DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are expectations too high for the Mavic Mini?

RMDXON

Reactions
So many of the Fly Away or Crash topics for the Mavic Mini seem to be wind or weather related. When the Mavic Mini was first announced I think many pilots questioned how a sub 250 drone would handle the wind. I own a Spark, an MP1 and a Mini. Admittedly I'm a pretty conservative flyer but I would never fly the Spark like I fly my MP1. I also would never fly the Mini like I do the MP1. Just seems like so many Minis are lost or crashed because they are being asked to do what a larger, stronger aircraft is capable of. I like my Spark and Mini, but operationally in less the perfect conditions I will always use the Mavic Pro. Part of me believes DJI is responsible by hyping a 4 km range. I couldn't see my car 4km away let alone a drone. Am I being too cautions or is this little drone being asked to do more than it is capable of?

Meh... I have watched many of these crashes on YouTube and here before buying my MM. Firstly, more than 90%, or so, of these crashes are entirely due to pilot mistakes or flying under conditions that should be avoided according to the manual. Secondly, I think that some people don’t realise that they are buying a drone for photography or video making. Evidently they think the drone is some kind of action toy that they can fly like you drive an RC motor vehicle (verified by the large amount of people constantly flying the drone in sports mode).Thirdly, I think the drone is actually very complex for the average user as many don’t have any idea on how to get the most out of the camera setting for instance. And when something is complex many tend to just give up and don’t care much for the product.
I think the MM is an elegant small camera drone that you can bring with you everywhere you go and in almost every situation. However, it should be flown and treated with delicacy and care.

So many of the Fly Away or Crash topics for the Mavic Mini seem to be wind or weather related. When the Mavic Mini was first announced I think many pilots questioned how a sub 250 drone would handle the wind. I own a Spark, an MP1 and a Mini. Admittedly I'm a pretty conservative flyer but I would never fly the Spark like I fly my MP1. I also would never fly the Mini like I do the MP1. Just seems like so many Minis are lost or crashed because they are being asked to do what a larger, stronger aircraft is capable of. I like my Spark and Mini, but operationally in less the perfect conditions I will always use the Mavic Pro. Part of me believes DJI is responsible by hyping a 4 km range. I couldn't see my car 4km away let alone a drone. Am I being too cautions or is this little drone being asked to do more than it is capable of?
no not at all it is a shame that the MM is more prone to (blow aways ) and i think some of that is down to the hype that was shown on a lot of the videos about it before its release,in trying to get the MM under the 250g weight limit it is clear some compromises have had to be made ,but if you read the manual and use some common sense when you choose whether to fly or not then you will be perfectly fine

no not at all it is a shame that the MM is more prone to (blow aways ) and i think some of that is down to the hype that was shown on a lot of the videos about it before its release,in trying to get the MM under the 250g weight limit it is clear some compromises have had to be made ,but if you read the manual and use some common sense when you choose whether to fly or not then you will be perfectly fine

What he said ^

i don’t think expectations are too high, I think self education is too low.

This was mentioned in another thread but I think the MM quick start guide should have a warning in it about wind (there is none). I don't think a lot of new fliers understand the impact of wind when flying a very light drone like the Mini. I'm also guessing that a new flier is anxious to get flying and will grab the quick start guide as the place to get the drone launched as quickly as possible.

It's not that bad if you know what you are doing.
Check the inflight winds and wind map / wind profile:

This was mentioned in another thread but I think the MM quick start guide should have a warning in it about wind (there is none). I don't think a lot of new fliers understand the impact of wind when flying a very light drone like the Mini. I'm also guessing that a new flier is anxious to get flying and will grab the quick start guide as the place to get the drone launched as quickly as possible.
there are two types of newbie drone fliers ,and they fall into
( A) open the box this is so simple any fool can do it ,now just charge the battery plug in a few bits ,now into the garden ,start the motors ,look at that thing climb oh no where's it going its gone what a piece of crap i must tell others not to buy it
(B) i have just spent a considerable amount of cash on this great bit of kit and to that end i am going to do some research and find out how it works
i know i will ask for advice on the Mavic Forum that way my new drone will have a better chance of lasting

Well said, one and all! It’s a great little drone within its limitations.
Old Man Mavic, I strongly endorse your option B above.???
@Dbez1 thanks for your comment, got on my soap box a bit there,but heh say it like it is

You beat me to this topic as I was going to say similar. I've a Mavic Pro and recently bought a Mini and am treating it as a completely different drone. Reading the manual and looking here and YT etc. to learn as much as possible before venturing out.,
I did a few test flights outside with / without cage to learn how it flies and check out the on-screen information before venturing further away or higher.
This little thing is so light and there is no way it can match the flying parameters of larger UAV's so I think people need to be more cautions until fully comfortable with the MM's capabilities.

You beat me to this topic as I was going to say similar. I've a Mavic Pro and recently bought a Mini and am treating it as a completely different drone. Reading the manual and looking here and YT etc. to learn as much as possible before venturing out.,
I did a few test flights outside with / without cage to learn how it flies and check out the on-screen information before venturing further away or higher.
This little thing is so light and there is no way it can match the flying parameters of larger UAV's so I think people need to be more cautions until fully comfortable with the MM's capabilities.
I own 5 different types of drones, and they all fly a little different, and have different limits

Mm has been a fantastic introduction to drone world for this newbie. I’m a pretty accomplished photographer who was intrigued by the perspective opportunities offered by drones but not so intrigued that I’d plunk down $1,500 I’m also a tech geek so have been careful to read everything I can before flying. The limitations are clear but if you use it when and for what its built it’s an awesome little machine. And of course (as DJI probably expected) I’m already planning my upgrade for tougher conditions and enhanced photographic capabilities. so will be spending that $1,500+ soon?. Love my mini!

Different drones, different personalities. Even my twins (P4P) don’t fly the same. My MM’s personality is more of a challenge, it is my Wild Child. But I love it now, used to just like it. Buying ‘Baby Bird’ (BB) a few toys now that my Phantoms have finally welcomed it into the family. The Mini can be a blast to fly, if you don’t panic! And don’t fly low (under 20ft) over any single color surface, water, snow, sand etc. or it may descend without input. Personalities, and personally I’m glad it was not my first drone. Enjoy y’all

hows the mini compare w/ the spark?

getting crazy amount of MM repairs not so many sparks (is discontinued)

on the repair side the mini is a much easier fix. The spark you replace the whole frame and rewire it. So is the mini more crash prone (due to pilot error) than a spark?

Reactions: Capt KO
The Spark is a tank compared to the Mini. I let my grandson fly the Spark and it's survived a fence, trees, bushes and a close call with the dog.
More caution is needed with the Mini. I took it to the beach in Florida over the holidays and flew it in a stiff breeze. I did not let get more than 20 - 30 feet AGL and kept it close. Did the job taking picture of the family enjoying the ocean. Fly the Mini with caution and it will do a good job for you.

hows the mini compare w/ the spark?

getting crazy amount of MM repairs not so many sparks (is discontinued)

on the repair side the mini is a much easier fix. The spark you replace the whole frame and rewire it. So is the mini more crash prone (due to pilot error) than a spark?
Are you doing Mini warranty repairs? Or are most of them pilot error, self pay? Can’t imagine a $250 repair bill for a mini. Hopefully they’re cheaper to fix.

Are you doing Mini warranty repairs? Or are most of them pilot error, self pay? Can’t imagine a $250 repair bill for a mini. Hopefully they’re cheaper to fix.
We are not DJI so we don't do warranty repairs. Most of our repairs are out of warranty or pilot error. A broken arm is an easier repair as you can replace just the arm (not the whole frame). However if there are multiple arms broken and say a busted gimbal it can get pricey though...

All good perspectives posted. I have learned to temper my expectations to be lower and, therefore, more realistic, my pre-purchase research, and my capabilities. I find that I live with fewer regrets.
I have found the Mavic Mini to be a great flightbag companion to my Mavic Air. Both have their qualities that compliment each other and my flying style. They make for a fun day of flying for my nephew and I. Enjoy your safe flying.

Last edited:
From my point of view, as a new pilot who bought a MPP, it's down to ignorance.

I flew my MPP in quite strong winds when I first got it, without really understanding the risk I was taking. The drone coped with it but gave me a few warnings, which I didn't take much notice of.

Now, with a much better understanding to what happens when a drone is flying against a strong wind, I would not be flying in those conditions, in the locations that I did.

If I had bought a MM and flown it in those same conditions, it is very likely I could of lost or damaged it.

A mini can only cope with 18mph wind, this is a Force 4. So, you could probably expect to reach that at 100m, when it's a Force 2 at ground level.

Reactions: Peio64270
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada