DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are the props in the shot still?

ccurry

Reactions
Looking to pull the trigger on an Air 2S but I was hoping that DJI fixed the props in the shot issue. I can’t find anything online about it being fixed yet with an update. Anyone have any info on this? Just curious.

Looking to pull the trigger on an Air 2S but I was hoping that DJI fixed the props in the shot issue. I can’t find anything online about it being fixed yet with an update. Anyone have any info on this? Just curious.
The props in shot issue is that some users don't understand that the drone tilts forward to fly forward.
To fly faster, it tilts further.
If you have the drone tilted forward and want to look straight ahead, the camera will be looking through the props.
If you tilt the camera down, or slow the drone, you can avoid shooting through the props.

Flying in Sports mode flat out and gimbal straight forward will show props with pretty much all the DJI consumer drones.
Angling the gimbal down quite a bit will get them out of shot, but you probably lose the forward vision / scene too much.

Usually in normal mode or cinematic, generally no chance of props in view, except if flying into a very strong wind perhaps.

Some people confuse prop shadows for seeing the props, this is just a matter of orientating you drone shots better to the sun and / or again angling the gimbal down a bit out of the shadow line.

Buy it. You can fly / film around any issues like that.

Reactions: ccurry
Very limited flying time with my Air 2S but I have logged 4 batteries so far with it. Been flying UAVs since 2014 and know that most UAV's will show props in video if you do not angle the camera down at least 9°. As mentioned the drone in flight will tilt forward and you get the props in the video or prop shadow from the sun. The only drone I have seen that does not get any of that is the Anafi.

Reactions: rgarjr and ccurry
My question is, does anyone with knowledge of this issue who has an Air 2S know if it’s been fixed with an update?

Also see one of many videos on the internet about the Air 2S props in shot issue.
I'd be very dubious about those sources.
Several of them have a poor understanding of technical aspect of drones, but don't let that stop them making alarmist videos.
The forum you quoted isn't a great place to get accurate information either.

My question is, does anyone with knowledge of this issue who has an Air 2S know if it’s been fixed with an update?
We fly In Extreme Weather and I have never had that happen but I suppose I could force it to happen which is what the video is really showing,

So there is not update and if you want to force your gimbal to the Far right and fly the opposite direction your going to force the Props into the shot , but I am not sure why you ever want to do that.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your AIR 2S in the Pouring Rain , heavy winds and Land on the Water.

Reactions: ccurry
I understand user error and completely get that aspect of it, but this seems to be an issues with the Air 2S in general, even when I’m master shots.

I understand user error and completely get that aspect of it, but this seems to be an issues with the Air 2S in general, even when I’m master shots.
Did you look at any of the information in this thread that you posted?

Did you look at any of the information in this thread that you posted?
Yes, I’ve actually studied it in great detail, but not just that thread or those videos. I’ve seen dozens. If you google it you will see it all over the internet. I just used that video because it was the first one I grabbed. I actually watched an unboxing of probably one of the best and most knowledge drone flyers on social media who did a first flight video and even in his video the props showed up, which he thought as strange for simply turning the drone around. That’s what sparked my interest in this before I decide to buy one. I’ve seen props in drone videos before, I’ve owned many drones but again this seems more like an isolated incident to the Air S2 or at least some of them.

I'm generally an Air 2S naysayer but I think the props-in-the-shot objection to it is among the weakest. The flight time is what keeps me away. But if you like excellent video and photos, pull that trigger and get the A2S. It looks like a great drone, though a little on the ugly side with those spider eyes. :D

I've had the Air 2s for a month or two now, flown about 150 hours. The only time I've gotten the props in the shot is when I've manually angled the gimbal upward and to the left or right. And I'm a newbie to sUAV flying so I'm either lucky or it's a non-issue.

Reactions: PAW
Oddly enough, I have yet to see the props at all while flying/recording with my 2S. Purchased about five weeks ago. I have recorded in all modes, at all speeds and at just about every angle. I have yet to see the props at all, even once.

The props in shot issue is that some users don't understand that the drone tilts forward to fly forward.
To fly faster, it tilts further.
If you have the drone tilted forward and want to look straight ahead, the camera will be looking through the props.
If you tilt the camera down, or slow the drone, you can avoid shooting through the props.
There's was an option in the settings for tweaking the flight model so that the forward sensors cheat to one side as much as possible by rotating and pitching the drone while it flies to maximize how much the collision forward and top sensors can see and get a little side obstacle avoidance. In theory. They warn that you can see propellers in the scene depending on what you're doing with your drone. I turned this to composition and the issue went away. By default this was turned to obstacle avoidance.

I just went through my fly app, it's been a good month or two since I last got to fly due to the temps being *way* above 104 during the day, and I can't find that setting any more. It looks like DJI might have patched it out.

I *have* discovered that the app has granular gimbal settings for each mode of the drone and that is new to me.

Anyway OP yes the Air 2s has solved the prop visibility in virtually all situations I've flown the drone in. It wasn't really a "problem" to begin with it was just an extra safety mode you could turn on.

Found the setting in a video:
1627953850154.png

Last edited:
Reactions: azmikew
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580