DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you charging remote controller from power bank?

I I think when you charge from power bank it seems the mavic battery would get charged at a lower rate, at least it feels like that for me. so no I usually don't charge it along with my battery. I just use my regular 2amp usb phone charger for it.

Reactions: Jim596
I charge mine five Mavic battery, no different then a power bank

I keep a Mavic battery in my pocket with a long cable plugged into my RC and charge it while flying. I think The RC lasts about four times longer than a Mavic battery so it's kind of an overkill. But I'm a little paranoid

WTF? They better explain which are compatible in this case!

I don't have a car to charge it and I plan to buy many more mavic batteries!

d782769b0f308595a099347a7cfb4d0c.jpg

Here is my current set up to stay alive on 3x drone batteries while my phone drains the RC remote...

Power bank output 5V/1.0A... Is that bad? [emoji19]

Reactions: Closus
The higher the amps of the battery bank the quicker the device will charge.
DJI should have added Qualcomm's quickcharge 2.0 or 3.0... But I guess there's no Qualcomm chip in there or they didn't want to pay license fees.

Reactions: jerryj
I charge the RC using the AC power bank all the time while charging my batteries and have never noticed any issues. Have also use the adapter and a Mavic battery. hardly uses any of the Mavic batter to charge it.

The controller needs a 5V 2 Amp line to charge. If u give it a 5V 1Amp it will take rwice as long to charge. There is no black magic to it. Its USB.... Its 5V ....

the output of the AC power bank for the USB ports is 5.0V 2.0A Max. This means between the 2 ports it will output up to 2A. So if only the RC is plugged in it will provide 2A but if you plug something else in such as a cell phone, it will drop to 1A per port..

the output of the AC power bank for the USB ports is 5.0V 2.0A Max. This means between the 2 ports it will output up to 2A. So if only the RC is plugged in it will provide 2A but if you plug something else in such as a cell phone, it will drop to 1A per port..
Not all power bank outputs are 2A. Most are 1.2A.

You can charge your controller with a power bank all you want when powered off, what the FAQ item is about is you shouldn't charge it during use.

Even with 1A? The less the amperage the best it is for battery longevity so I don't see how it can be bad...

I was thinking to use the powerbank just for a bit then let the battery drain so it don't get stuck to ~100% all the time.

So are there possibilities to charge while in use with particular power banks?

What they say is that charging while draining may cause the battery gauge IC to lose track of what's happening and result in reduced battery life (e.g. you only used 20% of the real capacity but it thinks the battery is empty and shuts down). Nobody has enough data to know if that's really a problem but it makes it pretty clear that DJI won't cover that case.
You can charge with any power bank but should do it between flights with the controller off.

So we are truly restricted by the remote battery... [emoji53]

My phone drains it so much, it is a real dilemma...

I have a brand new IPhone 7 Plus and I can Fly through three mavic batteries down to 30% and still have over 50% RC battery left and just under half of batt left on iPhone!! I always charge the RC off the power bank

The reason the battery drains so fast is that your phone battery is quite possibly not fully charged... So controller charges the battery and uses the app via the cable. One way of avoiding this is to ensure yoir phone is fully charged before using the controler. Thereby the controller will just voltage pulse the phone. On my Hauwei Mate 8 i can fly 5 and a bit batteries before having to recharge the control.

Ok I'll try that. But the best point of having a mavic is to use it on the go... It defies the "main purpose"!

You can charge your controller with a power bank all you want when powered off, what the FAQ item is about is you shouldn't charge it during use.

Can you please point, where DJI say about "during use" ?

All this DJI statement looks strange, because RC always charging from laptop when connected. If it dangerous, why it specified in manual for firmware upgrade?

Even with 1A? The less the amperage the best it is for battery longevity so I don't see how it can be bad...

I was thinking to use the powerbank just for a bit then let the battery drain so it don't get stuck to ~100% all the time.

So are there possibilities to charge while in use with particular power banks?
The load draws the current. Doesn't matter if your power bank can deliver 10 amps. If the controller only draws 2 amps that's all the power bank needs to deliver.

If it only delivers 1 amp then that's what the load will be drawing and it will take longer to charge.

This has no impact on battery longlifety.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929