DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Auto Takeoff Newbie question

r1chardturner

Reactions
Newbie Question, after updating my firmware, when I select Auto Takeoff, the Mavick now goes to 6m high and not the 1.2-1.8 it used to before I updated??

Have I done something wrong??

Thanks in advance

Richard

You probably ticked the "precision" box. In that mode it'll go higher so the sensors can record what the landing area looks like so on a RTH it can land far more accurately (typically within a few inches rather than 10s of feet).
You can also take off manually and climb to 30ft without moving laterally to accomplish the same thing.

Its worth doing to have a more accurate landing area, especially if you have obstacles nearby.

Thanks for the info.... at the risk of sounding daft.... do you know which menu that would be in? And do I need to connect the Mavick to access it? [emoji51]

When you select auto take off theres a small tick box above the slider. If its ticked it'll do a 20ft climb for precision data. If its unticked it wont.
(Or just do manual takeoffs).

Reactions: r1chardturner
Do manual takeoff and put it where you want it everytime. Auto takeoff/land is for droolers IMO.

Do manual takeoff and put it where you want it everytime. Auto takeoff/land is for droolers IMO.

Really? Does it make you feel all so skillful holding a lever up for a few seconds instead of swiping on a screen?
Give your ego a massive boost moving a little joystick and holding a lever down to land somewhere? Perhaps with the top gun music somewhere in the background to add ambience?

We're not piloting a 747 here. Its a simple, highly automated radio controlled toy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, and yes I've been [emoji736] ticking that box... explains it now... ....

I do manual take offs too... but find it easy auto take off so I can set the camera settings to weather conditions..[emoji4]

Yep that updated option undocumented put a lot of owners in dangerous situation when take off under trees....

Reactions: VortexSpin
because nowhere dji stated clearly when modified the apk that the check mark will rise drone at much more height and some of users just take off like before under some things :)

Remember there are no Obstacle Avoidance sensors on top of MP. So if RTH initiates it will climb to the set height before coming back.
A number of users have found to their dismay that they are under trees when this happens.

yep another thing is that smart battery low voltage return to home...one I was walking thru a park controlling the drone around me an just when I wanted to land it in hand...vjjjjj took off fast just before touching my palm :)) was initiated rth to the take off position because has estimate that the battery remaining was sufficient just for that :)

Newbie Question, after updating my firmware, when I select Auto Takeoff, the Mavick now goes to 6m high and not the 1.2-1.8 it used to before I updated??

Have I done something wrong??

Thanks in advance

Richard

* better to do a manual take off as setting the cameras usually would take too long imo. Not sure if it's just me but I do find joy especially on take off seeing and controlling the drone's lift off from the ground :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3