Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are the DJI Goggles really worth it?

What should I do with the DJI Goggles?

• Keep them.

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Return them.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Return them and pick up the Mavic Mini.

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

easyheimer

Reactions
So my wife bought me the DJI Goggles for Christmas and I haven’t opened them yet. I’ve been watching a lot of reviews on them and they seem really cool, but they’re super expensive. I’m not sure I’d use them that much and with the VLOS rules I can’t see them being too useful for every day use. It would be cumbersome to bring them around with me along with my drone(s). I was eyeing the Mavic Mini to pick up for a super portable drone and basically would only need to pay $50 more than the Goggles after returning.

I’m very torn on this and would like some opinions.

Thank you!

Reactions: Bill combs
I'd say get the Mini, but understand all of it's limitations and current issues

Reactions: dirkclod
I think the current issue is always going to be a issue.
It just don’t like wind. New flyers that don’t understand
how to fly in it have issues but for the money I love mine.
Like lannes said just understand its limitations.

I have the RE goggles, they're about all I use flying the Mavic 2 except for autonomous flying with Litchi. Much better as a photographic and video plaform. Definitely preferable to to VLOS from a standpoint of controllability and enjoyment, and photography/video. I still occasionally use my Phantom 4, but only with Litchi or VLOS.

Reactions: WAXMAN
I have both the Mavic Pro (1) and the white DJI goggles since the very beginning. I also have the Mini.
When flying the Pro with goggles this is almost perfect and way better than anything else. I am using them with the Pro in 99% of all flights. So, as long as you are flying your Pro the goggles are a thick plus.

But if you are eying at the Mini as a replacement for your Pro the goggles don't make sense anymore, as they are actually not compatible to the Mini and due to my optinion will never become.
For me, the Mini will never be a full replacement for my Pro due to its limitations in range, maximum speed, wind resistance and connection reliability, but it will take over a lot of flights from the Pro due to its small size, weight, portability and noise level. I am even flying the Mini with smartphone goggles, too, as the feeling is so much better compared to looking onto the smartphone screen at the remote.

So I cannot propose a decision for you, you must do it on your own, based on your plans and expectations. If you are planning to keep your Pro for the next 2-3 years, the goggles make sense, but be aware that they are in fact just optimised for Mavic Pro (1) and not future-proof. I guess we might see a next generartion of goggles coming up this year.

Last edited:
Used with the regular Mavics, the goggles are amazing technology. Best resolution in the industry, as far as I know, and as close to being on the aircraft as you are going to get.

Only you can decide if you’ll get enough use out of them, but when you do, you’ll be impressed.

Last edited:
I have both the Mavic Pro (1) and the white DJI goggles since the very beginning. I also have the Mini.
When flying the Pro with goggles this is almost perfect and way better than anything else. I am using them with the Pro in 99% of all flights. So, as long as you are flying your Pro the goggles are a thick plus.

But if you are eying at the Mini as a replacement for your Pro the goggles don't make sense anymore, as they are actually not compatible to the Mini and due to my optinion will never become.
For me, the Mini will never be a full replacement for my Pro due to its limitations in range, maximum speed, wind resistance and connection reliability, but it will take over a lot of flights from the Pro due to its small size, weight, portability and noise level. I am even flying the Mini with smartphone goggles, too, as the feeling is so much better compared to looking onto the smartphone screen at the remote
I agree with this. The only advantage to the Mavic Mini IMHO (price not withstanding) is its size, therefore its portability. These drones are photographic tools, and the best reason to have a Mavic Mini is that you're more likely to have it with you. Best comparison.....why carry your pro-level DSLR around with you when you have your cellphone in your pocket? For me, goggles are irrlevant with the Mini because bringing them with you removes the Mini's only advantage....size/portability.

So my wife bought me the DJI Goggles for Christmas and I haven’t opened them yet. I’ve been watching a lot of reviews on them and they seem really cool, but they’re super expensive. I’m not sure I’d use them that much and with the VLOS rules I can’t see them being too useful for every day use. It would be cumbersome to bring them around with me along with my drone(s). I was eyeing the Mavic Mini to pick up for a super portable drone and basically would only need to pay $50 more than the Goggles after returning.

Thank you!
i have the dji goggles white and the black re and eps glasses and i never fly with out them,it took alittle getting use to but now they are a necessity especially here in the arizona sun,i see everything much more clearly than i would with a phone or tablet because of being totally immersed with the goggle.

Reactions: WAXMAN and Thomas B
Return the goggles and get the Mini. I like the goggles for its build quality and resolution, but have not used it much since getting them almost 3 years ago. It was fun to try them out a few times, but there's a couple of glaring issues with them:

- You lose situational awareness with them on. Imagine getting kicked in the nuts as you're getting mugged. Can't defend yourself as you never saw it coming. I've taken my wife with me to address this, but she can't always accompany me.
- You will lose your ability to retain the best reception possible with your drone because after a while you won't be facing the right way anymore. I always have to flip the goggles up for this and after a while I just simply didn't use them.

They were great for viewing your drone footage, watching movies, youtube and Netflix, but after a while I realize it's still better to view them on computer monitor or my big flat screen. I still use them from time to time, but more to maintain its battery that actual utility.

Reactions: Mavic 57
I lean to the side of returning them and getting the Mini. As you said, with the VLOS rules you technically need to have a spotter to use them. I was considering the DJI googles to use with my Mavic Pro but decide not to since they wouldn't get much use. I have an Anafi I decided to get an inexpensive pair of Homido VR2 googles ($35) that work very well with my smartphone. The FPV experience may not be as good as with a DJI drone/DJI goggles but they're fine for me on the occasions I fly FPV.

Thank you!
You didn’t mention what other drones you have. I’m often confused about the MM being super portable. One of my drones is MPP that I bought with the fly more package. Everything, including 2 extra batteries, all fits in a very small and light leatherette bag. As far as being portable I just can't imagine getting any kind of bang for your buck with the MM. In reality you gain little to nothing as far as portability, and you would be downgrading on the drone.

This is just my opinion and I’m only referring to its portability. However if you just want a MM because you simply want one, then most definitely go for it. At my age when it comes to my hobbies I throw logic and reason out the window.

Best of luck on your decision.
Oh, one more thing! You obviously have a great wife!

You didn’t mention what other drones you have. I’m often confused about the MM being super portable. One of my drones is MPP that I bought with the fly more package. Everything, including 2 extra batteries, all fits in a very small and light leatherette bag. As far as being portable I just can't imagine getting any kind of bang for your buck with the MM. In reality you gain little to nothing as far as portability, and you would be downgrading on the drone.

This is just my opinion and I’m only referring to its portability. However if you just want a MM because you simply want one, then most definitely go for it. At my age when it comes to my hobbies I throw logic and reason out the window.

Best of luck on your decision.
Oh, one more thing! You obviously have a great wife!

I have a Mavic Pro and Mavic Air, both were fly more combos. I’m just torn since they are still within the return policy and this is the time to decide whether or not I’ll actually use them enough to warrant keeping them.

Yeah, she’s great!

I have the Black Goggles RE that I use with my M2Z. I agree with posts above regarding losing situational awareness and the need for a VO. That being said, flying with them is great. They are addictive. Like being in the cockpit.

However, my greatest joy, and the way I use them the most, is to let others put them on while I take them for a ride around the Oregon vineyard country I live in. The Ooos and Ahhhs and WOWs are worth every penny to me! I've also taken them to job sites in case a client would like to see what I am seeing without having to hover over my shoulder!

Good luck with making your decision. :) .

I have the Black Goggles RE that I use with my M2Z. I agree with posts above regarding losing situational awareness and the need for a VO. That being said, flying with them is great. They are addictive. Like being in the cockpit.
Everybody is different, I guess. My years as a pilot has put me in the actual cockpit on many occasions, a place where I am comfortable. I don't find any more issues with "situational awareness" flying drones with goggles than I do flying an actual airplane. In fact, decades of flying "conventional" RC aircraft entirely LOS has left with the strong belief that flying these things FPV is a safer and more satisfying experience.

Everybody is different, I guess. My years as a pilot has put me in the actual cockpit on many occasions, a place where I am comfortable. I don't find any more issues with "situational awareness" flying drones with goggles than I do flying an actual airplane. In fact, decades of flying "conventional" RC aircraft entirely LOS has left with the strong belief that flying these things FPV is a safer and more satisfying experience.
For me, the difference would be the very limited field of vision. This is especially an issue for me when I am close to objects. They quickly disappear from that field. Hence the need for a VO. I've been surprised a few times! But you are so right, Everybody is different!

Reactions: Paulf10

Thank you!
Once you start flying with Goggles, and you get good at it, you NEVER want to fly without them on anymore I dont, it gives me the super freedom to explore places I just cant with LOS. The immersion is outstanding, at 1080P the display is FREEKIN AWSOME !!! I only fly exclusively with Googles Now. Flying without them to me is a let down. not using your drone to its FULL POTENTIAL....I Have The Racing/RE Model, AND LOVE THEM...

Alright, you guys have me sold on the Goggles. I guess I’ll keep them seeing as though I have the Mavic Air as well and wouldn’t make much sense to get the Mini since the Air is all I need and it’s currently compatible with the Goggles.

I think it would make my wife happy if she saw me using her Christmas present anyways.

Alright, you guys have me sold on the Goggles. I guess I’ll keep them seeing as though I have the Mavic Air as well and wouldn’t make much sense to get the Mini since the Air is all I need and it’s currently compatible with the Goggles.

I think it would make my wife happy if she saw me using her Christmas present anyways.
The last thing you said is probably the most important, but congrats and enjoy!

Another bonus to the goggles, and I don’t know if this was mentioned earlier, is that your wife can actually enjoy them too. It has been a blast since I got mine a couple years ago to let others wear them while I control via the smart phone. They get all of the sensation of flying without having to distract themselves with Controlling the drone. Just make sure you have a chair handy so they can sit down and fully enjoy the experience

Reactions: GerdS
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest