DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Authorization Apps and programs

1bad

Reactions
Good Evening from Arizona!

I use Airmap right now to gain authorization to fly when needed. However, I got to thinking the other day when I was having issues, is this is the best program/app out there?

What does everyone use?

The issue that I was having was that it was not approving based off the fact that it was saying it was night time a 715 pm. However, for those familiar with Arizona it is not dark until at least 8pm.

Thanks for your replies

The issue that I was having was that it was not approving based off the fact that it was saying it was night time a 715 pm. However, for those familiar with Arizona it is not dark until at least 8pm.

The issue is not when it gets dark, but when the sun sets. Is 7:15 sunset? Part 107 rules (and I assume its the same for recreational) say that without a waiver you can fly only sunrise to sunset, or 30 minutes before or after sunrise/sunset if you have anti-collision lighting.

I use Airmap right now to gain authorization to fly when needed. However, I got to thinking the other day when I was having issues, is this is the best program/app out there?

What does everyone use?

Thanks for your replies

How long was your requested flight? I checked and sunset is around 7:45pm in Phoenix Arizona right now, but if you requested an hour long flight at 7:15pm, that would have put you past sunset.

Reactions: Bekanne and Gindra
How long was your requested flight? I checked and sunset is around 7:45pm in Phoenix Arizona right now, but if you requested an hour long flight at 7:15pm, that would have put you past sunset.

Ahhhh, good call. I hadn't even though about that. Out of habit I just toss it up for 2 hours. I see the problem now.

Thanks

Ahhhh, good call. I hadn't even though about that. Out of habit I just toss it up for 2 hours. I see the problem now.

Thanks

Yah, i think this is what has been getting me my flight time is extending past sunset sometimes.

Makes me wonder also if either KittyHawk and/or AirMap also takes into account the fact that Arizona does not observe Daylight Savings Time (except on Navajo Nation land, which can get pretty complicated figuring out what time it is there!).

Makes me wonder also if either KittyHawk and/or AirMap also takes into account the fact that Arizona does not observe Daylight Savings Time (except on Navajo Nation land, which can get pretty complicated figuring out what time it is there!).

That's why most of the aviation world actually uses GMT (or "zulu time"), since time zones can be confusing especially when a flight crosses multiple zones.

I have used both apps but recently AirMap has been unreliable. Kittyhawk has never failed me.

Reactions: 1bad
I actually had a lengthy talk with a rep from the FAA and he told me that techinicallys there is no rule against recreational night time flying..but commercial flights at night required a waiver. I even repeated to him a few times the way it sounded and it made it clear that there is no law specifically against recreational night flying in uncontrolled airpspace.

I am still skeptical of that information.

Thoughts?

I actually had a lengthy talk with a rep from the FAA and he told me that techinicallys there is no rule against recreational night time flying..but commercial flights at night required a waiver. I even repeated to him a few times the way it sounded and it made it clear that there is no law specifically against recreational night flying in uncontrolled airpspace.

I am still skeptical of that information.

Thoughts?

Ken Heron wrote the FAA and was told the same:

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
Great video, thanks for the link.

My new question: what about the actual footage from the drone itself? Would that footage be allowed to post on youtube for money as long as you don't see the drone or rc pilot?

If the intentions at the time of the flight were not recreational (for example, you planned to post to a monitized YouTube channel), then you'd need a 107 and the corresponding waiver then.

Not being able to see the drone or pilot is irrelevant.

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
I see, im just wondering if he would have been allowed to film and use the footage of him handing the controls to his friend and still be considered recreational.

I see, im just wondering if he would have been allowed to film and use the footage of him handing the controls to his friend and still be considered recreational.

Well Ken actually has a Part 107 certificate and a night waiver as well, so I suppose that covers him for anything on his YouTube channel.

I have used both apps but recently AirMap has been unreliable. Kittyhawk has never failed me.

Last week I had some issues with AirMap as well. It would say (in the mission brief) that it would automatically reject because pilot information could not be found. I tried logging out/in and that worked a couple times. I also just repeatedly reloaded the mission brief until it was good. I think AirMap was having some issues.

Last week I had some issues with AirMap as well. It would say (in the mission brief) that it would automatically reject because pilot information could not be found. I tried logging out/in and that worked a couple times. I also just repeatedly reloaded the mission brief until it was good. I think AirMap was having some issues.

Likewise. Recently I've had Airmap open up blank or not show any of the local airspace data when I launch the app. It also seems to randomly log me out at times. Kittyhawk has been pretty solid though.

Likewise. Recently I've had Airmap open up blank or not show any of the local airspace data when I launch the app. It also seems to randomly log me out at times. Kittyhawk has been pretty solid though.

I use it through Safari. I have the app on my iPad and iPhone, but don’t use it much...if at all really. I get all my paperwork done first thing, then head out with prints of the authorizations. The only thing I do in the field is check TFR’s/NOTAMS right before launch.

I had that error as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots