DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Automated authorization coming soon"

coneslayer

Reactions
My local airport with Class D airspace does not currently support LAANC. In AirMap, the message shown is "Automated authorization coming soon at or below 400 ft."

Does that "coming soon" imply anything specific about the timetable for implementation? Is there some kind of master schedule with expected dates of implementation?

I'm guessing that your local airport is part of the FAA Contract Tower Program and not manned by FAA personnel, these airports are apparently the last in line to implement automated authorization. We have a couple airports in the Phoenix area that show the same message (and have since I started flying commercially last year). I had to file for blanket authorization at the FAA Drone Zone so we could operate in those airspaces for commercial work. I'm not aware of any implementation schedule for these airports.

I'm guessing that your local airport is part of the FAA Contract Tower Program and not manned by FAA personnel, these airports are apparently the last in line to implement automated authorization.

Thanks, but it is not on this list (JST-Johnstown/Cambria County) so I don't think it's in the Contract Tower Program. It's also not in the list you linked to.

Thanks, but it is not on this list (JST-Johnstown/Cambria County) so I don't think it's in the Contract Tower Program. It's also not in the list you linked to.

OK, still no schedule that I’m aware of for LAANC implementation, a blanket authorization is what you need for that airspace

My local airport with Class D airspace does not currently support LAANC. In AirMap, the message shown is "Automated authorization coming soon at or below 400 ft."

Does that "coming soon" imply anything specific about the timetable for implementation? Is there some kind of master schedule with expected dates of implementation?

The coming soon language means nothing. I have airports near me that have said that for about 2 years now.

I forgot to add, you can likely apply for a wide area airspace authorization up to the facility map altitudes via the FAA DroneZone for that specific airport's controlled airspace. You can get authorizations that last up to 2 years that way.

Reactions: coneslayer
I forgot to add, you can likely apply for a wide area airspace authorization up to the facility map altitudes via the FAA DroneZone for that specific airport's controlled airspace. You can get authorizations that last up to 2 years that way.

This might be your best bet. It looks like the area around Mineral Point is all 400 ft. in AirMap. I live in Johnstown but do most of my flying at my sister-in-law's place near Bolivar. No restricted airspace for miles around. The scenery is much nicer as well, woods, fields, ponds, and the river.

I'm a recreational flyer, and my home is outside the controlled airspace, so there isn't one specific part of the airspace I'm interested in... my flights inside the controlled airspace would be very ad hoc. Is it worth applying for an authorization over the whole airspace (below the altitudes on the map of course)? Is that kind of request likely to be approved? Or do they need a more specific time/place/purpose? The application form looks pretty specific as to the plan and intent.

I'm a recreational flyer, and my home is outside the controlled airspace, so there isn't one specific part of the airspace I'm interested in... my flights inside the controlled airspace would be very ad hoc. Is it worth applying for an authorization over the whole airspace (below the altitudes on the map of course)? Is that kind of request likely to be approved? Or do they need a more specific time/place/purpose? The application form looks pretty specific as to the plan and intent.

You certainly can apply for what is known as a "wide area" long-term authorization that covers the entire airspace (up to the approved altitudes in each square on the facility map). I currently hold two such authorizations for different class D airspaces, even though I don't live in either, and only fly in those locations a couple of times a year.

For the location coordinates, just pick the center of the airport that defines the airspace (check AirNav.com for those coordinates), and then check the "Wide-area" box, and write in your description that you are seeking a wide-area authorization for the entire airspace up to the facility map altitudes. All my similar requests have gone through without any difficulty.

Reactions: coneslayer
@dawgpilot @KennyJr @azmikew Based on your advice, I applied for authorization this morning, and within a couple of hours I got approval for the whole airspace through the end of 2021. Thank you so much!

Also, the authorization states "Non-FAA contract tower" so @azmikew nailed it, even though it wasn't in the list I found for some reason.

1591721056450.png

@dawgpilot @KennyJr @azmikew Based on your advice, I applied for authorization this morning, and within a couple of hours I got approval for the whole airspace through the end of 2021. Thank you so much!

Also, the authorization states "Non-FAA contract tower" so @azmikew nailed it, even though it wasn't in the list I found for some reason.

View attachment 104185
Nice, I’ve received a few of these blanket authorizations for airports that are contract towers, but never that quickly!

When I applied I only wanted a specific area and they sent me authorization for the entire area up to the facility map limits. All I was interested in was a couple of spots downtown.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys