DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

As a Pro are you still (unexpectedly to yourself!) NOT buying Mavic 3?

christangey

Reactions
Site
www.alicespringsfilmtv.com.au
I really didn't expect to be where I am today. I fully expected to pay much more for the Mavic 3, no problems. The "zoom" lens not great? Well I don't care much as it's effectively a bonus feature compared to the M2P anyway. Active tracking etc? Can take it or leave it really.

But here I am a week after launch still deciding not just when I will buy the Mavic 3, but even IF I will buy the aircraft at all, and I have had the money sitting in a separate bank account for nearly 2 years ready to pay the money. Take my money DJI! But no, that hasn't happened.

Just for some context as to what I do: I've owned 4 DJI drones. On the M2P I've shot for Warner Brothers, Universal Pictures and BBC. Shot films under Director Werner Herzog and DP Russell Boyd ACS, ASC. This year I was a finalist in the Boston Drone Film Festival, "Landscape" winner in AZDroneFest Arizona and have won 14 other international drone awards including 3 different festivals in New York City, blah, blah blah.....but just trying to point out I know my stuff a bit, and get paid to do it.

What is it with this "DJI Fly" thing? Really? I'd never heard of the app until yesterday and we are being forced to use this instead of DJI Go4? What? Why bring out a Pro drone and then go way backwards in app functionality, pretty much to beginner level? In all sorts of ways this drone is a beta version. Now that is fine, if DJI want to keep us updated on what they are doing and when, but are they really....and fully? Yes, we have all heard of this January 22 firmware update, but what about all the other features? Sami Sarkis from Hosiho(dot)net writes a great blog article on all this, translated from French to English in his site, it is easily understood. These are just some of his questions:

• The Dji Fly App is too simple for a professional pilot: why did you drop Dji GO 4? Are there any plans for a Dji Fly Pro?
  • Pros shoot manual! Why is it so hard to enter manual settings on DJI Fly? The Fly app may well be the dealbreaker for me.
  • Why is it impossible to install Dji Fly on your CrystalSky monitors?
  • We have listed the shortcomings of the version to be released in early November 2021: can you tell us what is likely to be added in terms of features, settings, etc.?

Other questions:

• We would like a real Tripod Mode with the possibility to adjust the Horizontal and Vertical speed as well: is this envisaged?
  • Rough and aggressive behaviour of the M3C in flight even in Cine mode: could we access and modify the parameters to adapt them to each pilot?
  • Should there be a stop when zooming with the 24mm from x0 to x4 in order to avoid going to x7 with a jump of images?
  • Zoom only at 30p: no 25p for Europe, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore?
  • Bring back a HQ/FOV mode like on the Mavic 2 pro please?
  • Iso at 400 or 800 in DLog Profile: why not from 100 to 1600 Iso like M2p?
  • Bring back the choice of file indexing mode, e.g. Continuous as on Dji GO 4?
  • ProRes recording on the 1Tb SSD: why not also record a H265/264 file on a microSD card like on the Inspire 2?
  • Will there be Waypoints?
  • Can you allow keyboard input of Distance or Altitude limits?
  • Allow the pilot to enter the battery warning thresholds like on Dji GO 4?
  • No HLG? Many Pros require an HDR format

Anyway my hope is that DJI will keep us "in the loop" and be honest and open about what they are doing as every day that goes by they risk Pros looking elsewhere
for other drones in this price and weight segment. Ok I've said my piece and now I'm going to clear my head in the "Outback":)

Last edited:
Thanks Chris for quoting me. It is really an honor, and I’m happy if my review helps pros to make a decision. Now we still have to inluence DJI to do their homework and deliver promptly a pro App and pro features, etc.
For those who wants to read the article, here’s the link.

Btw, Chris, I’ve watched your breathtaking Outback video. Incredible images for the least. I’m your fan now! And if you ever would like to sell it by license at fair prices, please consider joining our group of cinematographers on Hosiho.com (link in my signature: join our contributors).

@christangey
Thank you for your words.
I already lost faith in people, trying to defend DJI's launch here, especially when they call it pro: "It's so much better, for the real pro now." I am no pro at all, only flying recreational and 99 % doing stills. And yet even I can clearly see so many things going wrong.

As you pointed out, this drone in its current status lacks many, many things mainly from software side. There's hardly even any shot in all the commercials, that one could say: yeah, I couldn't do that with the previous models.
And while the M3 is a fabulous drone by the specs and the hardware, all those things you and @HOsiHO Drone Stock Images related, makes me cringe.

As on gaming: no pre-orders and no support for: "Yeah, we're kind of aware of these problems, but don't you worry, we are releasing all the features, that have become standard, soooooon". DJI personally running full on: "Let's try, if they buy anyway!".🙃

BTW:
Just for some context as to what I do: I've owned 4 DJI drones. On the M2P I've shot for Warner Brothers, Universal Pictures and BBC. Shot under Director Werner Herzog
Wow ... I really like Herzog's documentaries ... which one did you participate? Fireball, Volcano?😃

PS: Outback is great. 😀💛

Last edited:
@christangey
Thank you for your words.
I already lost faith in people, trying to defend DJI's launch here, especially when they call it pro: "It's so much better, for the real pro now." I am no pro at all, only flying recreational and 99 % doing stills. And yet even I can clearly see so many things going wrong.

As you pointed out, this drone in its current status lacks many, many things mainly from software side. There's hardly even any shot in all the commercials, that one could say: yeah, I couldn't do that with the previous models.
And while the M3 is a fabulous drone by the specs and the hardware, all those things you and @HOsiHO Drone Stock Images related, makes me cringe.

As on gaming: no pre-orders and no support for: "Yeah, we're kind of aware of these problems, but don't you worry, we are releasing all the features, that have become standard, soooooon". DJI personally running full on: "Let's try, if they buy anyway!".🙃

BTW:

Wow ... I really like Herzog's documentaries ... which one did you participate? Fireball, Volcano?😃
Yes to be honest I would have been quite happy with an M2P with the new 4/3 sensor, the new camera and higher bitrate. But maybe I'm just easy pleased! The film I worked with Werner on was the BBC production "Nomad-in the footsteps of Bruce Chatwin".

Yeah, the bigger sensor size was really all I was looking for, but who would have thought, that they downgrade (by now) in so many aspects to the M2P. Really glad, you took the time, to post here.

And thanks for the name, I don't know this yet. Going to put it ony my watchlist. :)
Have a great evening and many greetings from Austria, which is always mixed up with your Australia.🦌🇦🇹 🦘🇦🇺

Thanks Chris for quoting me. It is really an honor, and I’m happy if my review helps pros to make a decision. Now we still have to inluence DJI to do their homework and deliver promptly a pro App and pro features, etc.
For those who wants to read the article, here’s the link.

Btw, Chris, I’ve watched your breathtaking Outback video. Incredible images for the least. I’m your fan now! And if you ever would like to sell it by license at fair prices, please consider joining our group of cinematographers on Hosiho.com (link in my signature: join our contributors).
Thanks Sami, always happy to share the words of somebody who knows their stuff, plus cut and pasting saves me having to write it all out myself! 😎 I may have done a bit of stuff but it doesn't mean I know everything and I am keen to learn which I think is the only way to get better at what you do. Although, of course, I license directly to clients, I will certainly take a look at your Hosiho licensing model. Thanks again and keep up the great work with the blog! By the way, here are a few more of my films in one place: Aerial Cinematographer-Chris Tangey on Vimeo

Last edited:
Yeah, the bigger sensor size was really all I was looking for, but who would have thought, that they downgrade (by now) in so many aspects to the M2P. Really glad, you took the time, to post here.

And thanks for the name, I don't know this yet. Going to put it ony my watchlist. :)
Have a great evening and many greetings from Austria, which is always mixed up with your Australia.🦌🇦🇹 🦘🇦🇺
Ha love the emojis, kind of sums it up!

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Ha love the emojis, kind of sums it up!
Got to be prepared here, just in case someone's confusing, however it's a good country to be confused with. 😁
Your shots are breathtaking. Maybe some time, I'll get around ... have been watching Malcolm Douglas in the Bush as a child over and over again. Can't say, I'm no fan of your "island". ;)

Reactions: christangey
Got to be prepared here, just in case someone's confusing, however it's a good country to be confused with. 😁
Your shots are breathtaking. Maybe some time, I'll get around ... have been watching Malcolm Douglas in the Bush as a child over and over again. Can't say, I'm no fan of your "island". ;)
Yes if your name is globetrotterdrone you need to live it! Poor old Malcolm died about 11 years ago now doing what he loved, killed by his own vehicle in the bush! Let me do you a favour and let you discover another old "Bushy" who is worth watching. Search for "Jack Absalom" on youtube.

Last edited:
@christangey
I'll try, yet regulations and paranoia sometimes get quite overwhelming here. Nonetheless, shooting from above is unsurpassed.

Thank you for the tip with Jack Absalom. I'll get my hands on.
And yeah, poor old Malcolm. Hard to say, as I also wrote him a letter once, but I guess, he did, what he truly loved, until the end. It was just way too early. 😥 His recordings are still played regularly when wanderlust kicks in.

Thank you mate!

Reactions: christangey
I am not a pro. Having said that, I love indulging myself with pro quality equipment...Guitars, Photography, Competition R/C aircraft, and the like. I am not pro grade by any means but, fully enjoy using equipment far beyond my capabilities.

However, DJI's marketing tactics are beginning to leave a bad taste, before I even get in any deeper than I am.

I am a willing victim of GAS. But even though I'm easy prey, I feel a sense of "let's see if we can get away with it".

Any pros should feel an even greater sense of ..WTF? I suppose we should wait and see if they decide to step up and do the the right thing by all those that are trying to stand by them...we'll see....
DJI isn't the only game in town anymore.

I am not a pro. Having said that, I love indulging myself with pro quality equipment...Guitars, Photography, Competition R/C aircraft, and the like. I am not pro grade by any means but, fully enjoy using equipment far beyond my capabilities.

However, DJI's marketing tactics are beginning to leave a bad taste, before I even get in any deeper than I am.

I am a willing victim of GAS. But even though I'm easy prey, I feel a sense of "let's see if we can get away with it".

Any pros should feel an even greater sense of ..WTF? I suppose we should wait and see if they decide to step up and do the the right thing by all those that are trying to stand by them...we'll see....
DJI isn't the only game in town anymore.
Yes definitely a waiting game, I just don't think that DJI understand that many will only wait so long unless they are given information.

Last edited:
@christangey
I'll try, yet regulations and paranoia sometimes get quite overwhelming here. Nonetheless, shooting from above is unsurpassed.

Thank you for the tip with Jack Absalom. I'll get my hands on.
And yeah, poor old Malcolm. Hard to say, as I also wrote him a letter once, but I guess, he did, what he truly loved, until the end. It was just way too early. 😥 His recordings are still played regularly when wanderlust kicks in.

Thank you mate!
No probs Cobber

I said it when I got the Air2S and I'll say it again. The Fly app is for toy drones. DJI promises updates but it seems the entire app needs to be rewritten. The Fly app is the deal breaker for me for the Mavic 3.

I put myself in this category as well.

I have spent A LOT of time reading posts and watching videos about this thing. I'm starting to think that the only people that give this thing glowing reviews are people that either don't want to jeopardize DJI sending them something to review in the future or people that feel as though they need to defend their purchase to save face.

I really didn't expect to be where I am today. I fully expected to pay much more for the Mavic 3, no problems. The "zoom" lens not great? Well I don't care much as it's effectively a bonus feature compared to the M2P anyway. Active tracking etc? Can take it or leave it really.

But here I am a week after launch still deciding not just when I will buy the Mavic 3, but even IF I will buy the aircraft at all, and I have had the money sitting in a separate bank account for nearly 2 years ready to pay the money. Take my money DJI! But no, that hasn't happened.

Just for some context as to what I do: I've owned 4 DJI drones. On the M2P I've shot for Warner Brothers, Universal Pictures and BBC. Shot films under Director Werner Herzog and DP Russell Boyd ACS, ASC. This year I was a finalist in the Boston Drone Film Festival, "Landscape" winner in AZDroneFest Arizona and have won 14 other international drone awards including 3 different festivals in New York City, blah, blah blah.....but just trying to point out I know my stuff a bit, and get paid to do it.

What is it with this "DJI Fly" thing? Really? I'd never heard of the app until yesterday and we are being forced to use this instead of DJI Go4? What? Why bring out a Pro drone and then go way backwards in app functionality, pretty much to beginner level? In all sorts of ways this drone is a beta version. Now that is fine, if DJI want to keep us updated on what they are doing and when, but are they really....and fully? Yes, we have all heard of this January 22 firmware update, but what about all the other features? Sami Sarkis from Hosiho(dot)net writes a great blog article on all this, translated from French to English in his site, it is easily understood. These are just some of his questions:

• The Dji Fly App is too simple for a professional pilot: why did you drop Dji GO 4? Are there any plans for a Dji Fly Pro?
  • Pros shoot manual! Why is it so hard to enter manual settings on DJI Fly? The Fly app may well be the dealbreaker for me.
  • Why is it impossible to install Dji Fly on your CrystalSky monitors?
  • We have listed the shortcomings of the version to be released in early November 2021: can you tell us what is likely to be added in terms of features, settings, etc.?

Other questions:

• We would like a real Tripod Mode with the possibility to adjust the Horizontal and Vertical speed as well: is this envisaged?
  • Rough and aggressive behaviour of the M3C in flight even in Cine mode: could we access and modify the parameters to adapt them to each pilot?
  • Should there be a stop when zooming with the 24mm from x0 to x4 in order to avoid going to x7 with a jump of images?
  • Zoom only at 30p: no 25p for Europe, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore?
  • Bring back a HQ/FOV mode like on the Mavic 2 pro please?
  • Iso at 400 or 800 in DLog Profile: why not from 100 to 1600 Iso like M2p?
  • Bring back the choice of file indexing mode, e.g. Continuous as on Dji GO 4?
  • ProRes recording on the 1Tb SSD: why not also record a H265/264 file on a microSD card like on the Inspire 2?
  • Will there be Waypoints?
  • Can you allow keyboard input of Distance or Altitude limits?
  • Allow the pilot to enter the battery warning thresholds like on Dji GO 4?
  • No HLG? Many Pros require an HDR format

Anyway my hope is that DJI will keep us "in the loop" and be honest and open about what they are doing as every day that goes by they risk Pros looking elsewhere
for other drones in this price and weight segment. Ok I've said my piece and now I'm going to clear my head in the "Outback":)

I ordered my FMC M3 on the day of launch, directly from dji.com. It arrived just a couple of days later. I prefer fresh like this, no used parts inside.
My first flight was in complete darkness with a sizzle of rain. Took it to 39 meters and flew around a bit before hand-landing it safely due to fog & rain.
It was love at first flight, and only love from then on.
It's not expensive, lets get that out of the way. It's just that the Air2s is super inexpensive.

I come from years of flying the M2P, and lesser drones.
The M3 is my dream drone. Love the bag, love the facemask, love the batteries. About the missing features: it is good that hyperlapse is currently missing, so I can fly it around a bit and explore the cameras and flight characteristics before getting back into that addiction:).
The hyperlapse feature of the M2P was just fantastic. Hopefully they are working on something similar or better for the M3. The Air2s HL is not of the same caliber even though it is 4K RAW.

This is not a review as I am completely in love with the thing.
Would like to complain about the small screen of the SC Pro, but I can live with it.

Reactions: iglou7
I put myself in this category as well.

I have spent A LOT of time reading posts and watching videos about this thing. I'm starting to think that the only people that give this thing glowing reviews are people that either don't want to jeopardize DJI sending them something to review in the future or people that feel as though they need to defend their purchase to save face.
When I turned off obstacle avoidance to land on my balcony. The Mavic 3 was acting a little strange as if obstacle avoidance was partially still on because it was effecting the forward movement of the Mavic 3. I will test fly it now and report back.

I said it when I got the Air2S and I'll say it again. The Fly app is for toy drones. DJI promises updates but it seems the entire app needs to be rewritten. The Fly app is the deal breaker for me for the Mavic 3.
The only real advantage of the Fly App is that you can change the white balance a little faster! LOL

@Crashdummytest
I really feel glad that you are fully satisfied with the M3 and even think, that leaving features, we had, aside, is good. Well honestly, you know, what they say: love is blind. 😋

Thinking of all the points that have been mentioned, I still have not seen that shot/video, that only the M3 is able to produce from DJI. Some low light comparison though promise to have that advantage for the main lens. Maybe that is to come with future updates, but who knows.

Reactions: Crashdummytest

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada