DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Average video processing time?

R1Mavic

Reactions
On MacBook Pro (2019, 16gb), it is taking nearly 3 hours to process a five minute video in h.265 10 bit.
What kind of times are you seeing on similar hardware?
Using Resolve 15 Studio

I have a Dell desktop with a Core i7, 3.6Ghz six-core processor, 24GB of RAM and an NVIDIA GTX 1050i graphics card. H.265 video renders in slightly longer than real time. A 5-minute video renders in about 7 minutes if I’m applying color grading. This is with Premiere Pro.

A good graphics card makes a big difference. Mine is fairly entry level for this sort of thing but still makes a significant improvement.

Reactions: Prophet
There is something causing a bottleneck on your system ...

On my Macbook Pro, (2018, 16GB) the renderspeed is around the length of the footage. Input codec is H.265/10, with different (customer dependent) output codec. Done with FCPX.

I've a 2016 MacBook Pro w/ Resolve 15. Mine takes between 2x and 3x run time depending on what I'm doing. You're using only the internal SSD? No external drives? Any other apps or phantom processes running? Maybe try shutting down all of your apps, reboot, and then open only Resolve.

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 9.01.58 PM.png

Reactions: Thomas B
Usually about half or less of the run time of the video. I'm running an i9processor with plenty space and a good graphics card. Uploading to youtube or any where else is my issue because my internet SUX!

it is taking nearly 3 hours to process a five minute video in h.265 10 bit.

R1: As you have no doubt realized, the rendering time of your chosen video editing software is directly dependent on your computer's hardware. Specifically, processor, graphics card, and available memory. Unfortunately, with a notebook, be it PC or Mac, there isn't a whole lot you can do to improve the performance.

I too have an Intel i9 processor as one of the other posters mentioned and my render times are consistent with his, usually a little over half the final run time.

Reactions: R1Mavic
"Unfortunately, with a notebook, be it PC or Mac, there isn't a whole lot you can do to improve the performance."

Absolutely false statement in this case. 3 hrs for 5 mins run time? Unless OP is doing some quite intricate work that takes extra long to render then there should be a lot they can do to improve their performance. I have an older version of their machine and as I posted above a typical 5 min render would rarely go beyond 15 minutes.

Reactions: Prophet
Robotic: What I meant was, there is usually nothing that can be done with a notebook hardware-wise to improve performance other than perhaps adding memory. As for the three hours, I agree, something else is going on software-wise.

Reactions: RoboticTundra
Three hours? That's an eternity for a 5 min video to process. You either have something faulty in your hardware or you have something creating a massive log jam in your system. Even on an older Windows laptop (HDD, 8gb ram, slow processor, onboard graphics card etc.... pretty much horrible specs) we can process 2min of video in about 12mins. Granted those 12 minutes seem like 5 hours... LOL

Are you using an external Hard Drive by any chance? That would create a log jam but honestly I don't think it would create one to THAT degree. I think you definitely need to look into your system and see what's happening in there.

MacBook Pro has vents on the bottom/back edge, I found if I use mine on my lap then these dont let the heat out well, let it cool down and do the same on a table and its fine. Just a thought.

That's interesting. I work in my lap frequently and have never noticed a slowdown but seems plausible. It seems you'd almost need to have a blanket or something on your lap to fold up to block those vents though.

Reactions: BigAl07
That's interesting. I work in my lap frequently and have never noticed a slowdown but seems plausible. It seems you'd almost need to have a blanket or something on your lap to fold up to block those vents though.

I use a "lap cooler" which not only helps the laptop stay cool my lap also stays cool. It's merely a vented barrier between the laptop and my lap. Mine has a cooling fan built in but I don't use it.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-LapAir-R9-NBC-LPAR-GP/dp/B0051GK6RA

B0051GK6RA_5.jpg

My laptop (as noted above is old) does slow down if it gets VERY hot but I took it apart a few months ago and the channels for bringing cool air in were mostly filled with "fuzz" and stuff. I cleaned them out (canned air) and it made a world of difference.

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots