DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

bad freind? or am I Bad???

Pyrate

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I was out flying my drone and my Golf Partner / Freind from Jr High School was out on his dock fishing in front of his Millon dollar house. I thought - What a great picture I could give him! So I turned into the sun and the picture didn't look good, so I proceeded to get the sun on the drones back to get a better-lighted picture and - He is running into his house to get a gun and shoot my drone down - Then he leaves me a heated voicemail- I am like WOW, I was just trying to get a good picture to GIVE you! and of course - I didn't take it well- won't say what I told him but. I don't know quite what to feel, it is no difference in someone looking at you from a boat- happens every day. I have no few than 15 cabin owners that want their picture taken.

• Wow
Reactions: Droniac and clackey
Much/most of the world has strong biases against drones.

When shooting someone else's property, even a friends', get permission first. Since you didn't do that, he didn't know who or why, so naturally, he assumed the worst (see above comment about common bias against drones).

Often, when I meet someone with strong bias against drones and they're giving me their spiel on that regard, I find that I am getting ALL OF THE ANTI-DRONE BIAS this person has built up over time, shot at me in a concentrated stream of anger.

And there's nothing you can do about that in the moment. Maybe later, but right there and then, nothing. Certainly, you getting angry back isn't going to make it better.

Chris

Edit: so if we picture this scenario, you knock on his door or give him a jingle, and you ask "Hey, I'm a budding photographer. Can I take a nice picture of your house? I mean, for you? If I you like it enough, you can print it, free, as a friend. It would be from up in the air (I am doing some aerial photography these days) and I just thought you would like a shot of your beautiful property from that cool "in the air" perspective. It would give you the lay of the land. I think it would be great."

You might get a small rise of bias here, but nothing near what you did by simply buzzing over to his property.

PS: he was in the wrong shooting at your drone. In the future, after you're on good terms, maybe you can let him know about liabilities. Yes, even if someone is trespassing (not that you were), he would probably still have to pay for any drone he shot down.

Reactions: BigAl07
My opinion, which is worth less than my photos: If you EVER plan to sell your work for money, start now. Don't give away your work for free unless as a gift celebrating an occasion. Minimally, charge just a little bit.

By the way, every business has to fire a customer eventually, you sure got that out of the way fast!

h
My opinion, which is worth less than my photos: If you EVER plan to sell your work for money, start now. Don't give away your work for free unless as a gift celebrating an occasion. Minimally, charge just a little bit.

By the way, every business has to fire a customer eventually, you sure got that out of the way fast!
FAST and Costly, he has a Realestate Business - Quite large, Guess what- I listed my building with his competitor- $550,000.00 That just cost him a GIANT commission! He will not get his picture taken of his house or him again. BUT- my freinds are FREE;-)

While it was genuinely WRONG for him to shoot down your UAS, put yourself into his perspective.... some random DRONE is obviously tracking you to take your picture... it's not just sort of in your direction but changing positions and in every position pointed "seemingly" (although in this case more than seemingly) directly at you. If you saw a person intentionally taking pictures of you from the ground walking around your dock/deck/yard/home to get your picture from different angles would it also not alarm you?

In this day and age that could be considered a very threatening maneuver and he OVER-reacted in a hostile/protective manner. Yes he was at fault but you also shoulder your fair share for being rude and irresponsible/inconsiderate.

What happens if he brings the seller to the project and still gets HALF of the commission?

A- he knew it was me b. I get my building sold- ;-) sucks to be him- he missed out of the whole commission;-)

If there weren't laws and we could just do what was right without the interference of what's legal...

I wouldn't fly around my friend's property taking photos of him without his permission.

I might shoot down a drone that was flying around my property taking photos of me without my permission.

But the law says the opposite is okay.

I was out flying my drone and my Golf Partner / Freind from Jr High School was out on his dock fishing in front of his Millon dollar house. I thought - What a great picture I could give him! So I turned into the sun and the picture didn't look good, so I proceeded to get the sun on the drones back to get a better-lighted picture and - He is running into his house to get a gun and shoot my drone down - Then he leaves me a heated voicemail- I am like WOW, I was just trying to get a good picture to GIVE you! and of course - I didn't take it well- won't say what I told him but. I don't know quite what to feel, it is no difference in someone looking at you from a boat- happens every day. I have no few than 15 cabin owners that want their picture taken.

Mmm. Part 107 - Intent not recreational?

Either way, how did you know he was ‘running into his house to get a gun and shoot my drone down’? If you thought that then clearly you should have quickly moved elsewhere rather than let the issue escalate.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hate to do this but couldn't resist.

Friend is spelled F-R-I-E-N-D, not freind. At first I thought it was a typo but you repeated it again in another post.

Hate to do this but couldn't resist.

Friend is spelled F-R-I-E-N-D, not freind. At first I thought it was a typo but you repeated it again in another post.
Whoo, there, their, thier Dale, if we try to correct every misspelled word on this foruuum, we would be here all day. Ha Ha.

Reactions: gope_73
Whoo, there, their, thier Dale, if we try to correct every misspelled word on this foruuum, we would be here all day. Ha Ha.
It's there, their, they're. If you're going to be snarky about grammar, do it correctly!

It's there, their, they're. If you're going to be snarky about grammar, do it correctly!
Funny but I actually I expected this push back. That's why I preceded my comment, "Hate to say this..."

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Friend or foe, often a drone on the scene will demonstrate the true person :)

Mmm. Part 107 - Intent not recreational?

Either way, how did you know he was ‘running into his house to get a gun and shoot my drone down’? If you thought that then clearly you should have quickly moved elsewhere rather than let the issue escalate.
I found out when he called me. I had flown away and I was never over his property, Now I have several pictures to take of his next-door neighbors.

All good- I have a sense of humor- if you couldn’t tell! I been legally def since grade school - in high tones! So my spelling has always sucked - AND getting worse in my old age and FAT fingers;-)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ