DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autel Robotics releases Smart Controller for EVO II

It is very possible that my next drone will be an Autel. In this day with Autel getting better and better with each new thing it probably isn't bad to have at least one thing outside of the DJI lineup, particularly where you don't have to worry about geofencing.

Reactions: AnzacJack
Agree with above... but surely the day is coming when brands other than DJI will require jumping through hoops.

My MP2 is in the corner gathering dust since the Autel Evo 2 6k arrived...

I picked up a used Evo2 6k for cheap and figured, ok, lets see what it can do. Lets just say that I'm going to Iceland in 3 weeks and its going while the MP2, and Inspire 2 X5S are staying home. Part of that of course is that I don't want to schlep the I2 over there. But most of it is that the Evo2 is that good. My ground camera is the Fuji GFX50s and a series of Zeiss primes adapted on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here, and I’ve been loyal to DJI since building a flywheel with a Naza controller way back. Air 2s is the first DJI drone that I have not bought.
preordered this smart controller as soon a I saw it. Very much looking forward to getting my h do on it in the next few weeks

Agree with above... but surely the day is coming when brands other than DJI will require jumping through hoops.
I owned an Autel X Star premium from the beginning. The whole thing about them putting the owners in charge of being responsible was what sold me. I've since sold it because they discontinued the batteries for it. I love my new MA2 but probably because I'm in an area where there is basically no restrictions.
I doubt that all companies will make you jump through hoops unless it becomes a requirement by FAA to have the software do it for you. Kind of like having a car that does 140 MPH. Laws indicate speed limits but car manufacturers don't limit their cars to the speed limits on the road. It's up to the owner to be responsible enough to abide by the laws and that's why I don't think it will ever be that way. DJI aren't forced to do what they do. Maybe in the future DJI will do exactly the opposite like Autel and chill out and let us be responsible for our own property.

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
I owned an Autel X Star premium from the beginning. The whole thing about them putting the owners in charge of being responsible was what sold me. I've since sold it because they discontinued the batteries for it. I love my new MA2 but probably because I'm in an area where there is basically no restrictions.
I doubt that all companies will make you jump through hoops unless it becomes a requirement by FAA to have the software do it for you. Kind of like having a car that does 140 MPH. Laws indicate speed limits but car manufacturers don't limit their cars to the speed limits on the road. It's up to the owner to be responsible enough to abide by the laws and that's why I don't think it will ever be that way. DJI aren't forced to do what they do. Maybe in the future DJI will do exactly the opposite like Autel and chill out and let us be responsible for our own property.
Same with me although I got the Air 2 before you. I still have 3 X-Star batteries that work although I only trust 1. The thing I liked was interchangeable cameras although they never did anything with it. There is a rare thermal camera with an X-Star mount but I've only seen 1 ever come up for sale. They could've done a lot with that aircraft that went undone. They could still be selling that aircraft and adding upgraded sensor/camera packages with it today.

Same with me although I got the Air 2 before you. I still have 3 X-Star batteries that work although I only trust 1. The thing I liked was interchangeable cameras although they never did anything with it. There is a rare thermal camera with an X-Star mount but I've only seen 1 ever come up for sale. They could've done a lot with that aircraft that went undone. They could still be selling that aircraft and adding upgraded sensor/camera packages with it today.
Totally agree and more reasons why I sold it and moved on. That thermal camera sold in the forum for like $1100 U.S.
This RC looks pretty sweet but seems a little over priced.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom