DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Awsome flight on Mavic 2 with Dashware Telemetry interface

Rockowe

Reactions
So much More enjoyment - when watching a Flying video - and you know what the Pilot was up to - or how he got those effects-...

Dashware is NOT user friendly - and all references to it seem to be scattered far and wide.
But if you get INTO it - .. it can use your logs - in an awesome way -
Created some cool gauges too -
see the Pitch and Roll Mavics-
Also the Camera Gimbal Pitch-
… Just finished a Joystick Guage (Rudimentary I know)

(Yeah I know the co-ordinates are not both showing up - but that's by design - for this one)

Enjoy -

Very interesting.

This was a continuous flight. Does it take a lot of manual setup or configuration. In other words, if you used segments of video, how would you sync it up? Probably not the real place for a tutorial but I used my Osmo action camera the other day and filmed segments of a bike ride. At the same time, I did capture the gpx file of the entire bike ride. So I have data but I'm not sure if it is useful. In other words, admittedly, I'm lost!

But, again, thanks for sharing your outcome.

Very interesting.

This was a continuous flight. Does it take a lot of manual setup or configuration. In other words, if you used segments of video, how would you sync it up? Probably not the real place for a tutorial but I used my Osmo action camera the other day and filmed segments of a bike ride. At the same time, I did capture the gpx file of the entire bike ride. So I have data but I'm not sure if it is useful. In other words, admittedly, I'm lost!

But, again, thanks for sharing your outcome.
Hi ff22,
Having no documentation - I needed to Crashcourse the software in a Cut and Try way - Steep learning curve that got easier and easier as time went on.

SO heres what I learnt (the hard way) - to create VIDEOS with Live Telemetry in Dashware
---- lets assume you know very little about loggers -
* all loggers (GPS and drones etc) collect between 1 and ~15 Samples of data per second- There are up to 100's of types of Data collected (ie Latitude, speed, distance)

* These files are stored in different ways, DJI may use .Txt or csv - Litchi likes csv, older GPS devices may use gpx - etc.
Most of these files can be viewed in spreadsheets like Excel with the Titles on the top - and the data, seperated by commas, on each line below
Each line below the heading is a Unit of time.

* each type of column of info is given a Unique Name for that column of data - depending on the device (eg for 'Height above Ground' on one device - may be called ALT [above Takeoff] ) on another.

* These columns of data are collected from various sensors on the vehicle ie barometer, GPS, compass, speed gauges or spinners etc - at say 15x per second

* Dashware uses this stream of numbers to create certain effects on each GUAGE that is used- Lets say a BAR Guage for Altitude will show a Blue 10cm BAR, for 100m height and if the drone is at 12m alt then it will show 1,2cm- Lets Call this Gauge 'ALT-BAR'

The idea is to synchronize the Entire trip of say 20 minutes - (of Video) with the SAME 20 minutes of DATA collected (recorded 15x lines per second)
Don't worry too much about this concept - Dashware does it very well !
Dashware will do the synchronizing as long as you present it with start and end points of the Video - which visually looks like the start and end points of the data.

OKAY - so heres the tricky Part (at first)
---------------------------------------------------------------
As we said above - each file from a different device calls its data by different names. So the trick is to Look for the 'right' column in the logger file - which will match the same DATA for the right (dashware) gauge.
In our 'ALT-BAR' (gauge) above, we clearly need a height in meters above something- You need to see what these are called -
A drone for example collects:
a) Height above sea level (in m or ft )
b) Height above ground (in m or Ft )
c) Height above takeoff (in M or ft ) etc

Your Job Now - is to reference the GUAGE input - to the Logger's correct column Heading - per each guage. Sometimes a Gauge can have 2-4 inputs (like ALT, Distance and Heading) - to show multiple changes in one gauge.

That's (in essence) the story.

Heres the cool Part - (Wait for It)
Once the hard work has been done … and set up for your environment - ...
… then its done for all future flights and videos to be used again and again.
ie
- The video size (you often work on)
- The Telemetry you want to see - used in the Multip[le Gauges -
- the File type (DJI Go4 or Litchi -= has different file types - but you can standardize them with Airdata UAV download of a CSV )

===========

So in answer to your Question - Is it easy to setup - the Answer is a resounding NO !
However once set up - Like a Computer program - … Its INSTANTLY available for Future - for your setup. So that answer is YESSSSS ! - for reusing the setup on future missions (Very Easy)

Also if ur creative you can MAKE amazing Gauges of your Own - with some Thought-

75856The Above Pic(s) SHow(s) JOYSTICK Telemetry-, Pitch and Roll telemetry with my MAVIC Pictures tilting...
The Angle of the Camera - with an EYE pointing either to the ground - through various degrees to 30deg above...

-
FINALLY you can just EXPORT your VIDEO with the overlays of Guages- or alternatively you can export a background of BLUE or GREEN behind your gauges instead of video - which will create a GREEN Screen Alpha type Video to import with your Original Footage - into your favourite editor (then just Green screen (chromakey) out the background for transparency-

--- PS the more I typed the more I realised that you should have some computer background to do all this- but nothing too hard for the Drone Pilots who read these pages … !

ANyway hope this helps - Iv had fun playing with it -

Reactions: ff22
Hi ff22,
Having no documentation - I needed to Crashcourse the software in a Cut and Try way - Steep learning curve that got easier and easier as time went on.

SO heres what I learnt (the hard way) - to create VIDEOS with Live Telemetry in Dashware
---- lets assume you know very little about loggers -
* all loggers (GPS and drones etc) collect between 1 and ~15 Samples of data per second- There are up to 100's of types of Data collected (ie Latitude, speed, distance)

* These files are stored in different ways, DJI may use .Txt or csv - Litchi likes csv, older GPS devices may use gpx - etc.
Most of these files can be viewed in spreadsheets like Excel with the Titles on the top - and the data, seperated by commas, on each line below
Each line below the heading is a Unit of time.

* each type of column of info is given a Unique Name for that column of data - depending on the device (eg for 'Height above Ground' on one device - may be called ALT [above Takeoff] ) on another.

* These columns of data are collected from various sensors on the vehicle ie barometer, GPS, compass, speed gauges or spinners etc - at say 15x per second

* Dashware uses this stream of numbers to create certain effects on each GUAGE that is used- Lets say a BAR Guage for Altitude will show a Blue 10cm BAR, for 100m height and if the drone is at 12m alt then it will show 1,2cm- Lets Call this Gauge 'ALT-BAR'

The idea is to synchronize the Entire trip of say 20 minutes - (of Video) with the SAME 20 minutes of DATA collected (recorded 15x lines per second)
Don't worry too much about this concept - Dashware does it very well !
Dashware will do the synchronizing as long as you present it with start and end points of the Video - which visually looks like the start and end points of the data.

View attachment 75855

OKAY - so heres the tricky Part (at first)
---------------------------------------------------------------
As we said above - each file from a different device calls its data by different names. So the trick is to Look for the 'right' column in the logger file - which will match the same DATA for the right (dashware) gauge.
In our 'ALT-BAR' (gauge) above, we clearly need a height in meters above something- You need to see what these are called -
A drone for example collects:
a) Height above sea level (in m or ft )
b) Height above ground (in m or Ft )
c) Height above takeoff (in M or ft ) etc

Your Job Now - is to reference the GUAGE input - to the Logger's correct column Heading - per each guage. Sometimes a Gauge can have 2-4 inputs (like ALT, Distance and Heading) - to show multiple changes in one gauge.

That's (in essence) the story.

Heres the cool Part - (Wait for It)
Once the hard work has been done … and set up for your environment - ...
… then its done for all future flights and videos to be used again and again.
ie
- The video size (you often work on)
- The Telemetry you want to see - used in the Multip[le Gauges -
- the File type (DJI Go4 or Litchi -= has different file types - but you can standardize them with Airdata UAV download of a CSV )

===========

So in answer to your Question - Is it easy to setup - the Answer is a resounding NO !
However once set up - Like a Computer program - … Its INSTANTLY available for Future - for your setup. So that answer is YESSSSS ! - for reusing the setup on future missions (Very Easy)

Also if ur creative you can MAKE amazing Gauges of your Own - with some Thought-

View attachment 75854

View attachment 75856The Above Pic(s) SHow(s) JOYSTICK Telemetry-, Pitch and Roll telemetry with my MAVIC Pictures tilting...
The Angle of the Camera - with an EYE pointing either to the ground - through various degrees to 30deg above...

-
FINALLY you can just EXPORT your VIDEO with the overlays of Guages- or alternatively you can export a background of BLUE or GREEN behind your gauges instead of video - which will create a GREEN Screen Alpha type Video to import with your Original Footage - into your favourite editor (then just Green screen (chromakey) out the background for transparency-

--- PS the more I typed the more I realised that you should have some computer background to do all this- but nothing too hard for the Drone Pilots who read these pages … !

ANyway hope this helps - Iv had fun playing with it -

OKAY - what a fantastic intro and MORE to this program. Thanks for the extensive elaboration. Gives me and idea of what's involved. In a land far far away in a time I've forgotten I was a computer programmer. So I have a grasp of csv files and spreadsheets and pulling data from same. If you need any long forgotten cobol help - don't call me! If you don't know what cobol is, you are far younger than me (g)

Haha
Don't Scare me -
I DO know what COBOL is - also fortran, PL1 etc
… so our ages must be kinda there... (Smiling) -

So you get the Background -
This lil Toy - is made exactly for those test and probe tinkerers...
Its not for the faint hearted - … or the One clickers ! -
More Low Level -... but very creative -
I May have given some more building blocks - tho...

Problem is that there are so many devices and Loggers-
It would be awesome - if somehow it could give LIVE telemetry - so that an App could record on the 'fly' (no pun intended)

ANyway nice reply thanks

ANyway herewith are my LIVE Joystick Guages I created - and two more on the right - … With the All seeing GIMBAL Eye on the Left -

BTW the BLUE Block on the Speedo is supposed to be the Viewing direction of the Camera - … which is Offset from the direction of the craft … (if you Physically move the Camera BY FINGER swiping it- that direc tion will show up)

The Mavic 2 Zoom Drone images ARE ALSO GAUGES + are a representation of *ROLL* on the Left -
and the one on the right Pitches forward (leftish) when Accelerating forward - and Pitches Back when Backwards- at the angles shown

Finally Look at the JOYSTICKS- during Pans and Turns … and it will explain the SIde Swiping and lateral flypast - "Views"-

Enjoy....

… and now the one shot at sunset today - …
This took literally 3 minutes to import … and Mix - … and 20 mins to Upload and Show you - SO the Guages WORk perfectly - for all different flights - (Excuse the NON Choice of New Music)...

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
I only wish I was 48! Add 30 and subtract half a dozen! I will study those videos and hope for rain!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada