DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Asking for a friend. Again.

PeteTheJack

Reactions
I have a pal who wants to invest in a Mavic, any variant, or Mavic Mini, but wants to fly FPV using all DJI kit.

With the exception of the Mavic Air 1, is there anything doing yet?

I have a pal who wants to invest in a Mavic, any variant, or Mavic Mini, but wants to fly FPV using all DJI kit.

With the exception of the Mavic Air 1, is there anything doing yet?
Not sure I am getting the question..FPV is currently on all DJI aircraft? And all DJI are all DJI "kit" as well. Care to expound?

Reactions: PeteTheJack
I have been researching racing drones with FPV. I think that is a great start and not so expensive. You will have to look outside DJI. Google it.
EMAX Tinyhawk II Indoor FPV Racing Drone

Friend owns one, its awesome and does work outdoors.

Sorry 'bout that. I should have been amore explicit. He want to use DJI FPV Goggles with a current DJI Mavic, Air 2, Mini ETC.

DJI makes 3 different goggles that I am aware of, DJI Goggles, DJI Goggles RE, and the DJI Digital FPV system. As I understand it you can control/access your DJI drone (Mavic, Mini, etc) with the Goggles and the Goggles RE and you will receive the drones video feed in the goggles. (This will be similar to the view that you would normally see on your phone, but in the goggles.) The "DJI Digital FPV system" is a different animal and has to be used with a separate camera/transmitter that is attached to the drone. The DJI Goggles will only work with DJI products and the DJI Goggles RE will work with DJI products AND analog FPV racing drones (however, their are many analog alternatives that offer better range than the Goggles RE). The DJI Digital FPV system is an extremely well rated FPV goggle, but it will not work with DJI drones without significant warranty voiding modifications.

What I am concerned with is your friend wants to fly "FPV" with a Mavic. I own a Mavic Pro and several "FPV" drones and they are COMPLETELY different in their approach and features. When you say "FPV flying" to me I think low latency visual stunt or racing flying with high speed flips, rolls, proximity flying and frequent crashes. (Search YouTube for "Rotor Riot", "LeDrib", "Mr. Steele", and you will see intense FPV flying.) To my knowledge DJI does not make an FPV racing drone, and their Mavic/Phantom series are NOT even close to to a racing/freestyle drone. My beloved Mavic Pro is an unbelievably solid and stable photography platform that is fantastic at what it does, but compared to my FPV drones it is impossible to roll or flip, it is slow even in Sport Mode, it has significant video lag, and, I go out of my way NOT to crash it. With my FPV drones I bounce them off the ground or obstacles at high speeds on AT LEAST 50% of my flights. Hitting a flagpole with you Mavic Pro 2 at full speed will make you VERY sad, hitting one with your FPV drone is just another day of flying.

If your friend just wants to see what the Mavic or other DJI drone sees in his goggles instead of on his phone/iPad, have him get the Goggles or the Goggles RE, but, it won't be what many consider "FPV" flying. (Folks really enjoy this, but if he wants to dive buildings and do "juicy flips" he will not be able to do that with a DJI drone.)

I would confirm what your friend means when he says he wants to "fly FPV with all DJI kit".

In addition, I must note that I don't own or use any DJI goggles, so before he makes a purchase I would have him talk to directly to DJI. (I use Fatshark HDO's with a RapidFire diversity receiver for FPV flying, and I have never flown my Mavic with any type of goggles.)

I hope that this hasn't confused you even more!

Peter T

I have been researching racing drones with FPV. I think that is a great start and not so expensive. You will have to look outside DJI. Google it.

I have to take exception with this as follows:

"not so expensive"
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha........
It doesn't seem that bad at first, but once you have worked your way up to $800 goggles, a $200 transmitter, a soldering station, numerous motors, props, frames, etc, and you have totaled your fourth GoPro literally hitting a brick wall at 60+ mph you (and your very understanding wife) start to feel like the cost is beginning to add up. It is however cheaper than a boat, or polo ponies, or golf at an exclusive club, and I have shared all of that with my very understanding wife...... (I think of this while I shoot a $750 pellet gun in my basement at age 60. Remember, you are never to old to have a happy childhood!)

"You will have to look outside DJI."
You will for your drone, but, the DJI FPV goggle system is VERY well received in the FPV community. I don't have one because I saved for over a year to buy my comparably priced FatShark system 30 days before DJI announced their FPV system.

Now that I am done picking on you, I can without hesitation say IT'S A BLAST! Stop researching, buy the FPV drone (and be ready to replace it after you total it) and GO WILD. It is an entirely different experience and it is WAY FUN and ADDICTING. My FPV drone is currently on injured reserved due to another fried motor and I am going through withdrawal until I get the chance to rebuild it again.

Peter T

Thanks for your suggestion and I'll go a similar route if I want an FPV Goggle experience. I have a couple of Flame Wheels, quad and hex, and I'll add fpv kit to one or both of those.

My pal has seen and flown my Air 2 and wants the latests tech with the immersive FPV experience. He is in the fortunate position where cost is of secondary importance.

Reactions: pftarch
DJI makes 3 different goggles that I am aware of, DJI Goggles, DJI Goggles RE, and the DJI Digital FPV system. As I understand it you can control/access your DJI drone (Mavic, Mini, etc) with the Goggles and the Goggles RE and you will receive the drones video feed in the goggles. (This will be similar to the view that you would normally see on your phone, but in the goggles.) The "DJI Digital FPV system" is a different animal and has to be used with a separate camera/transmitter that is attached to the drone. The DJI Goggles will only work with DJI products and the DJI Goggles RE will work with DJI products AND analog FPV racing drones (however, their are many analog alternatives that offer better range than the Goggles RE). The DJI Digital FPV system is an extremely well rated FPV goggle, but it will not work with DJI drones without significant warranty voiding modifications.

What I am concerned with is your friend wants to fly "FPV" with a Mavic. I own a Mavic Pro and several "FPV" drones and they are COMPLETELY different in their approach and features. When you say "FPV flying" to me I think low latency visual stunt or racing flying with high speed flips, rolls, proximity flying and frequent crashes. (Search YouTube for "Rotor Riot", "LeDrib", "Mr. Steele", and you will see intense FPV flying.) To my knowledge DJI does not make an FPV racing drone, and their Mavic/Phantom series are NOT even close to to a racing/freestyle drone. My beloved Mavic Pro is an unbelievably solid and stable photography platform that is fantastic at what it does, but compared to my FPV drones it is impossible to roll or flip, it is slow even in Sport Mode, it has significant video lag, and, I go out of my way NOT to crash it. With my FPV drones I bounce them off the ground or obstacles at high speeds on AT LEAST 50% of my flights. Hitting a flagpole with you Mavic Pro 2 at full speed will make you VERY sad, hitting one with your FPV drone is just another day of flying.

If your friend just wants to see what the Mavic or other DJI drone sees in his goggles instead of on his phone/iPad, have him get the Goggles or the Goggles RE, but, it won't be what many consider "FPV" flying. (Folks really enjoy this, but if he wants to dive buildings and do "juicy flips" he will not be able to do that with a DJI drone.)

I would confirm what your friend means when he says he wants to "fly FPV with all DJI kit".

In addition, I must note that I don't own or use any DJI goggles, so before he makes a purchase I would have him talk to directly to DJI. (I use Fatshark HDO's with a RapidFire diversity receiver for FPV flying, and I have never flown my Mavic with any type of goggles.)

I hope that this hasn't confused you even more!

Peter T
Very comprehensive answer, but as I've said above, it's what he wants to do. Slow and stable with all the current tech. He asked me about the DJI Digital system but as you say at the moment it's not compatible.

I have to take exception with this as follows:

"not so expensive"
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha........
It doesn't seem that bad at first, but once you have worked your way up to $800 goggles, a $200 transmitter, a soldering station, numerous motors, props, frames, etc, and you have totaled your fourth GoPro literally hitting a brick wall at 60+ mph you (and your very understanding wife) start to feel like the cost is beginning to add up. It is however cheaper than a boat, or polo ponies, or golf at an exclusive club, and I have shared all of that with my very understanding wife...... (I think of this while I shoot a $750 pellet gun in my basement at age 60. Remember, you are never to old to have a happy childhood!)

"You will have to look outside DJI."
You will for your drone, but, the DJI FPV goggle system is VERY well received in the FPV community. I don't have one because I saved for over a year to buy my comparably priced FatShark system 30 days before DJI announced their FPV system.

Now that I am done picking on you, I can without hesitation say IT'S A BLAST! Stop researching, buy the FPV drone (and be ready to replace it after you total it) and GO WILD. It is an entirely different experience and it is WAY FUN and ADDICTING. My FPV drone is currently on injured reserved due to another fried motor and I am going through withdrawal until I get the chance to rebuild it again.

Peter T

As I've said I'm making an inquiry on behalf of a pal. I'll have to tell him that it's no go Peter (that's his name also), Peter.

I'm with you. I might buy some decent FPV kit and stick it on one of my Flame Wheels, before moving on to a racing drone. He can try that out and as we used to say when I drove racing saloons/sedans "if you bend it, you mend it".

I use an air rifle in my back garden. Great way of dispatching lipo cells which show signs of becoming unstable. DO NOT DO THIS IN A BASEMENT ?

Peter M

I use an air rifle in my back garden. Great way of dispatching lipo cells which show signs of becoming unstable. DO NOT DO THIS IN A BASEMENT ?

Peter M

I never even thought of that, but it sounds AWESOME. My 12 year old son is going to love this. (And I will do it outside in a safe spot.)

Thanks again!

Peter T

As I've said I'm making an inquiry on behalf of a pal. I'll have to tell him that it's no go Peter (that's his name also), Peter.

Just to be clear in my own mind:

Peter M is asking a question on behalf of his friend Peter and I, Peter T responded with an answer.

In the late 1980's I, Peter T, lived in an apartment in a high rise on the 15th floor. There was a restaurant developer named Peter T (same last initial, different last name) who moved in to 16th floor (above me) so he could be close to new restaurant he was building on the 17th floor. That restaurant was being built by a contractor named Peter T (same last initial, and another different last name). Our mail was quite screwed up for a couple of years.

Happy flying Peter!

Just to be clear in my own mind:

Peter M is asking a question on behalf of his friend Peter and I, Peter T responded with an answer.

In the late 1980's I, Peter T, lived in an apartment in a high rise on the 15th floor. There was a restaurant developer named Peter T (same last initial, different last name) who moved in to 16th floor (above me) so he could be close to new restaurant he was building on the 17th floor. That restaurant was being built by a contractor named Peter T (same last initial, and another different last name). Our mail was quite screwed up for a couple of years.

Happy flying Peter!
? BTW, my pal is also a Peter M all be it with a different surname.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore