DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ATC Authorization and status selection- When to use which classification?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I just received my temporary Part 107 certificate, and so I have a question regarding requesting LAANC authorization...
In Airmap (or Kittyhawk?), when requesting airspace authorization one of the first questions asked is (is the mission): FAA Part 107 Certified, or FAA Recreational Flyers- 44809? Acknowledging that one with a Part 107 certification can fly for both recreational purposes or commercial purposes, obviously for commericial you would choose the Part 107 option. But what if you were flying solely recreationally? And then the curve ball... What if you were flying recreationally yet near a tall structure which might take you above 400' AGL?

Let me ask it a different way. If flying that missions solely for personal use (recreational) but have Part 107 cert status, would you just click the Part 107 button in the ATC authorization application? Or does it matter and would select "recreational" when for non-commercial flights?

I want to throw in one more question that we've danced around a bit on another thread. Does one preemptively apply for night status waiver so I can fly at night as needed without having to get authorization each time (presuming Class G airspace)? Or does one have to apply for night waiver each and every time? [And yes... I already have anti-collision strobes.]

Acknowledging that one with a Part 107 certification can fly for both recreational purposes or commercial purposes, obviously for commericial you would choose the Part 107 option. But what if you were flying solely recreationally?
I really don't think it matters much (if at all) to the FAA since both recreational and Part 107 pilots can apply for LAANC. Therefore just answer honestly depending on the intent of the flight.

And then the curve ball... What if you were flying recreationally yet near a tall structure which might take you above 400' AGL?
No curveball there at all. Under recreational rules you are limited to 4oo feet AGL absolute. Only Part 107 pilots and flights can use the rule to fly above a structure. It is moot in any case for a LAANC authorization because your LAANC authorized altitude is ABSOLUTE. If you are in a 400 foot facilities grid and receive authorization for 400 feet, then you can NEVER exceed 400 feet. That applies even if it is a Part 107 flight and even if there is a structure taller than 400 feet in that area.

Let me ask it a different way. If flying that missions solely for personal use (recreational) but have Part 107 cert status, would you just click the Part 107 button in the ATC authorization application? Or does it matter and would select "recreational" when for non-commercial flights?
Answered above and I would apply for whatever the intent of my flight is.

Does one preemptively apply for night status waiver so I can fly at night as needed without having to get authorization each time (presuming Class G airspace)? Or does one have to apply for night waiver each and every time? [And yes... I already have anti-collision strobes.]
A daylight waiver is NOT a simple application. You don't just fill out a few pieces of information and expect instant authorization. There are criteria that must be met and it takes some work to get that waiver; much more than just having strobes.

Note that you only need that waiver for Part 107 operations. If you are flying under recreational rules, then you can fly at night without a waiver.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu