DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Auto low battery return

djifish

Reactions
Hi all I'm asking another novis question. If battery is fully charged and I keep flying away from me say in a straight line does the drone auto stop when it knows there's only enough battery to safely return from it's distance

Reactions: Chris4koi
The drone SW have a very limited information about all parameters affecting the drone and how it will be affected in the future during a flight. The only thing it have to work with is past power consumption, height above the HP & distance from the HP.

With this, no automated action from the SW will be failsafe & can't be considered "safe".

1. A proposed RTH will be coming up in the app with a 10sec counting down that can be cancelled by the pilot. It's dependent on the distance to HP. This function don't know anything about how the wind will affect the drone on the return, or if you decide to switch to a more power hungry flight mode like Sport.

2. When the battery voltage reaches a certain level the SW will initiate a low voltage auto level landing with the goal to reach solid ground before the battery goes flat & the drone free falls. This function is height above HP dependent... but the SW don't know the real height beneath your drone, so if the ground is lower there compared to the HP the drone might not reach ground before the battery goes flat. This function can be fought by constantly applying positive throttle to stop the descent.

yes,but be aware of the wind ,i have had the Autel evo 2 and mini 3 wanting to land cause of critical low batt ,when that starts you have about 2 min to keep it up till 0 battery happens

The drone SW have a very limited information about all parameters affecting the drone and how it will be affected in the future during a flight. The only thing it have to work with is past power consumption, height above the HP & distance from the HP.

With this, no automated action from the SW will be failsafe & can't be considered "safe".

1. A proposed RTH will be coming up in the app with a 10sec counting down that can be cancelled by the pilot. It's dependent on the distance to HP. This function don't know anything about how the wind will affect the drone on the return, or if you decide to switch to a more power hungry flight mode like Sport.

2. When the battery voltage reaches a certain level the SW will initiate a low voltage auto level landing with the goal to reach solid ground before the battery goes flat & the drone free falls. This function is height above HP dependent... but the SW don't know the real height beneath your drone, so if the ground is lower there compared to the HP the drone might not reach ground before the battery goes flat. This function can be fought by constantly applying positive throttle to stop the descent.
Going away from the direct subject a little bit, but I noticed this weekend that my Air 2s just runs the battery down (if I have let it go so low) to the point that I get the warning "low battery, landing" and it does land. Fortunately, it wasn't very far away and I was able to maneuver it to a safe landing. I decided to experiment with it and put it in hover about 60 yards away at 85 feet AGL with 50% battery and left it there to see if it would RTH when the battery got low. It just ran it down to about 3% and landed. Is there a setting I can reset?

Short answer, yes. With its best estimate on return power needed.

So don’t fly with the wind until it auto returns, that won’t go well!
My Air 2S just remains in the air until the critically low battery warning then lands. I even tested it by leaving it in a hover about 60 yards from home point and up about 180 feet with over 50% battery. It stayed in hover down to about 3% battery then landed. Is there a setting for RTH at a certain battery level?

...Air 2s ... put it in hover about 60 yards away at 85 feet AGL with 50% battery and left it there to see if it would RTH when the battery got low. It just ran it down to about 3% and landed. Is there a setting I can reset?
No, you don't have any setting for the proposed low battery RTH. Share the flight log from this experiment so we can confirm what actually happened.

In other MA2s logs we usually see a "grace" distance from the HP of around 40ft where the low battery RTH percentage threshold jumps from 0% to 17%.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest