DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Australia's beautiful Gold Coast hinterland.

christangey

Reactions
Site
www.alicespringsfilmtv.com.au
Just a small peek at this part of the Australian state of Queensland. All shot with M2P and polar pro ND filters. Color graded in FCPX with neat video 5 plugin. The plugin removed shadow noise but also moiring in the final shot due to excessive detail, a common problem on the Mavic Pro 1, but first time I've seen it on the M2P.

Last edited:
Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Nice smooth footage Chris. We're on a NT roadtrip and finding it really difficult to find places to put our MP2P up. Currently around Alice and got a couple of gorges in the East Macdonnell Ranges, but most had the No Drones badge proudly displayed. Heading to Uluru and Kings Canyon and guarantee it will be the same there. You were lucky to have such wonderful scenery where you were allowed to fly. I've had to be satisfied with shooting lesser known locations, like this one at Devil's Marbles and one in the East Macdonnell Ranges near Alice Springs.
Cheers,
Sean

Attachments

• _SDF1213ps.jpg
    _SDF1213ps.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 21
  • org_55844e42a3cd2e8e_1560382872000.jpg
    org_55844e42a3cd2e8e_1560382872000.jpg
    8.6 MB · Views: 21
Reactions: christangey
Nice smooth footage Chris. We're on a NT roadtrip and finding it really difficult to find places to put our MP2P up. Currently around Alice and got a couple of gorges in the East Macdonnell Ranges, but most had the No Drones badge proudly displayed. Heading to Uluru and Kings Canyon and guarantee it will be the same there. You were lucky to have such wonderful scenery where you were allowed to fly. I've had to be satisfied with shooting lesser known locations, like this one at Devil's Marbles and one in the East Macdonnell Ranges near Alice Springs.
Cheers,
Sean
Nice images Sean. You will find that all Parks in the NT have the same drone policy, including Devil's Marbles. The exception is Uluru which, being a Commonwealth Park, is the most restricted. As I normally shoot under a commercial permit in NT Parks, which includes not just a Filming permit but a separate "operate aircraft in park" permit, I'm not up on recreational use. Last I heard was that you could approach a Ranger for permission for a short flight but that may have changed, plus over such a huge area like the NT it is not always easy to find a Ranger either. Of course there's always the issues of liability insurances as well, I pay over $100 a month for mine.

Nice Chris, up on the Main Range ?

From the hobbyists perspective . . .
While I agree many places in parks like the West Macs, with their serene gorges and usually lots of visitors should be no drone zones, there are some very isolated areas in the NT, inc West Macs and other various parks in the state, and a shame drone operations for 15 - 20 mins of vision are simply blanket banned across all of them.
Yes, it's the easy option, I know.

I hope the other 5 states / territories will follow the QLD and WA lead in allowing drone flight in Nat Pks under CASA rules and with some basic courtesy to follow park rules not to annoy other visitors and wildlife.

Nice Chris, up on the Main Range ?

From the hobbyists perspective . . .
While I agree many places in parks like the West Macs, with their serene gorges and usually lots of visitors should be no drone zones, there are some very isolated areas in the NT, inc West Macs and other various parks in the state, and a shame drone operations for 15 - 20 mins of vision are simply blanket banned across all of them.
Yes, it's the easy option, I know.

I hope the other 5 states / territories will follow the QLD and WA lead in allowing drone flight in Nat Pks under CASA rules and with some basic courtesy to follow park rules not to annoy other visitors and wildlife.
Not my area, but not sure they have a "blanket ban", I think a phone call to Parks in Darwin is your best bet to clarify

Not my area, but not sure they have a "blanket ban", I think a phone call to Parks in Darwin is your best bet to clarify

Cheers Chris, it's a pain that most of the other 5 states / territories are generally different is some ways.

NT parks policy is "If you want to fly your drone for recreation in a park or reserve you need an operation of aircraft permit."

I just looked at that and it seems to be more hobbyist friendly that it used to be . . .

It appears to be a blanket form to fly for 12 months, and looks like a free permit, 5 days to process.

Now that is great !!

Looks like a total look over all the remaining states / territory park drone rules might be a good idea !!
Sure SA is still no fly, and probably Vic, not sure about NSW, ACT, Tas, but they probably also have tighter restrictions.

Anyway, where was you video shot ?
Parts looked like Main Range.

Cheers Chris, it's a pain that most of the other 5 states / territories are generally different is some ways.

NT parks policy is "If you want to fly your drone for recreation in a park or reserve you need an operation of aircraft permit."

I just looked at that and it seems to be more hobbyist friendly that it used to be . . .

It appears to be a blanket form to fly for 12 months, and looks like a free permit, 5 days to process.

Now that is great !!

Looks like a total look over all the remaining states / territory park drone rules might be a good idea !!
Sure SA is still no fly, and probably Vic, not sure about NSW, ACT, Tas, but they probably also have tighter restrictions.

Anyway, where was you video shot ?
Parts looked like Main Range.
Nowhere near Main Range, around the Numinbah valley and Springbrook.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Well done! Loved it!
Thanks Thomas, all a work in progress though, always looking for some other beautiful position to place that camera!

Reactions: Thomas B
Just a small peek at this part of the Australian state of Queensland. All shot with M2P and polar pro ND filters. Color graded in FCPX with neat video 5 plugin. The plugin removed shadow noise but also moiring in the final shot due to excessive detail, a common problem on the Mavic Pro 1, but first time I've seen it on the M2P.
Beautifully flown video Chris. Superb footage.....

I'll be visiting first week of July. Are there any special rules for visitors? Will be in the Brisbane/Gold Coast areas.

@kejoal11 pretty cool to fly up there still, we have registrations and licensing coming in Australia, but you'll be ahead of that by a fair way.

Just fly to CASA rules Flying drones or model aircraft recreationally

Download the 'Can I Fly There' app for iphone and android, gives you no fly zones, there are lots of these in the Gold Coast (loads of helicopter landing locations), but you can find spots here and there.

Watch out in city council parks, Brisbane City Council for example only allow drones in 10 or so parks in their large district . . .

And you can fly your drone (hobbyist) in QLD (Queensland) National Parks, they just ask you to avoid annoying people and animals.
Just south over the Border in NSW (New South Wales) Nat Parks, drones are pretty much banned for hobbyists, or made too hard.

I'm not sure if the DJI app MIGHT make you do a very simple 'test' to fly here, once it sees where you are . . . it's very easy based on the CASA rules.
I had it pop up when it was introduced, so it might appear for you, maybe print the rules and have them on hand to refer to in your drone bag.

Enjoy your visit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ