DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Authorization Zone Procedures

Firebee

Reactions
Hi! I’m an absolute beginner (received a Mavic Air 2 for Christmas), and I’m new to this forum.

I soon discovered that due to my proximity to a local airport I’m living in an authorization zone. The DJI information I’ve read doesn’t specify with whom I should I should pursue securing authorization.

Q1: Who should I contact to request authorization for recreational use in this zone? The airport? The FAA?

Q2: DJI’s website says I need “an active Internet connection” to pursue in-app live unlocking. If I have a decent cell phone connection is that sufficient, or do I need a Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection?

Thanks for your help!

First, you need to get permission from the FAA. Use LAANC. KCMA is LAANC active. Apply for a LAANC approval via AirMap. Get that app on your phone. If you're in a 0 grid, and are a recreational flyer, you won't be able to get approval.

Once you have that, you can get permission to fly from DJI. And yes, you can make your cell phone a hotspot if you're using a separate monitor.

Just to avoid any possible confusion here, it's important to note that the DJI authorization zones (blue in the DJI Geo system) are not the same as the FAA LAANC grids, and in fact are generally smaller. So while the DJI authorization zone probably means that you need LAANC approval, the converse is not always true.

And they are totally separate systems - to take off or fly in a DJI authorization zone simply requires you to be logged in to your DJI account and request the unlock - no LAANC approval needed. That doesn't make it legal however, without separately getting LAANC approval first.

You need an internet connection so you can receive a code from DJI. You then input the code and agree that you are allowed to fly in the area. It has nothing to do with any regulatory body.

You are simply requesting that an app geo-locked area is unlocked from the app so you can fly in that area. It is up to you to ensure you're not breaking any laws.

Reactions: Droning Rat
In my experience the order in which you do your DJI unlock and get LAANC clearance does not matter. I typically do a Zone unlock with DJI using my home computer. Then I download the unlocking license to the drone either on the spot or next time I'm getting ready to fly. That lasts for 3 days before I have to unlock again. During that time I get multiple LAANC clearances through the ALOFT depending on when exactly I want to fly.

Check into the FAA TRUST certificate before you start flying. It's a quick and easy required thing and serves as a good introduction to the very basics of regulations and good practices.

I'll second what @Dronut said, "It is up to you to ensure you're not breaking any laws." As the pilot in command, you're responsible for knowing where you can and can't fly. Don't trust the DJI system to keep you out controlled, restricted, or prohibited airspace and out of a bind. The FAA's B4YOUFLY app is a simple a way to check on a particular location and current NOTAMS,

Pay attention to the hints and warnings that the FLY app provides in flight, too. There was a tale of woe oabout a lost drone posted yesterday by someone who ignored 158 warnings about wind and low battery state before his drone landed itself nearly three miles downwind.

Welcome to the group. It's a great resource; it's helped me a lot. Jump right in and don't be shy about asking questions.

Welcome to the most convoluted and ridiculous part of owning a DJI drone..... first, if you look at the DJI maps there are several different colors near airports.. the red one you have to sell your mother to the government to fly in... the blue (authorization zone) one you can fly in with an unlocking code... the problem is that the brilliant folks at dji are constantly making it 'more better' for you to do this. Read this as software engineers that don't haven anything better to do and need to keep proving their jobs. They now have a new way to do this that only takes about a day to figure out and make work.... good luck.

Can you tell I am not pleased with all this? I actually use drones in my work and a large percentage of that work is in an authorization zone... the real issue I have is I have no need to fly my drones more than 50ft above the ground and so there is not reasonable way I'm going to hit an aircraft unless it is already in trouble... simple solution would be to not have to get the code if you limit the height the drone can fly... dji could do this and sometimes the software does... but that logic it seems is way beyond the powers at that corporation. There, I'm through venting.

Welcome to the most convoluted and ridiculous part of owning a DJI drone..... first, if you look at the DJI maps there are several different colors near airports.. the red one you have to sell your mother to the government to fly in... the blue (authorization zone) one you can fly in with an unlocking code... the problem is that the brilliant folks at dji are constantly making it 'more better' for you to do this. Read this as software engineers that don't haven anything better to do and need to keep proving their jobs. They now have a new way to do this that only takes about a day to figure out and make work.... good luck.

Can you tell I am not pleased with all this? I actually use drones in my work and a large percentage of that work is in an authorization zone... the real issue I have is I have no need to fly my drones more than 50ft above the ground and so there is not reasonable way I'm going to hit an aircraft unless it is already in trouble... simple solution would be to not have to get the code if you limit the height the drone can fly... dji could do this and sometimes the software does... but that logic it seems is way beyond the powers at that corporation. There, I'm through venting.
I haven't noticed any changes in the unlock process for authorization zones. Can you be more specific?

I have never needed to get permission to fly in a restricted area, but have thought it would be great if someone would make a video and walk us through this process it would be a great information, whenever we might need it.
Thanks

Check out the Pilot Institute deep dive course for your model (no cost). For example Final Thoughts is for the Air 2S. At the end there are videos talking about the various procedures you might need.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Hi. I can't seem to figure out the process between securing LAANC authorization and actually being allowed to take off via DJI's app.

I logged into my DJI account. I then used B4YOUFLY to request authorization to fly within my local airport's authorization zone for 2 hours. A second later B4YOUFLY indicated I'd been granted approval. I powered up my Mavic Air 2 and controller. In the DJI Fly app I selected the "Safety" option in the camera view and tapped "Unlock GEO Zone". Under "Account Unlocking Licenses" it listed my license and gave me the option to import the license to the aircraft. I tapped this, and the app indicated that the import was successful. I checked the DJI app boxes indicating that I had authorization to fly in the zone and that I took responsibility for my flight. Under "Aircraft Unlocking Licenses" it showed my license and indicated it was valid.

I then return to camera view, and it's still showing the red "Aircraft in Authorization Zone. Unable to take off before unlocking" message.

Any tips as to what I'm doing incorrectly would be appreciated.

As far as I know, B4YOUFLY does not get you clearance, you need to use a LAANC provider (e.g. Aloft, which just happens to also produce B4YOUFLY) to get FAA clearance. This is for legal compliance, and not directly related to whether DJI will allow your drone to launch.

To unlock a GEO Zone (which is the technology that allows your drone to fly) you need to use the DJI web site, not the app, to request the unlocking license (https://account.dji.com/login?appId=flysafe-websdite-be&locale=en_US)

The messages you receive from the DJI Fly app are purely related to to the unlocking procedure. It sounds like you already unlocked a zone, if the app let you download a license. If you are getting a message about being unable to take off, I can think of a couple of reasons:
1) You are not located in the zone you selected when requesting your unlock from DJI.
2) You are flying at a different time than covered by your license (though in this case the app would show the license as "invalid".

My understanding is that the FAA's B4YOUFLY app is now in partnership with Aloft to issue authoritative permission to fly.

After checking the boxes in DJI's Fly app indicating that I've secured authorization to fly within the local authorization zone and that I've agreed to take responsibility for my flight and then selecting "Unlock GEO Zone" in the app and successfully importing the resulting license file to my aircraft, I assume I've fulfilled all requirements associated with flying in an authorization zone.

I was in the zone selected when requesting the unlock from DJI, and I was attempting to take off within the two hour time period associated with the license DJI issued.

I suppose it's possible that my GPS signal was weak enough (indoors) that this could have caused an error in my reported location, but I don't recall having a lock on less than seven satellites.

I suspect that an experienced pilot would instantly recognize what I'm doing incorrectly if they were observing me in the process. I guess one thing I'm still confused about is the difference in requesting a GEO zone unlock via DJI's app vs. their web site. Don't both processes issue a license which then must be imported to the aircraft before the app will allow takeoff?

My understanding is that the FAA's B4YOUFLY app is now in partnership with Aloft to issue authoritative permission to fly.

After checking the boxes in DJI's Fly app indicating that I've secured authorization to fly within the local authorization zone and that I've agreed to take responsibility for my flight and then selecting "Unlock GEO Zone" in the app and successfully importing the resulting license file to my aircraft, I assume I've fulfilled all requirements associated with flying in an authorization zone.

I was in the zone selected when requesting the unlock from DJI, and I was attempting to take off within the two hour time period associated with the license DJI issued.

I suppose it's possible that my GPS signal was weak enough (indoors) that this could have caused an error in my reported location, but I don't recall having a lock on less than seven satellites.

I suspect that an experienced pilot would instantly recognize what I'm doing incorrectly if they were observing me in the process. I guess one thing I'm still confused about is the difference in requesting a GEO zone unlock via DJI's app vs. their web site. Don't both processes issue a license which then must be imported to the aircraft before the app will allow takeoff?
At this point it would probably help if you could share which model drone you have, and whether you are using an Android or an iPhone. Because it sounds like your experience may be different from mine. That said:

I just checked on my Mini 2, with an Android phone, DJI Fly V1.5.4(1390-official).

From what I can see, it is not possible to request a DJI zone unlock through the DJI Fly app. I have to go to the DJI web site, login, select information about which drone I am using, then select a zone, a date, and enter a reason for the unlock. This results in DJI granting me a 3 day license to unlock a specific zone. There is no way to specify the hours, it gives you 3 days starting at midnight of the day you specify and ending and midnight 3 days later. I can then see the unlock license in my DJI Fly app. Once I power up the drone and controller, I can use DJI Fly to "download" the license to the drone.

This entire process above is about technically unlocking the drone, to allow it to fly in a place that DJI thinks is restricted. It is not related to getting permission; the FAA gives you permission/clearance through LAANC. I suspect you are doing this by pressing the LAANC button in B4YOUFLY, which launches the ALOFT app if you also have that on your phone. You get to specify the date and time range for that clearance. I suspect that is what you mean by the 2 hour window. But DJI knows nothing about that FAA clearance. It only knows about the unlock license you need to request through the DJI website.

Does this help?

Here is an example of the screens I use to unlock a geo zone through the DJI web site (personal info blacked out):

1641137081652.png

1641137254614.png

Then the attached appears in the DJI FLY app (note: the license shows "expired" because it isn't valid until January 4. It will show "Valid" if you are within the time range.):

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220102-103011.png
    Screenshot_20220102-103011.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 6
At this point it would probably help if you could share which model drone you have, and whether you are using an Android or an iPhone.
First of all, I want to thank you and the other MP forum members who have attempted to help me understand and distinguish the LAANC authorization and DJI license processes.

I’m attempting to fly a Mavic Air 2 using an iPhone 8 as my monitor. You’re correct that I’m using B4YOUFLY/Aloft to secure FAA permission to fly within an authorization zone.

My problem appears to be with the DJI Fly app process for self-unlocking GEO zones. I’ve not yet attempted to use DJI’s web site to secure a license to do this.

Thanks again to all who are attempting to help me learn these processes.

Hi. I'm still unable to secure authorization to take off using DJI Fly's self-unlock approach (no license).

I use my iPhone’s B4YOUFLY app to request LAANC approval through the Aloft companion app. I receive a text message saying “Request Approved, Authorized by FAA, Authorization ### is approved, etc.”

Following the beginning of my approved time slot I set up the drone & controller.

The DJI Fly app’s camera view shows the red “Authorization…” banner at the top of the screen indicating I'm not authorized to fly.

After satisfying myself that everything is ready I press and hold the takeoff icon.

I check the three boxes (I'm qualified, I assume liability, I agree to upload DJI hardware device info) and tap “OK”.

DJI Fly then briefly displays, “Request Failed. Restart App or Contact DJI Support for assistance (Error Code: -1).

Restarting the app results in the same outcome.

I don’t understand why my request is failing. Any guidance as to what I’m doing incorrectly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Not to overly derail this thread (but it needs addressing just the same):

What has changed recently causing it to be so difficult? I fly in the Upstate of SC "For Hire" as well and I've had no issues getting up in the air even in ZERO grids. I actually have pictures of my UAS hovering at 99' AGL on the departure end of a runway with 3 T-6 Texans departing directly overhead. If I can find it I'll post it back in this thread. We have had approval to fly up to 100' directly ahead of an ACTIVE runway for a contractor building on airport property.

Have you considered using an aircraft that doesn't have (or had modified) DJI GeoFencing? We ALWAYS carry one non-GeoFenced aircraft to jobs for this very reason.

Just because you only INTEND to fly at 50'AGL do you also set all your FailSafe parameters to ensure 50' AGL? What happens during a Lost Signal incident and your aircraft does a RTH and zooms up to your preset height that's most likely a good bit more than 50' AGL?

Aviation is about the abundance of SAFETY and when it comes to Human Life we really do need to go above and beyond to not cause an incident and loss of life ESPECIALLY in an area deemed sensitive/dangerous enough to be an Authorization Zone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR