DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad Apple?

Starz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
As humans, perfection may not be possible. As drone pilots, probably a similar answer.
As fixed wing pilots, also a similar answer. We learn from our mistakes on a daily basis and hopefully not create an issue that is burned into a memory that lasts forever. The one of you and your partner starting a life, or the first time you see one of your kids are probably the best. The one that we want to avoid is the one that stems from a bad decision that could haunt you the rest of your(and others)life.
An incident on Friday morning that I’ll think about for longer than I would like.
Flying my 13.5 pound DJI drone at 325 feet AGL. Stationary just taking some pictures.
I hear what I believe to be a plane heading my way but, looking for it, I can’t see it.
The next thing I see is this low wing v-tail flying by at about 100 feet below my AGL.
Near miss? Don’t know, I’m not the aeronautical expert in these instances.

Please guys and gals, think about what you do and not create unhappy memories.
It only takes a second to think past what we do to be safe.

Just curious, do they have height restrictions?
Depending on the area where the flights occurred it could be 1000' AGL, 500' AGL or no restrictions.

The low wing was over a populated area(Rainbow lake, Sholow,Az)and as a minimum he should have been at 500 AGL. My intent for visiting the airport
(no tower) was to see if I could find the culprit and at least let him know that there are other flying objects besides him(or her)where he enjoys his sport. No aircraft visible that matched what I saw, but lots of hangers that I could not access. There is someone there that monitors traffic and that individual mentioned that he was pretty sure he knew who this person was.
I asked him if he would please inform that person of his not so safe operation of an aircraft. I offered my contact info which was declined and left.
My only intent by that visit was for the safety aspect of all involved.
After the incident itself, I felt very blessed that I was not involved with
the FAA at a crash site.
The drone could easily be replaced, but not so much the other pilot.
I can only hope he got the message and revises his thinking.

Reactions: iaincaradoc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S