DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Atti mode w Mavic Vs Phantom?

DroneJI

Reactions
I just tryed flying a P3P in Atti mode To see what it’s like? Since the Mavic doesn’t have a native way of forcing atti mode! (Some put foil on the mavic to block the GPS) for those that own both birds and flown their mavic in atti mode do they both handle about the same in atti mode? I managed to flip the P3P while trying to land it no damage done it was just inches off the ground I must have nudge it to hard? (I don’t think it hit anything? ) I would rather practice atti mode on a used P3P than a new MPP! So anyone flown both birds in atti mode do they behave similar enough that practice on the P3P will prepare me for it on a MPP? I want to fly my MPP in a abandoned Railroad tunnel and know GPS is impossible in there! Thanks

Reactions: HaWu
I just tryed flying a P3P in Atti mode To see what it’s like? Since the Mavic doesn’t have a native way of forcing atti mode! (Some put foil on the mavic to block the GPS) for those that own both birds and flown their mavic in atti mode do they both handle about the same in atti mode? I managed to flip the P3P while trying to land it no damage done it was just inches off the ground I must have nudge it to hard? (I don’t think it hit anything? ) I would rather practice atti mode on a used P3P than a new MPP! So anyone flown both birds in atti mode do they behave similar enough that practice on the P3P will prepare me for it on a MPP? I want to fly my MPP in a abandoned Railroad tunnel and know GPS is impossible in there! Thanks
use
because of its vision system it will hover perfectly inside without gps signal. Just like the p3p the Mavic Air has a normal vision system. You won’t notice any changes

use

because of its vision system it will hover perfectly inside without gps signal. Just like the p3p the Mavic Air has a normal vision system. You won’t notice any changes

It was drifting al over in atti mode (I would not think of flying it inside like this) I can shoot a video of it in different modes to show how it s behaving, maybe something else it wrong with it? I never flew a perfect Phantom before. Unless the loss of the video feed has something to do with the unstable hover? The camera can see but it’s just not being sent to the RC does the main camera play any part in the vision system?

It was drifting al over in atti mode (I would not think of flying it inside like this) I can shoot a video of it in different modes to show how it s behaving, maybe something else it wrong with it? I never flew a perfect Phantom before. Unless the loss of the video feed has something to do with the unstable hover? The camera can see but it’s just not being sent to the RC does the main camera play any part in the vision system?
No, the main camera has nothing to do with the vision system. What you could try is calibrating the vision system with dji assistance 2. Also, check if there is an pattern on the ground while flying the phantom. If there is, you could trick (mislead) the vision system.

No, the main camera has nothing to do with the vision system. What you could try is calibrating the vision system with dji assistance 2. Also, check if there is an pattern on the ground while flying the phantom. If there is, you could trick (mislead) the vision system.

Image1519332368.907389.jpgthis is the area I flew it in I don’t see a pattern it’s all dried leaves and hard packed Red Clay. When I tried to land it somehow it seemed to get disoriented and flipped I will try to find the video of it flipping and post it.

i bought a p3 just for learning atti mode,i noticed because its design being square and top heavy,it will tend to want to flip,this aspect i think wont be the same with a mavic but the floating away will be.

View attachment 31992this is the area I flew it in I don’t see a pattern it’s all dried leaves and hard packed Red Clay. When I tried to land it somehow it seemed to get disoriented and flipped I will try to find the video of it flipping and post it.
heres the flip! it was just floating along i just missed a tree but when it was about 6 inches off the ground and i tried to lower it the second it touched the ground it jumped and flipped.

heres the flip! it was just floating along i just missed a tree but when it was about 6 inches off the ground and i tried to lower it the second it touched the ground it jumped and flipped.
you came in too fast and didnt allow time to hover first for a few seconds and then gently press down

View attachment 31992this is the area I flew it in I don’t see a pattern it’s all dried leaves and hard packed Red Clay. When I tried to land it somehow it seemed to get disoriented and flipped I will try to find the video of it flipping and post it.
Because of the leaves (flying around) you’re phantom can get disoriented. For the best results you should fly a little more gently and keep an eye out for trees !

Because of the leaves (flying around) you’re phantom can get disoriented. For the best results you should fly a little more gently and keep an eye out for trees !

I don’t have much of a option where I live to fly it , there no pavement on the property and 100s of oak trees around me, the leaves will be gone in a couple months when the owner cleans up for spring.

you came in too fast and didnt allow time to hover first for a few seconds and then gently press down

It was drifting I was try to avoid the tree just as I cleared the tree I tried to put it down because there was a dense patch of trees behind it! Another 15’ and it would have been a disaster! I guess the drift was because of atti mode? I kept trying to nudge it but I kept going the way it was so I put it down as fast as I could and it flipped! My mavic was never in atti mode so I guess this is normal maybe?

if it isnt steady before touch down itll flip everytime,atti mode shouldnt interfere with this unless wind was moving it in which case you could hand catch

if it isnt steady before touch down itll flip everytime,atti mode shouldnt interfere with this unless wind was moving it in which case you could hand catch

I guess that’s what happened it was drifting into a bad area and I tried to put it down ASAP went to fast I guess it was better to flip it than it get caught up in dense trees and destroy props or worse. The air was calm it’s hard to explain where it was heading no video because I was flying it backwards to watch the camera position (no video down link) I can say it’s much easier to see up in the air than my MPP! My mavic can fade into the sky at 100’ I had this up 200’ and could still see the orientation of it by the lights. I really have to get the video link fixed because if I ever loose site of it I will have nothing to tell were it is up in the air besides the logs then it’s a hunt.

I guess that’s what happened it was drifting into a bad area and I tried to put it down ASAP went to fast I guess it was better to flip it than it get caught up in dense trees and destroy props or worse. The air was calm it’s hard to explain where it was heading no video because I was flying it backwards to watch the camera position (no video down link) I can say it’s much easier to see up in the air than my MPP! My mavic can fade into the sky at 100’ I had this up 200’ and could still see the orientation of it by the lights. I really have to get the video link fixed because if I ever loose site of it I will have nothing to tell were it is up in the air besides the logs then it’s a hunt.
You shouldn't be practicing ATTI in a high risk area with trees. You're doing the right thing to learn what ATTI is like, but you should seek out an open area like a football field or baseball field to learn the skill of flying ATTI in those rare times that you have no choice. You should never land when moving horizontally, I think you learned that already. You should also descend slower, easing the craft down, as if it was made of glass, which I think you learned with your flip. When you have a choice, NEVER land in ATTI. You're much better off using the GPS and VPS to steady the craft as you land. As a beginner I highly recommend seeking out a better OPEN flying area with less risk to learn how to fly, a place having no trees. You're inviting trouble otherwise.

Reactions: DroneJI
You shouldn't be practicing ATTI in a high risk area with trees. You're doing the right thing to learn what ATTI is like, but you should seek out an open area like a football field or baseball field to learn the skill of flying ATTI in those rare times that you have no choice. You should never land when moving horizontally, I think you learned that already. You should also descend slower, easing the craft down, as if it was made of glass, which I think you learned with your flip. When you have a choice, NEVER land in ATTI. You're much better off using the GPS and VPS to steady the craft as you land. As a beginner I highly recommend seeking out a better OPEN flying area with less risk to learn how to fly, a place having no trees. You're inviting trouble otherwise.

I know it’s not a fully functioning drone I didn’t know what to expect I wanted to keep it contained there are other campers on the property so I chose to fly it with the trees and my camper between it and other campers and I’m glad it did it could have hit someone’s camper besides mine! They guy next to me is weird (socially unstable) I try to keep my distance from him last thing I want is to even get close to his rig! So yea lesson learned I have to find a pet friendly field somewhere most places around here ban dogs! Even the public parks ( I guess they had to many issues in the past my dog is a retired Police dog very well behaved but she’s exempt from the laws I just hate arguing with people over it)

actually learning atti for me in a wide open area is pointless,you can learn much more in a dense area,yes you may crash sooner but for me i bought mine knowing this would happen and it has when i sneezed and grazing my wifes car chipping a prop.
you learn much more as your fingers are constantly busy in a confined area.
for me learn the controls in a open area then really learn atti in a busy confined area.

He's talking of ATTI mode. None of the vision sensors are used there and there is no position hold at all.

Yes all DJI craft behave in a similar way in ATTI.

actually learning atti for me in a wide open area is pointless,you can learn much more in a dense area,yes you may crash sooner but for me i bought mine knowing this would happen and it has when i sneezed and grazing my wifes car chipping a prop.
you learn much more as your fingers are constantly busy in a confined area.
for me learn the controls in a open area then really learn atti in a busy confined area.

I think the open area at first to learn how it flys under certain situations then confined areas to hone my skills, it was kinda pointless to try where I did for my first atti flight! But I had no idea what it would be like that’s why I tool so much precaution against hitting things I didn’t own! The trees won’t mind but people’s property is a different story

actually learning atti for me in a wide open area is pointless,you can learn much more in a dense area,yes you may crash sooner
You're right, you will crash sooner. That's inviting trouble.

ATTI is often used by pro videographers as the preferred flight mode to enhance the smoothness of a clip. Letting the craft drift in the wind while yawing the craft to capture a POI is the secret to many clips you often see.

In an open field, set a chair (or any large object) in the center of the field away from any objects, especially trees. Then make straight passes (not circles) by that chair while keeping the chair in the center of the frame. Then, try that by letting the wind drift the craft past the chair. With time you'll figure out how to use the drift affect, and the coasting effect of ATTI to your advantage. Doing this in ATTI can be very helpful after you learn the skill set, and how to adapt to the different wind levels that's available. POI pass-by videos can be very smooth with a 3mph wind drift, while you focus on keeping the POI centered. Doing this in a field is hard enough as a beginner, doing it with obstacles around the area is not only risky, it's not relevant to learning about ATTI mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato