DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autopilot follow me issue

00Nic

Reactions
Hi all,
today I tested for the first time Autopilot app with follow me mode for chasing my car.
I set the bearing reference to "Course" to let the drone follow me along the path.
I expected that the position of the drone with respect to the car were more "stable" but instead, the drone kept changing the position and the distance with a weird behavior.
Can It be related to the movement of the remote controller in my hand (I was the passenger) while I was trying to keep the visual contact? Anyone experienced this problem before?

Here is the video of the test

OK, it is all in the settings.
First, try it at a small grass field and walk with the Mavic a little closer to you
Then, try to change "Course" in to "Absolute".
Also, set level to "Intermediate". There you have the option on what "bearing angle" the Mavic should follow you (North, East, South or West)
When you start your mission, wait and see what the Mavic is doing. If it is starting to circle and stops at a curtain angle, that is your heading.
This is something you need to play with to understand.
Please note that you basically can program Autopilot to do anything in any mode.
So, if you choose follow mode while the settings are in "orbit", the drone will be orbit on the leader (which is you) but due to the fact that you are moving, the Mavic will circle while you drive (moving operator)
This is a steep learning curve but when you got it, it is limitless.
Take it one step at the time.
First walk a straight line and see what the Mavic is doing, change some settings and check for the result.
That is the easiest way to learn. That's is what I have done. And I'm still experimenting with this

Good luck and if any more questions... let me know

Btw, I like your footage (and environment)

Reactions: 00Nic
Awesome footage ;) Really thank you for your time and kindness. I will try all the settings you suggested. Thumbswayup

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
IPhone 6S Plus (iOS 11) or iPad Pro for missions

Ok I haven't tried AP yet since I use an a IPad mini 4 LTE and the people from autopilot said that the device is included on the legacy devices and the performance is not as well as the most recent devices.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty