DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autofocus issue mini 3 pro

T1omsmae

Reactions
I have just bought a mini 3 pro and new to drone flying. I am a bit concerned that i have a sensor alignment issue as i have noticed some problems with the autofocus. A lot of my images and video have a soft/blurred focus on the right hand side of the image, when i tap focus on this side it focuses properly but blurring appears on the left. I expect focus loss on the corners but not all along one side. All firmware is up to date and i have reset camera paremeters and gimbal. Am i doing something wrong or being too ocd with this?
Check our this test video, when i pan up the right side is blurring, left side is fine. No focus tap. Might be best to view in 4k to clearly see the issue.
Loom forward to feedback.

Not uncommon. It's a f/1.7 lens so edge/corner sharpness is going to be pretty poor.
Most small sensor drones have this issue.

The focus went to the dark hole, very tough for it to nail that.

A different starting point would have been better than the focus down into it might have worked.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

Wow..is it just me....or is anyone else not seeing the blurring that the OP is asking about?

I have looked at the video three times, but cannot see any blurring.
I can see it in 4K. The cars on the left hand side are razor sharp, while the right hand side is significantly soft. I agree with others that the lens must not be perfectly perpendicular.

Very clearly visible here… doesn't look like an autofocus issue but instead either something off with the optics or the sensor alignment, I'd be in touch with DJI support about this.

Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 9.53.18.png

Reactions: T1omsmae
Thank you all for your replies, tbh the video isn't the best example of it. I have sent clearer examples to DJI support so I will see what they have to say. I have seen a few people share their images from the mini 3 and they are a lot sharper throughout the frame than mine. I think I will return it this week, can sensor alignment be knocked out during shipping or is this more likely a quality control issue?

Very clearly visible here… doesn't look like an autofocus issue but instead either something off with the optics or the sensor alignment, I'd be in touch with DJI support about this.
These soft corners/spots have been plaguing me with my 1st M2P ...
f1.7 is indeed quite open but yet it needs to be consistent, otherwise the optics or the sensor alignments have some misalignment, as said. Not sure what "tolerance" DJI sets buuuuut, they often would say, it's fine.

Here is a better example, almost half of the right hand side is soft/blurred, the left hand side is sharp and in focus. This is with autofocus enabled, I didn't focus tap on the screen.
Untitled-1.jpg

Reactions: Starz
Curious as to how you got yours so fast. I know YouTubers got some pre-release. I ordered day 1 and don't expect it till July.

Curious as to how you got yours so fast. I know YouTubers got some pre-release. I ordered day 1 and don't expect it till July.
They're out already here in Europe for a while now. Seems to be a delay in the US.

I live in the UK and pre ordered with DJI. I also ordered with the standard controller and no additional batteries, when I added the fly more kit or new controller it pushed delivery back until mid June.

Update - I have returned the drone to DJI for Refund, ordered another from Wex which arrived today and the camera is significantly better, full focus across the frame and sharper straight out the box. Must have been misaligned the other one. Thanks for your advice.

So happy to hear this and probably explains why some earlier stills I have seen were dreadful in one part of the image really put me off going there but your result gives me confidence as some stills I have seen have been superb. Mental note when my drone arrives thoroughly review camera and if not clear across frame return! Good result!

Not uncommon. It's a f/1.7 lens so edge/corner sharpness is going to be pretty poor.
Most small sensor drones have this issue.
This case highlights how you have to be careful what you say on this forum. A first time pilot or someone valuing commentary from experienced users on this forum might read this reply and think "Oh it is what it is and just live with it" when clearly it was an issue with the lens that has been rectified by return. I think this is something we could all learn from including myself.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
However what i said is totally true.
Every single one of these exhibits softness around the edges and corners. Its an unavoidable consequence on the sensor/lens combination.

It may have been a faulty produce (it happens) or maybe placebo at work. But whichever it is, you're not ever going to get edges as sharp as the centre.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803