DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Astonishing and scary data collection by DJI

talm0

Reactions
I feel this topic deserves its own thread so it doesn't get lost in a nearly 90-page main thread.

According to well-placed sources we are learning that DJI is potentially performing very troubling data collection via its DJI Assistant2 app and possibly by other means. While complete details are not yet available, what we know at this time is that DJI's software apparently can be used to modify your drone in potentially irreversible ways, with no warnings. Just as worrisome is the sheer scope of data collected by the software and how much of this data is phoned home to the DJI mothership without any visibility to the user. Privacy implications are potentially huge, as well as possible legal implications. If confirmed, serious questions should be asked by the members of this community and the media about the data collection activities and the legal ramifications of such data collection. DJI may need to answer what this data is being used for and who it's being shared with.

Even if the data collection is not nefarious everyone should be very concerned with privacy implications of such data collection. Without the ability to opt out, without the ability to decline updates that may contain more unknown and worrisome functionality, we too may find it mandatory for our logs to be sent to DJI/some other party every 2 days or risk deactivation. Or worse.

This is a huge slippery slope and if DJI is doing this, they need to be held accountable.

Last edited:
Are you ABSOLUTELY and POSITIVELY sure you read all the Terms and Conditions you agreed to when using any and all DJI products and your operating system?

Reactions: jkantiques
Are you ABSOLUTELY and POSITIVELY sure you read all the Terms and Conditions you agreed to when using any and all DJI products and your operating system?
Honest answer is that I skimmed through them, but I didn't blindly agree. Am I a lawyer that would understand all of what's written? Nope. Do I understand that some of what's written is not enforceable or may be outright illegal? Yes. Anything can be written into the EULA/TOS. Certainly this isn't a new arena when it comes to litigation and we have many years of precedent and cases. It will come down to accountability by the press. If it's egregious enough there may actually be some articles written with insight into the possible privacy issues.

Do you have any actual facts or data or are you stirring up **** with allegations without any substance?

Reactions: miemo
Do you have any actual facts or data or are you stirring up **** with allegations without any substance?

It really would not matter. The Mavic is sold all over the world and many countries, especially in the EU, that kind of activity is prohibited. Even in the USA it is on a state by state basis that data gathering is legal under a EULA.

Also what is being collected by DJI seems to go way beyond anything that they might have stated in their EULA.

They have also been caught on other legal fronts and have been confronted by individuals in the software community. DJI has replied asking for more time to work with their engineering dept to figure out what to do. An announcement was supposed to happen on Monday but I guess the people involved are giving DJI more time.

Rob

Reactions: Qaazar and v8juice
Again, what are the facts?

Sorry, but if you got an invite to the right location you would have seen the facts. Since you have to ask the question I assume you have not. I apologize but I am not at liberty to discus them in detail or show proof, since that would probably get me booted.

Rob

I have concerns about uploading my flight data to the DJI cloud and did not do it so far. Does anyone fell the same or is it just me?

So I am supposed to get outraged over something I am not allowed to know because I'm not in the right secret club. You guys may be fighting a good fight but your marketing sucks ***.

Yeah sorry about that but understand I am not an active contributor.
I am just a guest over there who is trying to keep this forums interested membership in the loop. I have no standing to decide if detailed confidential info can be shared.

Rob

Is it any worse than Facebook etc?

Well yes since China is gathering the info and they are a semi hostile country towards the USA. With ambitions of replacing the USA as the global leader.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: Qaazar
I have concerns about uploading my flight data to the DJI cloud and did not do it so far. Does anyone fell the same or is it just me?

Never use it. I am constantly in airplane mode.

Rob

Reactions: Qaazar and v8juice
Some don't , lot's do. I always keep mine updated and alway's will .

you guys are going off the deep end........................DID EVERYONE GO AND SEE THE MOVIE ""SNOWDEN OVER THE WEEKEND!!!

Enjoy Life, if your lucky, you'll live to be 100 years old, if your that concerned about this subject , go buy a big rock and hide under it, i work for the state, and they have bigger concerns than whos spying on us, this is been going on for years.......get over it.....

sorry my 2 cents
all i say is fly safety and use common sense, and you will all be fine....

and then you will be dead, in a pine box, and have more things to worry about.......

I feel this topic deserves its own thread so it doesn't get lost in a nearly 90-page main thread.

According to well-placed sources we are learning that DJI is potentially performing very troubling data collection via its DJI Assistant2 app and possibly by other means. While complete details are not yet available, what we know at this time is that DJI's software apparently can be used to modify your drone in potentially irreversible ways, with no warnings. Just as worrisome is the sheer scope of data collected by the software and how much of this data is phoned home to the DJI mothership without any visibility to the user. Privacy implications are potentially huge, as well as possible legal implications. If confirmed, serious questions should be asked by the members of this community and the media about the data collection activities and the legal ramifications of such data collection. DJI may need to answer what this data is being used for and who it's being shared with.

Even if the data collection is not nefarious everyone should be very concerned with privacy implications of such data collection. Without the ability to opt out, without the ability to decline updates that may contain more unknown and worrisome functionality, we too may find it mandatory for our logs to be sent to DJI/some other party every 2 days or risk deactivation. Or worse.

This is a huge slippery slope and if DJI is doing this, they need to be held accountable.

Even if you do not upload your logs it has been shown that if you have an active internet connection while flying all your flight data was sent live to numerous servers.

Reactions: Qaazar
Regardless of what is in the EULA/TOS the term "unconscionable contract" may still apply, and if it did would void said agreement.

I've seen lots of ridiculous posts here but this one is right up near the top.

The sky is falling but I can't tell you why, how, or any pertinent facts. But please believe me.

Whats so ridicoulus about us not being able to prove it to you?
Several people in this thread have seen the code, have seen the output from data sniffers and are telling you the same thing.
You know that if we show you the code we will certainly see this thread disappear and face the possibility of getting booted from the group that's doing the work.

You yourself know that guys are working with the code and have released many results that people are using today. So why is it so hard to believe that along the way they have uncovered tons of stuff including what we have told you?

If you don't care about it and it's not a problem for you then that's one thing, but flat out denial it exists because you have not been privy to the details just seems extreme.

Rob

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore