DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AutoFocus Issues - random blurred video

Ian in London

Reactions
Hi all

All too frequently I'm downloading video from the SD card only to find an entire clip out of focus. I have AF on, so as I understand it, the Pro 2 should have everything in focus, but this doesn't seem to be the case.
I filmed two clips today; same flight and hadn't touched the camera settings at all. I just happened to make the same flight twice. One was blurred; one crystal clear.

It's not just the fast movement and close up subjects; I also had a few clips in Iceland that were totally blurred despite starting to record when up high and moving slowly.
Any ideas or suggestions? I occasionally tap the screen to autofocus, but if I forget, I get blurred videos which doesn't seem right.
Thanks
Ian
All raw unedited 4K clips below:
Blurred (but focuses right at the last 3 seconds!):

Clear:

Blurred Iceland:

Last edited:
Hi all

All too frequently I'm downloading video from the SD card only to find an entire clip out of focus. I have AF on, so as I understand it, the Pro 2 should have everything in focus, but this doesn't seem to be the case.
I filmed two clips today; same flight and hadn't touched the camera settings at all. I just happened to make the same flight twice. One was blurred; one crystal clear.

It's not just the fast movement and close up subjects; I also had a few clips in Iceland that were totally blurred despite starting to record when up high and moving slowly.
Any ideas or suggestions? I occasionally tap the screen to autofocus, but if I forget, I get blurred videos which doesn't seem right.
Thanks
Ian

Clear:

Blurred Iceland:

It auto focuses but you have to set whEre you want the focus to be by tapping the screen or pressing C2 (right trigger button).

Typically you want to set the focus on the closest object you want in focus and then your aperture will determine how far the focus will extend into the frame.

Alternatively, you can tap to focus on an object at least 50m away and then switch to manual focus and you will lock in infinity focus so that everything will be mostly in focus. This isn’t always as sharp as setting the focus with the first method.

Reactions: Ian in London
I had a similar confusion. There is autofocus (AF) and autofocus continuous (AFC). With the first one you need to touch the screen (or button) to focus and the second one is fully automatic.

I had a similar confusion. There is autofocus (AF) and autofocus continuous (AFC). With the first one you need to touch the screen (or button) to focus and the second one is fully automatic.
Thanks Breet& Ken.

Ken, looks like I was expecting it to be on AFC then but it was only showing the AF option. I'll have a hunt around in the settings.

Thanks for the pointers.
Ian

Hi all

Thanks
Ian

Clear:

Blurred Iceland:
Well, Iceland landscapes are so amazing.

FWIW, I was never happy with either AF mode right from the gitgo and once I learned how to use MF properly, I have never re-enabled AF. Manual is IMHO, the only way to go for video recording.

FWIW, I was never happy with either AF mode right from the gitgo and once I learned how to use MF properly, I have never re-enabled AF. Manual is IMHO, the only way to go for video recording.
Yes. Agree, but the trouble is when you forget to press that focus...
Ian

..but the trouble is when you forget to press that focus...

No doubt every one of us has been there, Wellsi, I'm pretty sure of that. <smile> That's one of the reasons I always use Focus Peaking. If I don't see the red leading edges, it jars my brain to manually focus.

No doubt every one of us has been there, Wellsi, I'm pretty sure of that. <smile> That's one of the reasons I always use Focus Peaking. If I don't see the red leading edges, it jars my brain to manually focus.
What is Focus Peaking? Is that a setting?

Dog: For me, the red edges are comforting since I know focus is correct. I found that if you use the highest setting, the red is fairly minimal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada