DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Apple Watch the reason for degraded signal?

easyheimer

Reactions
So I flew my Mavic Pro last weekend and the signal kept cutting out for some reason. This is very uncommon with the Pro. I was trying to figure out why this was happening and even tried slapping the parabolic signal boosters on there (which make the signal worse btw), and still the same results.

Well yesterday I flew it in the morning and did not have a signal “flair up” or hiccup in signal. I was trying to figure out what I was doing different this time and the only thing I noticed is I wasn’t wearing my Apple Watch. That must be it.

Has anyone else noticed some interference with the Apple Watch? Looks like I’ll be flying Apple Watchless in the future.

Reactions: Paulf10
So I flew my Mavic Pro last weekend and the signal kept cutting out for some reason. This is very uncommon with the Pro. I was trying to figure out why this was happening and even tried slapping the parabolic signal boosters on there (which make the signal worse btw), and still the same results.

Well yesterday I flew it in the morning and did not have a signal “flair up” or hiccup in signal. I was trying to figure out what I was doing different this time and the only thing I noticed is I wasn’t wearing my Apple Watch. That must be it.

Has anyone else noticed some interference with the Apple Watch? Looks like I’ll be flying Apple Watchless in the future.

Interesting thought. I’ve never noticed it, but still something to think about.

Reactions: easyheimer
Yes. I discovered this last year. Not the drop outs but I don’t wear my watch when flying after I found that my compass calibration failed every time I had it on. Calibration was good every time I took it off and left it in the car.

Reactions: Paulf10 and Bekanne
Yes. I discovered this last year. Not the drop outs but I don’t wear my watch when flying after I found that my compass calibration failed every time I had it on. Calibration was good every time I took it off and left it in the car.

That's real, and a completely different problem. The magnetic clasps create a significant magnetic field.

Reactions: Paulf10

Apple Watch will definitely cause magnetic interference due to proximity of watch on wrist to remote controller.

Apple Watch will definitely cause magnetic interference due to proximity of watch on wrist to remote controller.
I cannot confirm. I'll be flying for years with an Apple watch with all kinds of DJI RC's and non-DJI RC's - never had a problem.

I’ve worn my Apple Watch (1st Generation) on every flight I’ve made and never experienced any problem. I don’t think it’s the watch causing the pause. But I am not an electronics engineer.

With all the possible contributors to the cause of this issue you find it safe to assume it was the Apple Watch? The device you are flying with connected to your controller doesn't have bluetooth, wifi or cellular radios?

We are predisposed to fitting the obvious and convenient to the unexplained and very often wrong.

I never bother with aeroplane mode on any of the devices I fly with and have worn an Apple Watch on numerous occasions without issues.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Seems if I suspected my watch keeping me from flying, even if it's not the cause, I'd take it off.
You could experiment a bit to see if there's a pattern.

Reactions: Gindra
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO