DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Audits

LawrenceF

Reactions
Hi Guys: I'm new to drones and am soaking up all of the information I can find to be sure that I fly safely and legally. So far I'm having lots of fun with my DJI Mini SE.

One thing that disturbed me when going over various YouTube videos are these "auditors", people who - it seems clear to me - intentionally fly drones in places where they know it will provoke confrontation. Even though their activities are technically legal, I find it troubling. That is to say, people are literally making money on YouTube by intentionally annoying other people and the fact that the annoyed may be ignorant of current drone laws is 100% irrelevant to me. I find the entire thing distasteful and disingenuous.

Honestly, If I were flying my drone over a local company's property and they asked me to stop, I would just stop. It's just common kindness and respect and the fact that they may be ignorant of the airspace laws - or that I'm legally entitled to do it - is irrelevant to me. The same goes for my neighbor, if he asks me to not fly over his property I wouldn't, or at a bare minimum if I had to cross his property I would fly high enough where it wouldn't matter and nobody would ever see it anyway.

As I explore my new hobby it seems pretty clear to me that there are some random idiots out there making it more difficult for the majority. No wonder so many people hate drones.

Anyway, I plan on taking that approach. Getting along with people, respecting their wishes, and having lots of fun.

I had to get that off of my chest.

Last edited:
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

1st Amendment Auditors are what many of them call themselves. But in reality, they are antagonizers.

I don't specially like this kind of content, but the more people having "ad nauseam" legal confrontations with karens/police, the less they'd want to confront normal hobbyist later on.

IMO they can just keep searching confrontations o purpose till nobody cares any more about drones flying nearby, it's a good thing for normal hobbyist.

Reactions: ronb172
Hi Guys: I'm new to drones and am soaking up all of the information I can find to be sure that I fly safely and legally. So far I'm having lots of fun with my DJI Mini SE.

One thing that disturbed me when going over various YouTube videos are these "auditors", people who - it seems clear to me - intentionally fly drones in places where they know it will provoke confrontation. Even though their activities are technically legal, I find it troubling. That is to say, people are literally making money on YouTube by intentionally annoying other people and the fact that the annoyed may be ignorant of current drone laws is 100% irrelevant to me. I find the entire thing distasteful and disingenuous.

Honestly, If I were flying my drone over a local company's property and they asked me to stop, I would just stop. It's just common kindness and respect and the fact that they may be ignorant of the airspace laws - or that I'm legally entitled to do it - is irrelevant to me. The same goes for my neighbor, if he asks me to not fly over his property I wouldn't, or at a bare minimum if I had to cross his property I would fly high enough where it wouldn't matter and nobody would ever see it anyway.

As I explore my new hobby it seems pretty clear to me that there are some random idiots out there making it more difficult for the majority. No wonder so many people hate drones.

Anyway, I plan on taking that approach. Getting along with people, respecting their wishes, and having lots of fun.

Amen. If everyone flying drones had your attitudes and sense of responsibility, we'd have fewer restrictions and negativism about drones. Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, I've watched a few of those. I'm not an urban drone pilot, but most of these places the 'auditors' want to fly over look pretty boring in a visual sense. The whole point of these 'audits' seem to be creating conflict to entertain a jaded few, you know, like bum fights...

Reactions: SeaPig
Yeah, I've watched a few of those. I'm not an urban drone pilot, but most of these places the 'auditors' want to fly over look pretty boring in a visual sense. The whole point of these 'audits' seem to be creating conflict to entertain a jaded few, you know, like bum fights...
Many of them have YouTube channels and do this for clicks and views. That's all they care about

Oh yes.
And then on top of everything else, we have the wonderful Taco Bell commercial with the two dorks flying FPV.

Reactions: hagman23

I wholeheartedly agree with you, those self appointed so called Auditors are doing it for one reason only, subscriber numbers and “MONEY”. Respect for other people should always be foremost in whatever we do in life. Graham

Last edited:

I totally agree with Lawrence F.

Dale

Reactions: SeaPig
I watch a lot of drone content on YouTube and have never come across anything like this. I've seen some confrontation videos, but none where the pilot was doing anything I would label antagonistic or intentionally confrontational. Not saying that content doesn't exist, just that I'm glad the algorithm isn't feeding it to me!

I, for one, try and find the times/locations for launching that are the least likely to put me in contact with other people...and nearly all of my flying is at 400ft (or higher if there's a structure I can fly over), so the few times I've had people even audibly comment on my flying, it was because they saw me with the controller and not because my drone was being bothersome. And in every case, they seemed either vaguely curious or super interested. Not all situations lend themselves to that, but seeking out confrontations just seems so stupid to me and indicative of a personality that should not be allowed to pilot *anything* with a motor, as I assume these are the same people that are getting into road rage incidents.

Thankfully, I’ve never seen one of these videos you are referring to.

Personally, I practice flying in the park behind my house and never fly over people or houses. The rest of my flying/filming is usually done out in the wilderness or in places where people don’t exist.

Respect for others goes a long way in building good rapport for the drone community.

Please show me a link of someone intentionally doing a 1st amendment audit with a drone. I watch the normal 1st amendment video audits all the time and have NEVER seen anyone use a drone.

I'm not in any way saying this doesn't happen, BTW. Lol. Jerks everywhere...

Please link.

I'm convinced that humanity in the post pandemic world has flown out the window. Drone pilots are no different that bad vehicle drivers, or distracted bar patrons, or...etc.

Those that dismiss any form of civility and regulations stating that they have "inalienable rights" is human behavior at its lowest point....sad

Reactions: Aerophile
I'm convinced that humanity in the post pandemic world has flown out the window. Drone pilots are no different that bad vehicle drivers, or distracted bar patrons, or...etc.

Those that dismiss any form of civility and regulations stating that they have "inalienable rights" is human behavior at its lowest point....sad
There's a lot right now I would like to say about my rights as an American citizen but then this post will really just deteriorate into nonsense.

Let's stay on topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: drhitch54
It's not just drones with these "1st Amendment Auditors", but many other situations. Mostly mundane things that could be handled in seconds with common sense and politeness. Instead, they become the little kids stomping their feet to prove they are right. Yes, some cops overstep and need to be reminded, but in 95% of the situation, it's just pointless. And yes, I believe that many, in particular those whose YouTube channels are dedicated to this behavior, are going out of their way to provoke and accelerate the situation for views and likes. I'm all for standing up for your rights, but one needs to pick your battles.

Please show me a link of someone intentionally doing a 1st amendment audit with a drone. I watch the normal 1st amendment video audits all the time and have NEVER seen anyone use a drone.

I'm not in any way saying this doesn't happen, BTW. Lol. Jerks everywhere...

Please link.
this

Looks like you found The ONLY One. I don't think this is anything to be concerned about YET.

Yes, you found ONE EXAMPLE. And I agree this could be a huge problem, but I think, (hope), that the drone angle is overlooked by the people trying to protect our rights by sacrificing our hobby and making the drone a "martyr."

Note: That was a long last sentance. ;)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej