DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Australian drone flying rules

iamcostas

Reactions
Merry Christmas and happy new year ?
I was reading again about the drone flying rules here in Australia.
I think the rules are not so specific and confuse me...

A) they say you must fly the drone 30m away from people. Does this mean I could fly a drone 30m above from a person?
B) they say you must fly one drone at the time. What if we are a group of 100 people at the same spot and each person has one drone?
C) they say you could fly a drone that weights less than 250gr in a airport with no control tower within 5.5km.
So if my drone weights 251 gr, what is this all about the weight? Is is about a potential collision?
D) if I understand well , I don't have to register (yet) a Mavic air which is weight more than 250 gr because I use it for recreational purposes. Is it true?
E) they say you can't fly the drone 120m above ground level. So, can I fly the drone on the top of a tall building?

I hope I will find the answers soon or later ?
Thanks

Last edited:
Merry Christmas and happy new year ?
I was reading again about the drone flying rules here in Australia.
I think the rules are not so specific and confuse me...

A) they say you must fly the drone 30m away from people. Does this mean I could fly a drone 30m above from a person?
B) they say you must fly one drone at the time. What if we are a group of 100 people at the same spot and each person has one drone?
C) they say you could fly a drone that weights less than 250gr in a airport with no control tower within 5.5km.
So if my drone weights 251 gr, what is this all about the weight? Is is about a potential collision?
D) if I understand well , I don't have to register (yet) a Mavic air which is weight more than 250 gr because I use it for recreational purposes. Is it true?
E) they say you can't fly the drone 120m above ground level. So, can I fly the drone on the top of a tall building?

I hope I will find the answers soon or later ?
Thanks
My understanding of the rules relating to your questions for recreational drone pilots in Australia are...

A) No. You are not permitted to fly over any person at any altitude. You are permitted to fly at a 30 meter distance from a person.

B) OK. One drone to one pilot.

C) Pretty clear I think. If your drone weighs more than 250 grams, you must fly at least 5.5 kilometres away from a controlled airport, which generally have a control tower at them.

D) True

E) We cannot fly higher than 120 meters above ground level.
1608902774023.png

Last edited:
i think that no matter what altitude is you can not fly more than 120 mtrs.

as long as you are 30 mtrs from a person or crowd , that is legal. it does not matter..

that is personal opinion ... to me 30mtrs is 30mtrs no matter what direction 3D.

i think that no matter what altitude is you can not fly more than 120 mtrs.

as long as you are 30 mtrs from a person or crowd , that is legal. it does not matter..

that is personal opinion ... to me 30mtrs is 30mtrs no matter what direction 3D.

120m altitude limit is above the ground under the drone.
Not buildings or other man made structure.

With distance from people, yes 30m is lateral, no point about within that ‘cylindrical’ shape.

See the diagram for that here, along with other rules.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giku