DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ATTI mode, dead sticks, recovered. Still curious why.

geigy

Reactions
Just thought I'd post my experience from a couple of weeks ago, which was probably due to a Loc8tor transponder button stick too close to the GPS antenna, causing intermittent loss of signal, combined with a Mavic/transmitter firmware version mismatch. My Mavic has been flying great since. This is still an unsolved flight stability issue that still concerns me, and I would still be interested in input from others.

Regarding firmware. I am guessing my Mavic came with the 0400 or 0500 FW. Out of the box I tried to upgrade to 0550. There was a glitch in the upgrade process, and the Mavic got updated but not the controller, so I was running with mixed versions.

I was hovering at 90 feet, and GPS signal dropped from 5 to 1 bar, and the readout of the Mavic's logged GPS position changed to a point about 50 feet northwest of where I intended it to continue hovering. Watching the log on Android, the Mavic moves in a smooth, slow curve to its new location, which is how the Mavic actually moved. On my iPad, the Mavic appears to jump from the correct position instantly to the new position.

The drone physically moved downwind to the NW corner of the log map area, taking about 10 seconds to do so, and held there (more or less) in ATTI mode, ignoring my attempts to control it. The log shows that the Mavic did not respond to the sticks for a good 5 or 10 seconds. Finally, GPS came back, the sticks started responding and I brought it back to near the original location and landed it.

I send logged a ticket with DJI and they offered to have me ship my Mavic to them. I was reluctant to do this without more explanation from them as to the problem. Instead I moved the Loc8tor button from its location near the GPS antenna to a different location on the Mavic. Several days after this, and after quite a few flights, I sorted out the firmware issue using DJI Assistant, and got both the Mavic and controller onto 0600. No further incidents since then.

Log file included.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-03-26_[14-34-45].txt
    589 KB · Views: 4
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929