DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ATTI-Must Have

flyNfrank

Reactions
It says no ATTI.

I use ATTI each time I fly to see the wind direction at the altitude I'm at.

Not sure how to I'll be able to function without ATTI.

It does have ATTI mode. There just is no way to manually switch to it.

I use it for the same thing Frank to be honest though I don't really think I will need it.

The Mavic does monitor wind conditions somehow (which doesn't seem to have been documented thus far), as there are a couple of preview videos where the controller warned them of excessive wind. If wind is the only reason you used Atti mode, I don't know that you'll miss it that much.

Having said that, I really did like the ability to record while it was drifting in wind; there was a bit of authenticity to a nature flight that way.

The Mavic does monitor wind conditions somehow (which doesn't seem to have been documented thus far), as there are a couple of preview videos where the controller warned them of excessive wind. If wind is the only reason you used Atti mode, I don't know that you'll miss it that much.

Having said that, I really did like the ability to record while it was drifting in wind; there was a bit of authenticity to a nature flight that way.

Wind is not the only reason I use it. More importantly I reference switching to atti for those who are in certain failure situations during flight. I also enjoy using atti as what I call Hot Air Balloon mode. If the wind speed is not too high and going in the same direction I want to travel, I will switch to it and drift while hovering.

I'm guessing the Excessive Wind Warning is just a reading of certain sensors and voltage percentage.

I do see the merits of flying in that mode. It may possibly be something that is added later.

I agree. They definitely should have included a manual atti mode.

ATTI is very useful as a single operator on the Inspire that's for sure. I will kick the craft off in a direction in ATTI and then switch to controlling the camera with the touchscreen while the craft just drifts on its own. Then - when done - I flick it back to GPS and line up the next shot.

No ATTI mode is a problem. How is a newbie suppose to practice ATTI mode? When he encounters losing GPS he's going to panic, not knowing what's going on, and how to handle it.

Interesting takes on her regarding ATTI mode. I think it should be added. For me though it won't be an issue. Truly in almost 300 hundred miles flown the only a few times did it switch. That's with the Phantom 3. Mavic, P4 it seems like it will be even less of an issue. Those of you who fly P4's how often do you have your bird drop gps?

Interesting takes on her regarding ATTI mode. I think it should be added. For me though it won't be an issue. Truly in almost 300 hundred miles flown the only a few times did it switch. That's with the Phantom 3. Mavic, P4 it seems like it will be even less of an issue. Those of you who fly P4's how often do you have your bird drop gps?
Only when I go under a cement bridge.

Wind is not the only reason I use it. More importantly I reference switching to atti for those who are in certain failure situations during flight. I also enjoy using atti as what I call Hot Air Balloon mode. If the wind speed is not too high and going in the same direction I want to travel, I will switch to it and drift while hovering.

I'm guessing the Excessive Wind Warning is just a reading of certain sensors and voltage percentage.
I agree, ATTI is valuable to shoot cinematic shots that are smooth and non-jerky. I have much better yaw movements while in ATTI than when using GPS. For some reason when using GPS the yaw movements are unpredictable with my P4. In calm conditions everything will be going fine with a side flight yaw combination when passing a POI, then all of a sudden the camera will slightly jerk, even thought the sticks haven't moved. When I do this same move in ATTI mode with my P4 this jerky movement rarely happens. It may be caused by the camera gimbal yaw, but I'm not sure. The gimbal in the P4 will actually yaw about 4 degrees in each direction. You can see that happen when the craft is on the ground with motors off. Just give the craft left and right yaw with the left stick and watch the camera view. I assume the Mavic will have the same 4 degree left-right yaw movement in the gimbal, so they can claim 3 axis gimble.

Last edited:
Reactions: kykayak

Having just realized my new drone is somewhat crippled by the omission of atti mode this just made my day.

Can people please chime in more on this tinfoil hack, especially if anybody has tried it on the mavic?

I've searched this forum to the best of my ability to find a hack to get the mavic to be totally manual.

Is this a "bulletproof" way to get the mavic to behave like a "dumb" quad?

I want flight practice and I want to be able to take off, fly and land totally unsupported with all the natural drifting, corrections and hassles that entails.
To buy "a cheap training drone" is not an option for me since it'll have a different feel and controller than the mavic and I want to be able to know my mavic should the auto atti mode kick in during flight.

So by taping tinfoil over the whole back of the mavic before take off, can I be guaranteed that atti mode will work perfectly and that I can take off, fly and land without the drone doing anything "funny" to compensate?

Has anybody actually tried this?

ATTI is very useful as a single operator on the Inspire that's for sure. I will kick the craft off in a direction in ATTI and then switch to controlling the camera with the touchscreen while the craft just drifts on its own. Then - when done - I flick it back to GPS and line up the next shot.

I've never thought to try that, but sounds like it'd be useful.

Having just realized my new drone is somewhat crippled by the omission of atti mode this just made my day.

Can people please chime in more on this tinfoil hack, especially if anybody has tried it on the mavic?

I've searched this forum to the best of my ability to find a hack to get the mavic to be totally manual.

Is this a "bulletproof" way to get the mavic to behave like a "dumb" quad?

I want flight practice and I want to be able to take off, fly and land totally unsupported with all the natural drifting, corrections and hassles that entails.
To buy "a cheap training drone" is not an option for me since it'll have a different feel and controller than the mavic and I want to be able to know my mavic should the auto atti mode kick in during flight.

So by taping tinfoil over the whole back of the mavic before take off, can I be guaranteed that atti mode will work perfectly and that I can take off, fly and land without the drone doing anything "funny" to compensate?

Has anybody actually tried this?

I know this is not optimal, but you could get a used Phantom (1,2, or 3). I have the original P, picked up a used P3A ($310) while waiting for my Mavic, and now the Mavic. IMHO, they all fly about the same.

The original Phantom is about 1/2 (maybe more) the weight of the P3A and this changed takeoffs for me a bit.

Even if the tinfoil method works it's not useful. I use ATTI mode for measuring wind speed and really miss it on the Mavic. I've also used it a few times for shooting but don't really need it for that. It's a shame - seems like such an arbitrary feature to dumb down.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR