DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Auto or manual focusing

Nickyb65

Reactions
Hi,

Would it be better to manual focus the drone for both video and still images, when they are some distance, say 6 ft away or more?

Would be interest to hear what other pilots use?

thanks

Thumbswayup

the hyperfocal distance is 22feet so manual focusing might be very useful. You can use the red indicators to see what is actually in focus. I forget the term that is used but it's in the three dot menu under Camera.

Reactions: Nickyb65
the hyperfocal distance is 22feet so manual focusing might be very useful. You can use the red indicators to see what is actually in focus. I forget the term that is used but it's in the three dot menu under Camera.
Is it called 'peaking threshold' maybe?

I've had several clips ruing by the camera hunting for focus using Auto Focus mode. With that said, is the best technique to use AF to select the closest spot in the frame and then with to Manual Focus mode to capture the flight/clip?

I've had several clips ruing by the camera hunting for focus using Auto Focus mode. With that said, is the best technique to use AF to select the closest spot in the frame and then with to Manual Focus mode to capture the flight/clip?
No firm answer for this problem. It depends on what you're filming. If everything is decently far, say 50 feet or more, you could do what you suggest. If you're flying through a forest road, though, where the distance varies a lot, you probably best stick with auto focus.

The "hyperfocal distance" is that focus point that just barely includes infinity. It's a good search term.

With that setting, on the Mini 3 lens I think you're good to twenty feet or so. Somebody else will know this setting for the Mini 3.

Hyperfocal Distance depends on what lens you're using and what aperture it's set to. (not relevant in many drones, since the aperture is fixed)

Reactions: Nickyb65
The "hyperfocal distance" is that focus point that just barely includes infinity. It's a good search term.

With that setting, on the Mini 3 lens I think you're good to twenty feet or so. Somebody else will know this setting for the Mini 3.

Hyperfocal Distance depends on what lens you're using and what aperture it's set to. (not relevant in many drones, since the aperture is fixed)
thanks for the info.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa