DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

are androids working better?

MrBigbe

Reactions
My Drone gets here Monday, and i have a moto z play and downloaded the app already. But I am wondering if all the android stuff is still having issues. I have read all of the threads I can find but nothing from the last couple of months. Really want to start off on the right foot. my main concern is lag and losing app. not opposed to buying new tab or phone. Any suggestions or warnings?

Thats a bit like worrying if you should put the brolly up becuase it may rain.
You have a moto Z and although the app, Go4, has now IMO on V.22 being rectifyed and working without issue on Android, may or may not work on your phone.
You will not know till you get your Mavic and update it to latest firmware and try it. I use the Wunderphone (Huawei XT2) which is absolutely brilliant but still have a Samsung S5 which was glitchy and video was pixiated and latency was bad on Go4 V.18 but now works OK on V.22.
Even iOS is having problems depending on phone software.
Fanboys swear by iPAD Mini 4s but not a lot can afford xtra 4 to 500 dollars. $50 Wunderphone kicks ipad and is very bright in sun. So there are choices out there and it doesn't have to be expensive.

Thanks , do you use the xt2 for just your drone? the only one i see on amazon is for pre paid att.
my concern is I don't want to go through all the heart ache of getting this drone , take it out flying and have it be a crappy experience. and I am not big on spending 500 bucks on a mini. I looked at dji website and they have not updated the compatible device list in awhile from what I can see.

Here is the REAL deal.
Whatever device you use has to be able to keep up with the great amount of Data transfer from the remote to the device, including HD video data if you are recording. This loads up a tiny phone pretty quickly.
If you free up the processor by disabling everything you can that is not related to the flight, Apps, Phone, social media, etc. Switch the phone to airplane mode and your chances are better at having no crashes.
The general consensus as I have concluded is either a dedicated NON phone device, or Ipad/iphone seem to be the best choice.

Why would recording in HD to the onboard SD card tie up device resources???

There is video that is being transmitted back to the device / phone so one can see a real time video display.
Then there is cached video that is in a lower resolution that is being downloaded to the device and saved.
Then there is the sensor data and control signals that need to be transmitted back and forth to control the drone and provide information

When you add all that to the device that is also responsible for keeping the Operating System afloat and managing any already running applications and services it becomes quite data intensive.

Oh I'm not doubting you at all bud, the Mavic used to fly on my tablet, doesnt now.. Still records in HD still does all the telemetry etc.....
As I've said before, Litchi works fine with no lags or glitches at all..
My tablet was fine since purchased new, as a dedicated device last May/June??? What has DJI done to the crAPP since .18?
Secneo????

I've had zero problems with the Samsung Galaxy S5 I'm using as a dedicated device for the Mavic. I set it up as prescribed (e.g. removed almost all apps, nothing running other than DJI Go4, airplane mode, removed SIM card) and it's, so far, been rock-solid. Seems like I've seen more iOS issues after the latest Go4 update than I have Android issues.

I've had zero problems with the Samsung Galaxy S5 I'm using as a dedicated device for the Mavic. I set it up as prescribed (e.g. removed almost all apps, nothing running other than DJI Go4, airplane mode, removed SIM card) and it's, so far, been rock-solid. Seems like I've seen more iOS issues after the latest Go4 update than I have Android issues.

are you able to fly a good distance and keep stable video?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji