DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Australia > Thailand

jimmyboards

Reactions
I read all these regulations and government entities you need to register with and some even taking 3 months to hear back and proof of insurance.... has anyone actually even had any issues? I plan to fly around islands and in remote locations not within city limits, my question is, has anyone had any problems, my biggest fear is having my drone confiscated by customs.... and all the do gooders can feel free not to comment ‘just do what is required and you’ll have no problems’ - I don’t have time to wait 3 months to get permission. Thanks!

This looks like a comprehensive explanation of the Drone laws in Thailand, probably not worth taking one.

Also noted some islands are completely off limits

How to register your drone in Thailand

Last edited:
I read all these regulations and government entities you need to register with and some even taking 3 months to hear back and proof of insurance.... has anyone actually even had any issues? I plan to fly around islands and in remote locations not within city limits, my question is, has anyone had any problems, my biggest fear is having my drone confiscated by customs.... and all the do gooders can feel free not to comment ‘just do what is required and you’ll have no problems’ - I don’t have time to wait 3 months to get permission. Thanks!

If you search next time, you'll get a lot more anecdotal experience than just a couple of us: Search Results for Query: thailand | DJI Mavic Drone Forum

I was in Thailand in October. No issues at all at customs. I flew in some remote places -- ie the road to Pai -- and saw nobody at all with the exception of a somewhat eccentric expat who looked like he had never seen a cellphone, let alone a drone. I met many tourists that brought drones, and all said that they were discreet in using them and had had no issues.

My understanding is that you will get nowhere applying for a permit. But if you don't make a spectacle of yourself -- ie flying over beaches in Phuket or flying anywhere in Bangkok, there is low likelihood of coming across any officials.

Reactions: Former Member
Thanks for the replies. Good points to consider. I’m not sure it’s worth the risk confiscation of a $1800 drone but we’ll see.

Right, but they just passed new mandatory registration or get 5 years in prison laws. I'm wondering if they are actually enforcing drone flying more due to these new laws, or if anyone has actually been thrown in jail. Most of the anecdotal posts are from late last year and no one had issues.

All drones must be registered by 9 January 2018 or you face up to 5 years in a Thai prison

Interesting, though not surprising. The military government there is now acting like it will actively squash dissent, and perhaps another coup is brewing. But for all that, in much of Thailand it feels like business as usual. Local police forces are always looking for a bribe for small crimes, so I guess the question is whether drones are considered a small crime, or a big crime.

Most of the places I flew there was no visible law enforcement presence at all. But I bet there is in most places that have a beach.

Hey, just got back from 2 weeks in thailand. Arrived in Bangkok and than went to Koh Samui, Krabi, Phi Phi and Phuket and had zero problems. Went through 7 airports in 2 weeks and had no problem at the airports either. I flew it in Krabi at Railay Beach and in Phuket in Chalong Bay. I have to admit that I flew the drone multiple times in Railay Beach and never realized its a "national park" and couldn't fly it. There was even a sign saying no drones that I didn't see but I still had no problems. I had one lady walk up to me and tell me I couldn't fly it but she was really nice about it. There were so many people flying drones on that beach. Be careful and you should be fine. I flew my Spark at night and in the morning when the beaches were empty. Probably why I got stopped that one time. Others flew theirs during the day on a very crowded beach which is stupid. Apparently everything is a national park there and you cant fly it but no one pays attention if you are careful. I never registered it either. Waste of time. I did submit the form to the email on their website and printed it out so I could at least show I submitted the form. I had zero intention of fully registering. I did not provide any information on drone insurance as I was not going to get any although I did meet a guy who did register it.

Hey, just got back from 2 weeks in thailand. Arrived in Bangkok and than went to Koh Samui, Krabi, Phi Phi and Phuket and had zero problems. Went through 7 airports in 2 weeks and had no problem at the airports either. I flew it in Krabi at Railay Beach and in Phuket in Chalong Bay. I have to admit that I flew the drone multiple times in Railay Beach and never realized its a "national park" and couldn't fly it. There was even a sign saying no drones that I didn't see but I still had no problems. I had one lady walk up to me and tell me I couldn't fly it but she was really nice about it. There were so many people flying drones on that beach. Be careful and you should be fine. I flew my Spark at night and in the morning when the beaches were empty. Probably why I got stopped that one time. Others flew theirs during the day on a very crowded beach which is stupid. Apparently everything is a national park there and you cant fly it but no one pays attention if you are careful. I never registered it either. Waste of time. I did submit the form to the email on their website and printed it out so I could at least show I submitted the form. I had zero intention of fully registering. I did not provide any information on drone insurance as I was not going to get any although I did meet a guy who did register it.

Glad to hear this. I will be traveling around Lanta and Phuket and I will exercise caution and have some "paperwork" just in case. Avoiding crowded areas and obvious police presence is probably a good idea so you don't get into a situation. I'm interested in beach and island shots for the most part.

I contacted a company in Thailand who will do the insurance and the registration process, though they will not be held to the time for CAAT to process the application. They estimate about 2 months.

Total cost is 5500 THB

There are 5 forms to complete and numerous documents to be provided.

All up it is just too complex and I have decided to leave the MP at home. Complicated enough getting Chinese, Mongolian and Russian visas that I will need for the trip.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61