DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Auto Landing & Maps

darby

Reactions
Thank you to everyone who has been helping me!
I am slowly getting rid of the glitches but I found two more today that I need help with. I was in the park today taking is slow and easy. I pushed the RTH button and instead of returning to home it started to auto land. I pulled the TXT file (that I will upload) and this it the statement it gives me:
Obstacle Avoidance will be disabled in landing.; Aircraft close to Home Point. "go home" shifts to "landing".
Good grief! All I want this drone to do is RTH. I hit the button on the controller and the button on my Ipad. The result was the same. This happened on he DJI GO 4 and Litchi apps.
Second problem. When I load up the DJI GO 4 app I do not get the map. The box is there but just grid lines. It shows home point, the controller, and the mavic. When I load the Litchi app everything is there.
Help me please. I am going crazy!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-10-01_[10-08-18].txt
    606.9 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: fiftiesnut
I seem to recall reading somewhere that if the drone is within a certain distance from the Home Point (~20-30m maybe, I don't recall for sure), that pressing the RTH causes it to immediately try landing at wherever it currently is. Seems like a dumb setting to me if that's true, but I'm new to the Mavic myself, and haven't really gotten it out much yet. The only time I've seen mention of Obstacle Avoidance being disabled was if the Mavic was in Sport mode. But again, I haven't read everything in the microscopic font manual that came with my Mavic, so perhaps there's another reason for it.

I pushed the RTH button and instead of returning to home it started to auto land.

As noted above, if the MP is within a certain distance (likely since you said you were "taking it slow and easy"), it will simply auto-land. There's no need to go up to whatever height you had set and then return 100 feet, and then descend again. It may seem stupid to some but more than likely if you are that close a) there's no need to ascend and b) if you do ascend, you're more likely to hit something above you than if you were off flying at quite a distance (think trees, etc)

Obstacle Avoidance will be disabled in landing.; Aircraft close to Home Point. "go home" shifts to "landing".
Good grief! All I want this drone to do is RTH. I hit the button on the controller and the button on my Ipad. The result was the same.

This happens every time you hit the RTH button. It's completely normal when it comes back to land.

Second problem. When I load up the DJI GO 4 app I do not get the map. The box is there but just grid lines. It shows home point, the controller, and the mavic. When I load the Litchi app everything is there.

Do you have a network connection at the time? If not, Litchi may be caching your maps when you're online and you don't have that set for the DJI Go app. Either remain connected to the Internet when you fly or change the settings in the app to cache maps, and then go online and view the area(s) you want to fly in just to get them downloaded. Then they'll be displayed even if you're not connected to the net.

The same thing happen to me last night. I was flying at night. I lost my bearings of where I was so I hit RTH. Looking at my phone I noticed the altitude said zero. I was freaked out. Finally got it back in the air, then used the map to get home. After looking at the log it looks like I landed in the backyard of a house in the next neighborhood. Any ideas why it would do that

@darby, your flight log shows you initiated RTH when your Mavic was 56 feet from the home point and again later when it was 21 feet from the home point. Per the Mavic manual, the Mavic will auto land if it's within 20 meters (65 feet) of the home point when RTH is initiated.

Thanks for posting the link to the manual. The text could do with a little proof reading and correction though.

Thanks again everyone. I did read the manual. I guess I missed that part. Thanks again. BTW I live in Las Vegas so pray for us here.
#VegasStrong

As noted above, if the MP is within a certain distance (likely since you said you were "taking it slow and easy"), it will simply auto-land. There's no need to go up to whatever height you had set and then return 100 feet, and then descend again. It may seem stupid to some but more than likely if you are that close a) there's no need to ascend and b) if you do ascend, you're more likely to hit something above you than if you were off flying at quite a distance (think trees, etc)

This happens every time you hit the RTH button. It's completely normal when it comes back to land.

Do you have a network connection at the time? If not, Litchi may be caching your maps when you're online and you don't have that set for the DJI Go app. Either remain connected to the Internet when you fly or change the settings in the app to cache maps, and then go online and view the area(s) you want to fly in just to get them downloaded. Then they'll be displayed even if you're not connected to the net.
I do not think I have the maps cached. Makes since.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada