DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Atti mode mystery

Mazdaman323lx

Reactions

Any idea why this happened to my Mavic air 2 ? Didn't collide with anything . There was no water present . I did have a new light I was testing suspended underneath the drone weighing about 300g . There was nothing coming down from the roof like a root or ivy. Exact same thing happen to my Air 2 s week before , which I put down to water getting on the drone , even though it wasn't excessively wet . In both cases there was a new firmware message before each flight , and in both cases the crash from about 5 feet altitude resulted in the same ESC error , with motors on the left non functional on restart - ESC error 30085. I was of the opinion the MA-2 could lift up to 700g , so i was well within that limit. Is there an issue when flying in ATTI mode and carrying a payload that I am unaware of. All previous flights in atti mode with no payload were uneventful. Can post logs if needed.

I was of the opinion the MA-2 could lift up to 700g , so i was well within that limit.
Would be interested to know where you got this number from? I would be concerned any time you are lifting more than the AC weight (<600g for MA2). Even lifting half the AC weight (as in this case) can cause unexpected stress on the motors...especially with less than perfect environmental conditions (high humidity/heat/etc.).

Reactions: Prismatic
From here actually
I didn't have any payload detected message and seemed to have power to spare.
It was warm last night , 23 C , so extra load and warm air burned out the esc board?

I kind of hinted at your last ESC error not being water related, and this kind of confirms that for me. What I am thinking is that the original ESC error was coming from a previous flight from before you first ESC error.

Is that possible , maybe another flight where the Drone got submerged , or banged up. ?
As far as the weight goes : Your specs are off , even 10 ounces is a lot for that drone , let alone 24 ounces , i dont think that is right.

One thing you can do is to over expose the video to see the terrain better , or if something snagged the drone, just to clarify that possibility. It almost looks like you snagged on the wall.

Was this your setup ?

screenshot_04.png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the water.

Last edited:
I was of the opinion the MA-2 could lift up to 700g
The entire aircraft weighs 570g, it'll never lift 1.2 times its weight in addition to that. 700gr total weight including the payload and aircraft seems reasonable but definitely not 700gr for just the payload, you must have misunderstood whatever source you got that from...
Wouldn't add more than 150gr or so to it.

Post your logs for further insights.

I kind of hinted at your last ESC error not being water related, and this kind of confirms that for me. What I am thinking is that the original ESC error was coming from a previous flight from before you first ESC error.

Is that possible , maybe another flight where the Drone got submerged , or banged up. ?
As far as the weight goes : Your specs are off , even 10 ounces is a lot for that drone , let alone 24 ounces , i dont think that is right.

One thing you can do is to over expose the video to see the terrain better , or if something snagged the drone, just to clarify that possibility. It almost looks like you snagged on the wall.

Was this your setup ?

View attachment 131970

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the water.
Yes thats the set up , but it happened to both drones

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
After the drone has had time to cool down do you still get the ESC error?
I have a P3 that clipped a hedge and came down and although I CSC'd the motors as soon as it hit the floor I got a ESC error message after picking it up and trying to re launch.

A few minutes later it was fine, I probably switched it of during the intervening time but I can't remember for certain.

then this article is totally off the mark ?

There is a huge difference between lifting on a hover for a few seconds and flying the drone. That kind of weight will cause ESC motor errors very easily.

That was not a very good test to relate to anything other than the Olympics of a one time lift test . :oops:
Even 12 ounces is just to much flight weight.

Phatnomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: AZDave
After the drone has had time to cool down do you still get the ESC error?
I have a P3 that clipped a hedge and came down and although I CSC'd the motors as soon as it hit the floor I got a ESC error message after picking it up and trying to re launch.

A few minutes later it was fine, I probably switched it of during the intervening time but I can't remember for certain.
No joy . Error still present following day and firmware refresh didn't clear it either. Looks like board damage as only two of the four props twitch on start up

adding any sort of payload to any drone ,is going to have an adverse effect,not just to the airframe and flight envelope, but the electronics that keep it airborne ,DJI spent a lot of time perfecting the flight envelope for optimum flight time and durability ,therefore adding anything to the drone is asking for trouble
if you want to tow a 30ft caravan you buy a range rover, not a Ferrari ,although they are both capable of doing the job, the extra stress it would place on the Ferrari would be detrimental to it over time

adding any sort of payload to any drone ,is going to have an adverse effect,not just to the airframe and flight envelope, but the electronics that keep it airborne ,DJI spent a lot of time perfecting the flight envelope for optimum flight time and durability ,therefore adding anything to the drone is asking for trouble
if you want to tow a 30ft caravan you buy a range rover, not a Ferrari ,although they are both capable of doing the job, the extra stress it would place on the Ferrari would be detrimental to it over time
I get your point but if you look at the professional enterprise mavic they have all sorts of attachments such as search lights , speakers etc. I'll post a log shortly

Reactions: old man mavic
Was thus additional weight “suspended” (swinging) or attached (fixed)? A swinging load accelerating and decelerating can alter the center of gravity of the aircraft and make it suddenly uncontrollable. Suspended usuallyhave a “pickle” switch to drop the load if oscillation leads to instability. If suspended, the length of the harness adds a moment arm to the lifted weight which compounds the CG challenges.
Just a thought. Attached vs suspended can make a difference.

standard temp at sea level is 15c so no matter what altitude you lifted off from it was far above standard atmosphere.
Possibly a bat?? I would guess there could be a few hanging around.

Any idea why this happened to my Mavic air 2 ? Didn't collide with anything . There was no water present . I did have a new light I was testing suspended underneath the drone weighing about 300g . There was nothing coming down from the roof like a root or ivy. Exact same thing happen to my Air 2 s week before , which I put down to water getting on the drone , even though it wasn't excessively wet . In both cases there was a new firmware message before each flight , and in both cases the crash from about 5 feet altitude resulted in the same ESC error , with motors on the left non functional on restart - ESC error 30085. I was of the opinion the MA-2 could lift up to 700g , so i was well within that limit. Is there an issue when flying in ATTI mode and carrying a payload that I am unaware of. All previous flights in atti mode with no payload were uneventful. Can post logs if needed.

I am no expert but my guess is --- the drone could not get any satelites - so it turned into ATTI mode.
But then the optical flow sensors could not see a thing (nor could my eyes) and then lost control.

Was thus additional weight “suspended” (swinging) or attached (fixed)? A swinging load accelerating and decelerating can alter the center of gravity of the aircraft and make it suddenly uncontrollable. Suspended usuallyhave a “pickle” switch to drop the load if oscillation leads to instability. If suspended, the length of the harness adds a moment arm to the lifted weight which compounds the CG challenges.
Just a thought. Attached vs suspended can make a difference.
Secured with a rigid clamp around the drone , mounted underneath as close to centre of gravity as possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esccueje