DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ATTI mode mid flight - causing the Mavic to almost crash

mattmjm

Reactions
I had my first scare, my first near crash, and my first learning lesson tonight.

Setup: I set everything up as per normal routine. However, after the craft and RC were powered and ready to go, I did not get a Compass Error - which I usually do. So, I did not calibrate the compass on this flight. I thought the compass calibration was similar to the RC calibration and the IMU calibrations - if the app doesn't say to do it, then it's best not to do it.

Flight: I got the Ready to Go and lifted off. I hovered a few feet off the ground. After moving approximately 30 feet away and ascending 20 feet or so, the drone started to slowly rotate left on it's own (as if I was using the left stick to turn it to the left). It was gradual at first, but when I tried to input a slight correction, it got worse and faster. At this very point is when I realized something was wrong.

When I tried a larger correction, the drone began to bob and sway around randomly as if hanging by a bungee cord. There was little to no control. Not good. At this point, the app announced an audible "ATTI mode". Aw crap. My senses kicked in. I quickly looked down and saw the "No Positioning" message across the top in yellow.

I thought back to an earlier post from today or yesterday about using the Pause button. Pressed it. Nothing. Pressed it again. Nothing. Pressed and held, nothing. What is this thing supposed to do? All while I'm trying to maintain control as it's bobbing, weaving and rotating on axis randomly.

At this point, the craft has rotated a few times and is pointed in a different random direction that I was not in tune with. I realized my inputs are reversed and its facing me. I have experience controlling crafts with reversed inputs, but those first few seconds are critical to diagnose and correct with the reversed sticks. I had a difficult time controlling it and it flew around wildly. Luckily, it did not crash into anything or anyone.

A moment later (which felt like an eternity), I was able to regain control when the GPS positioning lock came back on. I landed haphazardly immediately after (and likely largely while the GPS was still "locking on").

Result: She's safe and sound, but not without giving me a scare.

Learning lesson: Now, I am realizing I should have done the compass calibration and should probably continue to calibrate the compass before every single flight from now on.

TLDR;
Didn't calibrate compass, took off, aircraft went into ATTI mode, went wild, barely managed to land safely and in one piece. Calibrate the compass before every single flight.

What else can I learn from this experience? Lay it on me.

Last edited:
I am realizing I should have done the compass calibration and should probably continue to calibrate the compass before every single flight from now on.
That's not a good idea. Perhaps that's what got you into this mess in the first place. It would be best to follow these guidelines instead.

Reactions: kmaluo and McMavic
I'm confused now.

1.) 9 out of 10 times, I get a compass error and I am forced to calibrate it before flight.

2.) The guidelines sort of go back and forth on whether you need to calibrate it and how often:
When Should I Calibrate?

You do not need to calibrate before every flight and in some cases you definitely should not calibrate. That doesn't mean you shouldn't ever bother doing it. It only takes one time for it to go very wrong. The most important aspect of compass calibration is making sure the magnetic "neighborhood" around your Mavic is consistent between calibration and during flight.

3.) In the guidelines, the first paragraph reads: "Inclination and deviation that isn't corrected through compass calibration will cause inconsistencies between GPS and compass that can result in "toilet bowl effect", a swirling motion that can cause the Mavic to fly out of control." - I believe this is sort of what I was experiencing.

4.) What else could cause the automatic turning of the AC and the ATTI mode?

What is the exact error message you see in DJI GO?
Red background, scrolling across the top: "Compass error, move the aircraft and calibrate the compass". Tapping on that takes you to the Aircraft Status screen where the "Calibrate" button for the Compass will have a yellow exclamation point alert next to it.

Poor or no GPS connection
Had 15 or so satellites connected during take off. Could all 15 disconnect 30 feet away and so quickly?

Did you see this compass error the first time you flew your Mavic? Have you ever crashed your Mavic?

Had 15 or so satellites connected during take off. Could all 15 disconnect 30 feet away and so quickly?
Your Mavic is connecting to satellites in the sky. 15 satellites is plenty, so the ATTI switch is most likely being caused by your compass issue.

Yes. The first time I powered it up was indoors and it gave the error message immediately.
Did you still see the message when you moved outdoors?

Did you still see the message when you moved outdoors?
Depends. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. I haven't figured out a pattern yet. All the while, I sometimes have to wait extended periods for IMU calibration {proper term?} to complete.

When you're outdoors, what type of surface is your Mavic sitting on when you normally see this compass error? Are there any magnetic metal objects in the area?

When you're outdoors, what type of surface is your Mavic sitting on when you normally see this compass error?
Concrete typically. But other times, just a gravel driveway or road.

Are there any magnetic metal objects in the area?
Yes, and I typically have to move far away from them for compass calibration to complete successfully. I've noticed even a small drain pipe cover in the ground can affect the results of the calibration. I also make sure to remove my phone and keys from my pockets.

Concrete typically.
Most concrete is chock-full of metal. That definitely could cause compass errors to display in DJI GO. Try starting your Mavic up in a grassy area.

Reactions: MavicProMX
Most concrete is chock-full of metal. That definitely could cause compass errors to display in DJI GO. Try starting your Mavic up in a grassy area.
I'll have to give that a try and report back.

Will calibrating the compass over a grassy surface lock in the calibration for good or will I need to calibrate it again often (even if an error doesn't exist - which it didn't before tonight's flight).

What about taking off from concrete?

Will calibrating the compass over a grassy surface
I'm suggesting you power on your Mavic from a grassy area to rule out any possible interference from magnetic metal objects.

This is not a good idea. The compass should not be near any type of magnetic metal objects when flying your Mavic.

I'm suggesting you power on your Mavic from a grassy area to rule out any possible interference from magnetic metal objects.
Got it. Good plan. I will do this tomorrow and report back.

This is not a good idea. The compass should not be near any type of magnetic metal objects when flying your Mavic.
So, no concrete take offs? Ever?

Now you know for next time ;)

The pavement most likely has no metal in it.

Reactions: MavicProMX
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser