DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you scared to fly at night?

Kywon McCain

⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
How do I lose my fear of flying at night?

Where I am is pretty dark at night. That means it wouldn't really be safe for me to fly anyway because of the low visibility. I wouldn't be even safe for the Mavic. Well, the first generation at least.

Unlike some of you grown ups and big boys with the inferead sensors you would find on your Mavic 2/air 2, my sensors are literal cameras. And these cameras, just like the human eye relies on light to see clearly. In the drones case, it needs light for to see obsicles and avoid them. Something they are not even good at. Even at 7:30pm.

Almost so far, the obsicles avoidance system saved me for Everytime I can't react enough, it hits the brakes so I don't have to.

As you can already tell, I can't get that at night time. That's where the phobia for flying at night comes in.

Oh! And another thing. The head LEDs probably mean nothing to aircraft unless they were strobes. The only strobes I ever saw on mine was the flashy light that change colors on the back. (I feel like the colors mean something..)

I would be nice if they implemented some anti collision light on the Mavic 3 (if that's not another propoganda)

I know the Mavic USS Enterprise have some thing you install on the top that has a strobe light that is somewhat decent as I seen in the videos, but it would be nice if it was built in.

Could you imagine trying to look at a blank black screen, relying only on the lights on the ground and VLOS to navigate? Couldn't be me...

How do you guys even do that with no fear?

Reactions: utexasx
City lights are generally bright enough to be seen. My Mavic Pro has 4 strobes (Red Green White) on it so I can see the direction of my flight path. Plus I know the terrain prior to sunset and know where any objects are that can cause issues. Flatter terrain is a good thing. Then (at least with my controller) I have flight stats to help navigate at dark. I prefer flying over water at dawn/dusk or night and it's not much different that daytime...if it goes down, it's probably history. To get over the fear, try taking your drone straight up and take a look around then land.

Reactions: JTZ and snowghost
"Mavic USS Enterprise"??????????? (A Trekie perhaps?)

Obstacle avoidance will most likely NOT WORK so if you rely on that then DO NOT fly. I got warnings with my M2P.
Also it is quite likely that the VPS will not work so position holding will be reliant on GPS and I have the impression that that is not as accurate/good as the VPS position holding.

You should ask yourself why you want to fly at night and what images you hope to capture, yes street lights can be very picturesque but flying over one location I suspect they would soon loose their appeal. More interesting might be long exposure shots with a tripod mounted camera.

In the USA are strobes, visible at a distance of 3 miles, not a legal requirement for night flights and might you not also need to pass one of your more intensive theory tests?

With regards to navigation, you should be flying VLOS and be able to determine the drone's orientation from VLOS so you should be able to navigate using that alone. That said to use street lighting you would need to be able to recognise patterns and or oddities. If your streets are grid-like that could be nigh on impossible.
I flew a test flight with the Mavic Mini a couple of nights ago and at one point lost sight of it for some reason, I don't remember why. The drone was less than 100ft away and the street where I live is in no way grid like. Using the street lights it took me maybe 5 to 10 seconds to work out where the drone was.

Yes. Mavic USS Enterprise, because that's exactly what it's called.

I don't completely rely on OS for everything, it's just that sometimes it seems things I don't and saves me from crashes. Hay. What's it like to have a M2p?

Where I am is pretty dark at night. That means it wouldn't really be safe for me to fly anyway because of the low visibility. I wouldn't be even safe for the Mavic. Well, the first generation at least.

Unlike some of you grown ups and big boys with the inferead sensors you would find on your Mavic 2/air 2, my sensors are literal cameras. And these cameras, just like the human eye relies on light to see clearly. In the drones case, it needs light for to see obsicles and avoid them. Something they are not even good at. Even at 7:30pm.

Almost so far, the obsicles avoidance system saved me for Everytime I can't react enough, it hits the brakes so I don't have to.

As you can already tell, I can't get that at night time. That's where the phobia for flying at night comes in.

Oh! And another thing. The head LEDs probably mean nothing to aircraft unless they were strobes. The only strobes I ever saw on mine was the flashy light that change colors on the back. (I feel like the colors mean something..)

I would be nice if they implemented some anti collision light on the Mavic 3 (if that's not another propoganda)

I know the Mavic USS Enterprise have some thing you install on the top that has a strobe light that is somewhat decent as I seen in the videos, but it would be nice if it was built in.

Could you imagine trying to look at a blank black screen, relying only on the lights on the ground and VLOS to navigate? Couldn't be me...

Do you know what VLOS means?

If you leave the lights on and keep it in sight (NOT a half mile away, behind a building, blocked by trees, above clouds or fog, or relying on the video feed from the aircraft) then night flight is NOT scary nor unsafe. Flying beyond your capabilities is not recommended. The only way to gain experience is to gradually expand the scope of your flying. Like anything else in life it takes dedication and diligence to get better at a skill.

I don't completely rely on OS for everything, it's just that sometimes it seems things I don't and saves me from crashes. Hay. What's it like to have a M2p?

You shouldn’t be doing that. The “screen” would have your drone in it. If you are familiar with the functions of your drone you will know that the lights mean different things and also help with orientation of the craft. Flying at night should only be done in a familiar and wide open area then there is not much to be scared of. Put it up above what you know is there, make sure all lights are on, learn how to tell orientation by the lights, keep it in sight and trust that you have done these things and there is little to worry about.

I dont fly when its just dark, nothing to really see. I do however like to fly well lit areas in the evenings that the camera can pick up. I have a couple of times taken off from my backyard where there is really nothing to see to check the extent of a power outage but with the flashing lights its not hard to track. Its the only thing in the area with light when I've done that. It looks cool to me, I wonder what my drone looks like to others who are outside with every other light in the area being off.

I dont fly when its just dark, nothing to really see. I do however like to fly well lit areas in the evenings that the camera can pick up. I have a couple of times taken off from my backyard where there is really nothing to see to check the extent of a power outage but with the flashing lights its not hard to track. Its the only thing in the area with light when I've done that. It looks cool to me, I wonder what my drone looks like to others who are outside with every other light in the area being off.
Hard not to be wise here and tell ya it probably looks just like it looks to you….🙄😉😀

Reactions: Droniac
I am not sure where you are geographically but if there are no hi rise buildings then just fly higher than the tallest tree. Also set your RTH altitude high enough to avoid obstacles. I also fly the M1P (I have two of them) and love them.

With regard to the flight status indicator light (on the back end of the body) i have attached for you what the different lights, colors and sequences mean. Hope this helps and stay safe.

Attachments

• M1P lights009.pdf
    435.6 KB · Views: 26
To OP…..are you turning on the led’s on the front arms? They can be set to switch on and off with one of the C buttons.

@howardK apparently the M1 is an addiction. Lol. I have an M1P and an M1X. They like company. Hahahaha
The LEDs are stuck on. They cannot be turned off.

Reactions: Droniac
Not to belabor a reply I made to you in another thread... You need to learn the rules. Night flying is (ONLY) allowed if you have "anti-collision" lights (strobes) that can be seen for 3 nautical miles. the LED's don't qualify.

Below is an image of how I have my Mavic 2 Pro configured for strobes. On the arms are red and green strobes (for orientation) and on the top and bottom are clear strobes. The top one is so aircraft can potentially see me and the bottom one is so I can keep sight of my drone from the ground. Here is a link to a summary of the rules of flying at night... Drone night flying link

1634829285783.png

Testing forum patience ?

NC-1701

• Haha
Reactions: okw
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett