DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are there any light on the wallet options to take 107 classes?

J3ffrey

Reactions
My recent re-interest in this topic has a retired friend of mine wanting to take the 701 course and possibly join in a business idea we came up w/ last night at dinner (yes, I know these things usually fade away but hey why not at least be excited about it) in a way to use the drone to make $$ (yes we prob arent the first one with this specific idea, but after looking around this morning, there seems to be a need for sure!)..

The problem is it appears to be 200-300 bucks for an online course these days... that takes the wind out of his sails... while I'm willing to front him some $$ I really don't have it either (after spending close to 1000 myself on drone + classes + test costs, etc..)... is there an alternative out there for a bright person? He's always had more than 4.0 average and passed his USCG captains course in one day of testing (when they tell you to at least break it into two days)...

I've googled it and only come up with the route I went.. a while ago.

My recent re-interest in this topic has a retired friend of mine wanting to take the 701 course and possibly join in a business idea we came up w/ last night at dinner (yes, I know these things usually fade away but hey why not at least be excited about it) in a way to use the drone to make $$ (yes we prob arent the first one with this specific idea, but after looking around this morning, there seems to be a need for sure!)..

The problem is it appears to be 200-300 bucks for an online course these days... that takes the wind out of his sails... while I'm willing to front him some $$ I really don't have it either (after spending close to 1000 myself on drone + classes + test costs, etc..)... is there an alternative out there for a bright person? He's always had more than 4.0 average and passed his USCG captains course in one day of testing (when they tell you to at least break it into two days)...

I've googled it and only come up with the route I went.. a while ago.
The Pilot Institute course is fantastic and currently $149. (LINK) It's a great value considering you're paying for a lifetime membership and can review for your renewal tests. I'm sure others will offer their suggestions.

Edit to add: You could be his teacher. All of the study guides are freely available as others have rightly stated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it you mean the part 107 exam? Yeah there is an alternative to paid study courses. Everything you need to study , pass and excel at the 107 exam is FREE and available right on the FAA's website. Many here (myself included) studied for and took the exam as soon as it came out and while there were a couple courses they were even more expensive at that time.

I never even considered paying someone to do, what I knew I could do on my own, and is turns out I am glad I did it by self study. That said, the initial exam will still cost you 150.00 or more to take and if you fail you will have to pay again.

I can't say it enough so I will repeat;) . . . . . everything you need to study and pass the 107 exam is on the FAA's website if you choose not to go with a paid training course.

Ok.. First I think you meant the Part 107 course, not the 701. I'll assume the typo and go with that.

Is there a cheap way to study for the Part 107 that doesn't break the bank? Yes there is:
Self Study. That's what I did and had no difficulty passing the test.

The candidate should have the FAA Part 107 study guide which can be downloaded. There are free tutorials with different subjects that you can watch on YouTube. The candidate can use the free practice tests to test one's knowledge and find deficiencies to go back to research the answers to the knowledge that is lacking. The practice tests, if you take enough of them will show some of the stupid FAA questions that always end up on the tests with the FAA looking for a specific answer while providing similar options in the multiple-choice answers. You'll know which ones they are as these questions always appear in all the practice tests.

The first guy I would look for for the Part 107 tutorial on YouTube is Tony Northrup. Will Pilot Institute or other commercial training business be more complete? I'm sure. He provides a lot of information for free. There are others as well. Once the candidate understands the categories that he will be tested on, then it's a matter of making sure that all of them are covered in study. Yes, it may take a bit longer to get through one's own study program, but it can be done without spending a dime. Why did I go that route? Because I have zero patience to watch through hours of videos. Self study was a much better pathway for me and not difficult if someone is diligent about it. If I can do it most can. JMO

Yes, my mistake, was typing too fast and talking on the phone at the same time.. whoops.

Thank you for your suggestions, they are great. The other reason I do not want to front the $ to him is that I've known him to show interest in something and then get bored with it. If this "idea" comes to fruition, it wouldn't 100% matter if he backs out, but, covering the 3 to 500 bucks and then having him not pay it back would be a big enough deal that I'm not going to loan it to him.

I went the paid route, and didn't mind it, however had I have known there was a "FREE" route (thanks google for burying that) it would have been an avenue to peruse for sure.

You guys are the best! Video sent and he's here reading your responses!

Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine ownself be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Farewell: my blessing season this in thee!
🤓

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Yes, my mistake, was typing too fast and talking on the phone at the same time.. whoops.

Thank you for your suggestions, they are great. The other reason I do not want to front the $ to him is that I've known him to show interest in something and then get bored with it. If this "idea" comes to fruition, it wouldn't 100% matter if he backs out, but, covering the 3 to 500 bucks and then having him not pay it back would be a big enough deal that I'm not going to loan it to him.

I went the paid route, and didn't mind it, however had I have known there was a "FREE" route (thanks google for burying that) it would have been an avenue to peruse for sure.

You guys are the best! Video sent and he's here reading your responses!

Getting into drones is a little bit like looking at an iceberg. At first; what you see is somewhat misleading as to the magnitude of what is underneath.

Some that get into drones, find the regulations, cost and complexity to master all the skillsets eventually too much and give up. But those that have interests in the types of thing drones can do; usually stick around. For example if you're into photography and video, then you'll find the challenge worth while. On the other hand, if one is looking to spend a 1000 bucks and turn 'drones' into a business that makes an nice little income, they may be in for a rude awakening.

I agree with TY Pilot (and others) on this subject. I watched Tony Northrup's video posted above many dozens of times. Keep in mind this particular video is 5 years old but it is still a valid and valuable resource to use along with others.
Realistically you CAN do this and the FAA is the original, authoritative source.
Whichever way you choose to go... GO FOR IT! Thumbswayup

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I would also recommend self study. When I went for my private pilot's license, that's how I did it, much to the chagrin of my flight instructors, who wanted to sit in a classroom and read to me. I'm going to guess that most of the knowledge for the test would come out of the FAA regs and they are found here, free of charge but there might be more to the test.

I used this book to study and take practice exams prior to talking the official 107 exam.

ASA Remote Pilot Test Prep 2023 edition:

The Tony Northrup video on Youtube has an excellent reputation. Like many older study guides it does not cover the April 2021 updates in regulations on night operations, operations over people/vehicles, etc. To be fully prepared one would need to find some additional resources on the updated regs. Sadly, even the FAA’s own Remote Pilot Study Guide remains out of date in these areas, but there are other other resources including links to laws, regulations, and Advisory Circulars at faa.gov/uas.

I really appreciate that self-study is a great choice for many people… but not all people! Everyone is a little different, yes? What is easy for one person may not be so for another. There is no shame in that.

There are so many resources at faa.gov/uas:

I used Drone U and saved a ton of money. You pay $57 a month. I paid for the first month, gained access to their entire suite of videos, tutorials, test prep guides, and webinars; studied for a month; took the test; then cancelled the membership. Total cost: $57 (It was $48 back then).

I used this book to study and take practice exams prior to talking the official 107 exam.

Something like that should suffice. BTW, there is a new version of it out for this year.

2023 Remote Pilot Test Prep: Study and prepare for your remote pilot FAA Knowledge Exam (ASA Test Prep Series): ASA Test Prep Board: 9781644252499: Amazon.com: Books

Even better and the route I'll take if I choose to get it, the FAA puts out this study guide for free.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

I’ll second the Tony Northrop suggestion. He presents the material in an organized and entertaining way so watching is not tedious. Several things there are obsolete, however. FAA Study Guide is important, as well. FYI, the part of the exam that I stumbled on was about runways. I had covered the subject while studying, but not enough.

Last edited:
Do not rely on the Northrup video. It's five years old and very out of date. While you only need a 70% to pass, without the OOP and night ops training that isn't in that video, you run a very good chance of not hitting that 70% without that knowledge.

Try the Prepware Remote Pilot App as a supplementary lesson plan.

I'd go with Pilot Institute. While $149, it's still the best of the bunch IMHO. They have a 99.8% success rate on passing. And if you don't pass the first time you take the test they will refund your money AND give you the testing fee ($175) back. Great bunch of guys and very very detailed. I bought another course before PI's and it was nowhere as good. Most courses teach to the test, PI teaches beyond that so you actually understand WHY and not just a cram course. Plus they have a ton of free classes for other aspects of drone flying.

I'd go with Pilot Institute. While $149, it's still the best of the bunch IMHO. They have a 99.8% success rate on passing. And if you don't pass the first time you take the test they will refund your money AND give you the testing fee ($175) back. Great bunch of guys and very very detailed. I bought another course before PI's and it was nowhere as good. Most courses teach to the test, PI teaches beyond that so you actually understand WHY and not just a cram course. Plus they have a ton of free classes for other aspects of drone flying.
Good reasoning. I have seen several of PI's YouTube contributions and totally agree. I have to remind myself that the fee is for lifetime access. Thumbswayup

The Pilot Institute course is fantastic and currently $149. (LINK) It's a great value considering you're paying for a lifetime membership and can review for your renewal tests. I'm sure others will offer their suggestions.

Edit to add: You could be his teacher. All of the study guides are freely available as others have rightly stated.
I took this and it helped me pass first time.

So I may be posting this in the wrong place, but I trust a mod will move it if so.
Took the FREE reccurent knowledge test on the FAA site. Thought I would have to go back to a testing center, but NOT SO! 40 questions or so. I was a bit dissapointed not to see any real weather questions except for humidity. Now I have my extention 3 months early. Oh well. 100 % NOT HARD.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929