DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are DJI drones too safe?

flydronefly

Reactions
I know that DJI makes the safest drones. They have remote ID, ADS-B, obstacle avoidances, geofenced no fly zones, and even altitude limits. Hands down it would be difficult to messup flying a DJI drone, especially legally.

But are they TOO SAFE? Some drones do not have No Fly restrictions, which of course has its pros and cons. Ditto FPV quads that don't have obstacle avoiance but are built to withstand crashes.

These restrictions imposed by DJI ensure a safe flying experience, but do any of you feel restricted and wish that these were not included in the products or at least optional features?

Last edited by a moderator:
<<..but do any of you feel restricted and wish that these were not included in the products or at least optional features?>>
There will be a ton of “YES’s” on this, but it’s been complained about for a long time. (I’m probably in the yes camp myself) It’s like opinions…we’ve all got ‘em. Mostly, we focus on things like LAANC authorization and how to avoid breaking the rules on this. But yes, problems come up on this all the time. Quick search of the threads will show it.

most of the things you mentioned ,have been put in place to appease the rule makers around the world ,and to demonstrate that DJI drones can be flown safely ,even by people with no ,or very little knowledge of airspace restrictions or safe operation, dont blame DJI for having such restrictions ,they are just trying to comply

I know that DJI makes the safest drones. They have remote ID, ADS-B, obstacle avoidances, geofenced no fly zones, and even altitude limits. Hands down it would be difficult to messup flying a DJI drone, especially legally.

But are they TOO SAFE? Some drones do not have No Fly restrictions, which of course has its pros and cons. Ditto FPV quads that don't have obstacle avoiance but are built to withstand crashes.

These restrictions imposed by DJI ensure a safe flying experience, but do any of you feel restricted and wish that these were not included in the products or at least optional features?
At first, no. I liked the restrictions. It made me realize there were rules. So I studied the rules and gained as much knowledge as I could to follow the rules as a recreational pilot. But now, that i'm done with all that. I find DJI excessively prohibits use. To many warnings, to much geofencing, longer start up procedures, etc. You may find you want to fly in a house or in a back yard and shoot video and pics of your friends at a party or holidays, but it's near an airport. DJI WON'T LET YOU TAKE OFF AT ALL, even inside the house. I have successfully transitioned from DJI to AUTEL since then. I only own one DJI, the AIR2S. However I will take a look at the Mav3 or whatever DJI may put out in it's place. I weigh the pro's of the drone vs the cons of the restrictions.

Reactions: Jam0ne
Decisions should be made by the pilot about what is safe and what is not. Example: There is this beautiful lake in the Sierras which is close to a very small airport. The lake is surrounded by mountains and is not anywhere close to a planes flight path.

DJI put a fence around the entire area. This beautiful lake and surrounding mountains are off limits?
I have had my mav 2 for about 4 months and am already looking at alternatives. Every time I go somewhere I worry I'm going to be fenced out.

Surely there are some hacks available to override the fencing?

Reactions: Mavic2zoomAptos
Because there are too many people who seem to lose their minds when flying drones, I am okay with drone manufacturers designing in STUPID limits. That said - people will still find ways to use their talent - regardless of what the manufacturers do. One of my favorite examples of this human trait is the guy that strapped a JATO pack onto the roof of his car then actually ignited it.

At first, no. I liked the restrictions. It made me realize there were rules. So I studied the rules and gained as much knowledge as I could to follow the rules as a recreational pilot. But now, that i'm done with all that. I find DJI excessively prohibits use. To many warnings, to much geofencing, longer start up procedures, etc. You may find you want to fly in a house or in a back yard and shoot video and pics of your friends at a party or holidays, but it's near an airport. DJI WON'T LET YOU TAKE OFF AT ALL, even inside the house. I have successfully transitioned from DJI to AUTEL since then. I only own one DJI, the AIR2S. However I will take a look at the Mav3 or whatever DJI may put out in it's place. I weigh the pro's of the drone vs the cons of the restrictions.
I felt the same as you.
When I FIRST got the drone, I was "OK" with all the "safe" features,
I saw this topic 3 days ago and was saying how good the "safety features" were, until TODAY.. when the "safety" (over protective) system GROUNDED ME,
so I couldn't participate in the "drone flying party" i was invited to

Everyones drones was UP IN THE AIR, except ... the "DJI Drone Guys" drone

I felt the "nannyism" and "holding my hand" effect from DJI today.

I use Airmap to "schedule/get authorization" before I leave my residence, MAPPED out my Flight path.. got the OK,
checked if there were any flight restrictions in the area (TFR) , none noted
Drove to the spot, and other drone flyers are there with their FPV , HolyStone and other brand drones,
I pull up, power on my drone, App, and BAM!!!... Authorization Zone restriction pops up...
After 10 minutes of trying to clear it.. i went over 300 feet away from the other droners, ( wondered if their remotes was affecting mines ), the attempt to Fly/Unlock was same...

The one other time i ever ran into an "Authorization Zone" restriction, i was able to press the "Unlock" button, i believe entered my phone number, and SUBMIT and in less than 30 seconds the plane was "released" and i WENT UP (flying)
Today, i tried for over and over for an about an hour, with NO SUCCESS... (server errors) ... i screen recorded one of the attempts...

* the other droners reported there were NO PLANES /HELICOPTERS in the area while they flew ( there never is unless some Emergency occurs )

I will not be getting any more DJI drones , and not recommending them, for this plus other reasons I have posted on the forum

I'll probably put up my Mini 2 for sale soon, and get a MJX or Hubsan
just need a camera drone with 3-axis gimbal for good stabilization , and at least 2.7K/30fps video quality,
even if the range is only 1,000 feet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS