DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you a drone scold?

BobaFut

Reactions
Inverting the "it finally happened to me" thread, I'm curious what folks do when they come across other drone operators blatantly breaking the law, particularly in a "this is why we can't have nice things" sort of way. Do you say something? Report them? I ask because today I was riding my bike to work and in one of the parks I ride through a couple of guys were flying a drone. "Seems fine" you say...well, this was in Arlington, Virginia, firmly ensconced in the DC Flight Restriction Zone (FRZ). For those not familiar, DC is a drone no-fly zone within a 15 mile radius of the White House, with no exceptions, practically speaking.

The drone they were flying looked maybe like a relatively cheap drone from Amazon or something, so I sort of assumed they were just newbs who didn't know better. My personal opinion is that the FRZ is an absolute joke and security theater and there was zero chance these guys would get caught. But it's also a rule that I would not ***** around with given that you're getting into Secret Service and Homeland Security and all that in addition to the FAA. So I considered just saying something like "hey guys, I'm a drone pilot, not sure you're aware but this airspace is restricted," and then moving along...but ultimately I just decided to let it go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jam0ne
Inverting the "it finally happened to me" thread, I'm curious what folks do when they come across other drone operators blatantly breaking the law, particularly in a "this is why we can't have nice things" sort of way. Do you say something? Report them? I ask because today I was riding my bike to work and in one of the parks I ride through a couple of guys were flying a drone. "Seems fine" you say...well, this was in Arlington, Virginia, firmly ensconced in the DC Flight Restriction Zone (FRZ). For those not familiar, DC is a drone no-fly zone within a 15 mile radius of the White House, with no exceptions, practically speaking.

The drone they were flying looked maybe like a relatively cheap drone from Amazon or something, so I sort of assumed they were just newbs who didn't know better. My personal opinion is that the FRZ is an absolute joke and security theater and there was zero chance these guys would get caught. But it's also a rule that I would not f*&k around with given that you're getting into Secret Service and Homeland Security and all that in addition to the FAA. So I considered just saying something like "hey guys, I'm a drone pilot, not sure you're aware but this airspace is restricted," and then moving along...but ultimately I just decided to let it go.
I think you made the right choice. If the SS, HS or FAA get involved it will be a stronger lesson and maybe amplified in the press as a warning.

What do you do when you see a motorist blowing through a stop sign or speeding? Do you confront the driver to advise of the infraction? You are not a law enforcement officer so treat an infracting pilot the same as you would a driver. Stay safe.

i always mind my own business,its much better than saying something,somehow ending up in some kind of altercation and possible with my face on “breaking news”…..let other people make mistakes and learn it hard way,enjoy your life 👍

I would not approach it with the idea of telling them they were wrong. If anything, I might watch the flight a bit and if invited to chat bring up the facts in a way that says, maybe you were not aware. Still, they decide what they are going to do but most drones (none I know) come with anything in the box saying what you can and cannot do. Sure, everything has rules which is why I have my 107. I figured if I am going to take the time to learn them I might as well pass the test too. Not everyone is interested and by the sound of things they were not ultimately going to do harm to anyone but it is something that adds to the public’s view of drones. So, I might see what the attitude is and choose to say something or not but as FLDave says, we are not law enforcement.

I think that I might approach the pilot, and in a nice way, let them know that they are flying in an FRZ.

1 A lot of (newbie) people flying (especially) the cheap drones, really don't know about FRZs etc.

2 Letting them know may help keep them from being involved in an altercation with the authorities. The fewer of these, the better for the rest of us. This would be especially true in an FRZ related to a "White House" level of FRZ.

3 If the pilot blows you off, well at least you've done your part.

4 I would have more of a deliberation about "reporting" them. But I also think that "self policing", within a particular interest group, is always preferable to having it continue until the "authorities" become involved.

Reactions: KI5RLL and Jam0ne
I agree we are not the "Drone Police". If they seem friendly maybe but overall people are not fond of other people telling them they cant do something - especially if it is not affecting them directly, You don't pull over cars over who are speeding do you? Let FAA and the police do their jobs unless you see a serious and immediate need to engage to prevent an accident/harm to someone. And even then I would be cautious - people are unpredictable.

Last edited:
The situation in Canada now is a little different than the USA, in that we have entirely removed the artificial distinction between commercial and recreational flying. It's all either Basic or Advanced operations now, depending on whether you need to fly within any controlled airspace. But originally it was set up a lot like in the USA where recreational pilots are given far greater leniency than anybody doing anything considered commercial. But at the time here in Canada, anything commercial required a full Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC), which was really cumbersome to obtain.

So I got asked by some friends if I could fly my drone at their wedding. Not during the actual ceremony, but just some general shots before and after at the golf course where their wedding was being held. I declined. It's just not something I would feel comfortable doing in such a public arena.

So their hired professional photographer turned up with a drone, and he flew it quite a lot taking video and photos of the wedding party at the fancy golf clubhouse. He was paid for the job, and I was curious about the process of obtaining the complicated SFOC permissions required for such a commercial job. As one drone enthusiast to another, I chatted him up and asked him how he does all that. His reply, "Ya, I keep meaning to look into that, someday, maybe...."

Sheesh. I wouldn't have been paid, had I chosen to voluntarily fly my drone. He and I both knew the rules existed. But he just flat out ignored the requirement for an SFOC. That's ballsy. Not something I would risk. But did I report him? No. If he had crashed his drone and injured someone, he'd have to deal with the consequences. But he looked like he knew what he was doing, flew safely keeping well away from people, so I had no issue with that.

If the rules are too complicated or too onerous for people to take the time to study and abide by them, then what's the point? People will not bother to read the rules, or will happily just ignore them. It's similar to the speeding example. Highway traffic generally flows at higher than the posted speed limit. If you insist on sticking to the legal limit in the left lane, you become a road rage hazard to other traffic. But if you follow the lead of the other traffic around you, it might just be your unlucky day that some bored traffic cop picks you out of the stream to give you a ticket.

Nowadays, in Canada, I could get paid to do the same wedding job using my sub-250 gram Mini. It doesn't need to be registered, nor requires either a Basic or Advanced certificate. It merely cannot be used in a way that can be seen as presenting a hazard to manned aircraft or people on the ground. That's pretty simple and makes sense.

Thanks great story, I do shoot drone for alot of big weddings (and have a 107). We have them put a disclaimer for the guests. I fly with the safety and the people in mind. THANK GOD I have never had an issue but I have insurance for just that reason. The fact is if something goes wrong its pilots fault 99% of the time and just like a car the person controlling it is responsible. I got no problem getting a lisc for something that has the potential to hurt someone (like a gun or car) and if someone wants to drive without a lisc its their risk. I do think the US laws need to change as well. But as we all know the law is only meant to deter people. People who break the law usually do so knowing they are breaking the law. Like I find it hard to believe the drone pilots living in that area dont know they cant fly.

Reactions: Zbip57
I don't like when someone in a position of authority questions me about something LOL.. I definitely do not like it when a stranger does. Let me flip this: how many of us have had a Karen or Ken come up to us while flying and they are telling us what we can and cannot do. That is how a person could interpret your actions if you approach them. They have no level of trust with a stranger.

Leave it alone unless there is a real danger to people or property.

Reactions: RoarRoar
I don't like when someone in a position of authority questions me about something LOL.. I definitely do not like it when a stranger does. Let me flip this: how many of us have had a Karen or Ken come up to us while flying and they are telling us what we can and cannot do. That is how a person could interpret your actions if you approach them. They have no level of trust with a stranger.

Leave it alone unless there is a real danger to people or property.
So far, everyone that has approached me with questions has been friendly and wanted to know more about it. I hope it stays that way.

Reactions: Jam0ne and Siam
"I have the same drone...." or..
"I have a drone, and when i try to fly here/there, the authorities warned me that it is illegal"...

That "allow/alerts" the "unaware pilots" to think to themself, that maybe, "i should check the laws/rules to see if this person (not a drone police) is correct".

I was driving thru a park in early summer 2022, saw a bunch of drones, 6 total, overhead (LARGE FTP and CAMERA drones) , pulled over and watched the "show", one pilot noticed me and asked me if I wanted to fly his drone, i informed him I am also a pilot and have my own drone in my vehicle.... saw that he had a child flying a Mavic2,, maybe 12 to 14 years old, i "mentioned" (slip in) that,
Me:"...oh my son just got his TRUST certificate so i got him his own drone too"...
Other pilot: " TRUST ? whats that ?"
Me: " Oh, its required test for all USA drones pilots to have now, even kids that just wants to fly in their backyard .. but its FREE so i didnt mind" . ..
See, i "informed the pilot, without schooling/scolding him"
Other pilot: "There is a test ? wow..... whats the site to take it ?"
Me: "faa.gov/trust i think ... wait... ( pulls out phone and finds TRUST certifications sites.. gives him LINK ) ..
Other pilot: "Wow, thanks for the info.."
A week later he calls me, "We about to meet up at the same place you saw us last week to fly, everyone of us read -up and took the TRUST test and got certified, my son is happy , he feels proud like he just got his drivers license (LOL) , thanks for the heads up"
I stopped by the park, to just shoot the breeze with them...Saw him and his Drone crew, and also his whole family, wife , kids.. he even made his daughter (about 10YO) take the "test" , even tho she was not really interested in drones, he said "someday she'll get into this, my son wasnt interested until after his first flight.. now he is hooked"
All my interactions with people flying drones, or me flying, has been positive .. no Karens as yet.

I had a friend visit from outta state last week. He has a mini 2 , didnt bring it but I asked him if he had his Trust. I had to explain to him what it was. He said I'm under 250 so I dont have to do anythingHe didn't seem interested in getting it. I said fine but if you get caught theirs consequences. He was like ok what ever. I left it alone after that.

I was in a situation last night at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. It's a pretty popular spot to fly from in Philadelphia. Great views of landmarks and the skyline.

Anyway... I get there and there are 2 other people flying. So like I walk over prior to them taking off, say hello, and let them know my plans to fly. Altitude, rough flight path etc. They were fine with it so was I it was more of a just looking out for you and me moment. When I was done I exchanged instagram info with them, and went on my way.

That is usually the only time I will say anything to someone else flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00