DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad battery and gimbal overload?

Rain_Man

Reactions
I got my Mavic Air two weeks ago. Flew it a couple of times and everything went great. I now seem to be having some battery issues. Problem 1- I decided I wanted to get some early morning winter shots. It was about 12F (I know know not rated to fly in this cold) I had the battery inside and and it was warm when I started the flight. I was flying for about 6 minutes and it was going great, the battery was at 50% and I was currently flying over a frozen lake. All of a sudden the battery dropped to 0% and it started to land. I was able to take control and fly it back with 0%.. luckily I was able to take back control and the lake was frozen. I never got a cold battery error or anything. I let the battery sit for a while, after about 20 minutes it was back to 30%. I blamed this on the fact I flew it in the cold, but I have seen a lot of people flying the air in below 0? Issue 2: 3 days later I was at a friends and he wanted to see the drone. Hooked up a battery and started to fly, I instantly noticed the battery percentage was draining extremely fast (about 1% every 15 seconds). My estimated flight time in Go 4 was 4 minutes. Odd.. so I flew it quick to show him and the battery was down to about 30%. I landed and let the battery sit for 10 minutes, hooked it back up and it was at 70%?! Issue 3 - Had the same issue as above a couple of days later, but while this was happening I was getting a gimbal overload error? If I set the drone down and moved it with my hand the gimbal seemed to work some of the time. While flying it would randomly get stuck and was not able to move. After this issue I landed and swapped batteries, the gimbal seemed to work as expected. With issue 1 I am not sure if I was using the fast drain battery, the second and third was using the same battery.
I am trying to figure out if the gimbal issue was from the battery or an issue by itself? I contacted dji and they said I can send it back for observation and possible repair. Do you guys think I should send everything or just that battery? I have done a couple of flights and the gimbal seems to be functioning normally without that battery. I have not flown with that one. I am scared with this battery issue to fly my drone over the water. It’s spring and I want to get some awesome water shots but I don’t want to lose it. It it possible to always take back control on an emergency landing????

Sounds screwy. To me, 0% means there is no power so you shouldn't be able to fly at all. Does the odd battery need a firmware update? Does Go 4 show the three battery cells at an even charge?

You state that you got it two weeks ago, perhaps the battery performance will improve after a few charge/discharge cycles.

I would mark your batteries do some close-in, low-level comparison tests. If one battery causes the problems and the other does not, then file a claim with DJI (or whoever you bought it from) to get it replaced. They will tell you what you need to send.

I have a MP so cannot comment on your flying time. Rechargeable batteries will recover some juice at rest but from 30 to 70% seems excessive. One possible explanation is that while it sat for 10 minutes it had a chance to warm up.

I'm finished rambling now. Perhaps someone with actual Mavic Air experience will chime in. Good luck!

Look at the 3 cell of the defect batt. At the event in dji go in the flight log. Did you see big voltage drop in 1 cell or over load ?

IF YES Dji will probably ask you to send the air and the joystick. No batt.
Dont ask to just exange batt. It's a lost of time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929