DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aside from no registration- why?

FlyBoyRez

Reactions
A deliberately contentious title so Let me preface this by saying the Mavic Mini looks like a cracking bit of kit and I’m sure will make a lot of folk happy. I’m even recommending it to UAS noobs.

However I’m also reading a lot of comments online suggesting that these folks believe that since it’s below 250g they can do whatever they want.

I’m pretty sure that the low weight just allows you to avoid the registration requirements but you are still required to adhere to all local laws and NFZ... does that sound right or have I got this wrong?

Reactions: Mavic 57 and Gindra
Yup it's correct. It's low weight gets you around registration but that is just one of the products selling points. It's sold as an entry into proper drones. Spending £350 is a lot easier as a noob compared to £1000. You might not like it. You might crash. You might just be not too sure about if it's right for you.

Reactions: Mavic 57 and scooot
Yup it's correct. It's low weight gets you around registration but that is just one of the products selling points. It's sold as an entry into proper drones. Spending £350 is a lot easier as a noob compared to £1000. You might not like it. You might crash. You might just be not too sure about if it's right for you.

And in the case of someone like me, all of those points are true, along with the mini being the only drone I'm aware of that is small/compact enough and light enough for me to actually take it with me when I'm adventuring outdoors.

It depends on country. In some there really is no limit for under 250gr (other than endangering people obviously, but nothing specific to a machine like it).

Years ago I had a FC40 and my box to carry the drone, 3 batts, longer legs and the remote was a two handed carry box that was probably too big for aircraft carry on. Now the whole package fits in my cars glove box

Here in Canada, the 249g weight bypasses the requirement to take the drone test, register the drone, the controlled airspace law, specific distance from people, height restriction, etc. The only laws that apply are privacy/trespassing laws, and one (ambiguous) rule that says not to do anything to endanger people or manned aircraft. So in Canada, this drone is very appealing.

I’m pretty sure that the low weight just allows you to avoid the registration requirements but you are still required to adhere to all local laws and NFZ... does that sound right or have I got this wrong?
Yes - we are seeing a lot of comments on Facebook that indicate people think that a sub-250g drone is classed as a toy and therefore is not covered by CAA ANO's (that's here in the UK anyway). However - the CAA Air Navigation Orders pertaining to the use of Small Unmanned Aircraft (SUA) apply to EVERY SUA up to a weight of 20Kg - so Mavic Mini drivers still have to obey the Dronecode regulations. Although the CAA applies the same weight range (250g to 20kg) to the need for a Flyer ID, registration for the Flyer ID is free - no doubt there is a way to get a Flyer ID through the CAA Reg' process without needing to get the OP ID as well ...?? New MM 'training-wheel' pilots can certainly school-up here:
The Drone and Model Aircraft Code | UK Civil Aviation Authority

Reactions: Mavic 57
You can get the flyer ID for free once you've done the 20 question test. I did mine the other day and didn't pay the £9 as it's the only drone I have.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
You can get the flyer ID for free once you've done the 20 question test. I did mine the other day and didn't pay the £9 as it's the only drone I have.
I thought you must be able to ... I did the test to get both ID's and couldn't remember where you choose the Flyer only option. Thanks for confirming as I'll pass that on.

one operator id no matter how many drones you have but if you plan to fly said drone or drones then you will also need the flyer id and so will anyone who you let fly your drone or drones

any drone being flown must have the operator id displayed on it

Reactions: Mavic 57
It's going to be popular with the "we don't need no stinking badges" crowd. till they get busted..smirk..;) But I am starting to get interested and we all really need another drone..right? Has anyone posted something that would give an indication of the noise compared to say..the Spark..My Air is completly outside the comfort level.

I thought you must be able to ... I did the test to get both ID's and couldn't remember where you choose the Flyer only option. Thanks for confirming as I'll pass that on.

It actually is very very clear when you do it but it does default to the "both" option and wants £9. You just select the other options and away you go. I think it took less than 5mins start to finish!

it seems to be quieter than most of the Mavic line up,the smaller props may have something to do with that when i get mine i will compare it to my MPP which is reasonably quiet as it is i dont believe its down to the actual DB reading more the actual frequency of the pitch

i dont really think many people will purchase a MM just to save £9 a year, they may not like the idea of registering their MM ,but if you think about it they are basically doing the same thing when they take the test and get their flyer id they are telling the CAA that they intend to fly a drone and they have to give contact info to the CAA in order for them to send them their id for them to print out , to give some bite to the scheme it should not be possible to purchase a drone without producing operator and flyer id at point of sale i expect that my comments will anger the anti big brother brigade but if it allows us to keep on flying our drones in the future then i am all for it

i dont really think many people will purchase a MM just to save £9 a year, they may not like the idea of registering their MM ,but if you think about it they are basically doing the same thing when they take the test and get their flyer id they are telling the CAA that they intend to fly a drone and they have to give contact info to the CAA in order for them to send them their id for them to print out , to give some bite to the scheme it should not be possible to purchase a drone without producing operator and flyer id at point of sale i expect that my comments will anger the anti big brother brigade but if it allows us to keep on flying our drones in the future then i am all for it
The 'problem' is that the Mav' Mini is sub-250g, and therefore you don't have to get the Flyer ID either! If that is used as a selling feature, then there will be a problem with people buying the MM and not bothering to school-up on the rules - as the implication will be that they don't have to ... I'm not 100% pro-registration, but I do find myself thinking that having to get a Flyer ID no matter what weight, might be a good idea!

Yup you simply don't have to do either with the MM but I felt I should get the basics.

I came from an FC40 when it was first released and I learnt a fair bit then. I had to get rid of it because it was too noisy for the young kids and the wife put pressure on me. I saw this recently and decided its cheap enough to be a "toy" and I have no idea how often I'll fly it in anger. I'd love a Mavic Pro or similar but I've really got zero need for the mini so that'd just be spending more money on a larger toy for me not to use.

Seeing how capable this drone is worries me somewhat. This is expensive toy money but the fact I can take it out almost 1km from my house and it'll climb to an absurd height this could be a real danger with idiots behind the sticks or just kids with no understanding of what'd happen if things went wrong.

Whilst in the big open field I let my 7yr take control of the drone. He took off, flew it around and landed it with ease. He flew out a good few hundred meters with my hands a few cms from his at all times but it goes to show how a young kid can pick up the remote, get it in the air and be flying around in no time. At all times I was able to take control within seconds and the only thing he'd have done is crash onto a fallow field.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu