DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Attacked by a bird?

bronze661

Reactions
I've been using Litchi all year. Today a 4 mile mission at 396 feet, 45 degrees, 6 mph winds. I have never seen turbulence like this. Could it be a bird attack? The drone was even pulled in another direction for a few seconds.
Your thoughts? This is just a portion of the whole mission with no sound to show you pilots so you can hear yourself think.

• Wow
Reactions: Prismatic
6mph winds at ground level? Things can be, and often are, a lot different at 400ft.

It’s unlikely your drone was persistently molested by a bird. More likely the attitude to follow the prescribed flight path while fighting wind took the gimbal to its mechanical limits.

I would upload the log to airdata and have a look at the wind map and any correlation with commanded yaw, wind speed and event timing. It isn’t hard to force a scenario where the gimbal exceeds its limits trying to keep a poi in frame.

6mph winds at ground level? Things can be, and often are, a lot different at 400ft.

It’s unlikely your drone was persistently molested by a bird. More likely the attitude to follow the prescribed flight path while fighting wind took the gimbal to its mechanical limits.

I would upload the log to airdata and have a look at the wind map and any correlation with commanded yaw, wind speed and event timing. It isn’t hard to force a scenario where the gimbal exceeds its limits trying to keep a poi in frame.
Agree... the logs may have an answer.

Interesting. Will be watching to see the answers on this.
I‘m not leaning towards a bird at all, and I haven’t seen wind get those types of reactions.

Reactions: bronze661
I've been using Litchi all year. Today a 4 mile mission at 396 feet, 45 degrees, 6 mph winds. I have never seen turbulence like this. Could it be a bird attack? The drone was even pulled in another direction for a few seconds.
Your thoughts? This is just a portion of the whole mission with no sound to show you pilots so you can hear yourself think.
That's some very peculiar behavior! Flight data might show something, but may be inconclusive, too.

I'm going with the "space aliens" explanation until I hear something better! ?

wi-fi was off and airplane mode. so no upload to Airdata.

Another clue. It was a long mission on the hub. So I shortened it and set the speed to 23 mph to make it in 15 minutes instead of 20. But, I noticed on my device that it never got over 17 mph. After it left I knew if wasn't enough battery it would return to home. And it did, just short of the mission anyway. 9 % battery when it got back. The whole finished video with music is ready to upload to YouTube.

No way it was just wind.
Not just wind.

Mission planning +/- wind finding the limits of the gimbal system. Both autopilot and litchi allowed me to create missions that had similar issues in the video.

You need only run the mission again to confirm.

Reactions: Prismatic
Another clue. It was a long mission on the hub. So I shortened it and set the speed to 23 mph to make it in 15 minutes instead of 20. But, I noticed on my device that it never got over 17 mph. After it left I knew if wasn't enough battery it would return to home. And it did, just short of the mission anyway. 9 % battery when it got back. The whole finished video with music is ready to upload to YouTube.
All the movement is crazy. Maybe next time a quick “look around” may reveal the culprit. But, the footage is great. It’s very clear and the color really “pops”. Do you use Any filters? And, what app do you use for post flight editing and adding music?

Strange flight! - I noticed that the first 'glitch' happened directly above transmission lines [??] - but that didn't seem to be the case with others, except for the very last. The wind isn't even showing in the trees on the ground, so flying over flat land at that altitude, I'd not expect to see a huge difference in wind-speed at 400 ft. Same thing with wind gusts - I'd expect to see the effect of gusts in the trees if you were getting severe wind gusts at altitude. If it was wind, it would have to be gusting to give sudden changes like that ...

wi-fi was off and airplane mode. so no upload to Airdata.

The flight was still logged by Litchi on your mobile device as a csv file, in the Litchi/flightlogs directory. If you want to know what actually happened then simply retrieve the log and post it here.

Litchigiest
Edit; (sorry got nothing)
I'm with reply #15 thinking here that the overhead wires are very prominent
Do as the previous post

I have had this to happen a couple of times using the Litchi app with my Inspire 2. It was not the wind or a bird attack. It wasa bug in the mission upload that made the gimbal go crazy. I landed the aircraft, restarted the I2 and remote. Uploaded the mission to the aircraft again and it worked fine. I can't explain it in more detail. Guess it was just a fluke in the first upload.

All the movement is crazy. Maybe next time a quick “look around” may reveal the culprit. But, the footage is great. It’s very clear and the color really “pops”. Do you use Any filters? And, what app do you use for post flight editing and adding music?
No filters, all auto, I use Filmora.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+