DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad video frequency after half a mile away

looopson

Reactions
So far, the furthest I've flown my drown in distance is about 2,500 ft, nearly half a mile. Once I reach that point, I've noticed I start to lose video reception a little bit. It goes in and out. It has done this multiple times now which is why I haven't flown it any further than 2,500ft away from me, about 350 ft up.

I have made sure to adjust the two antennas on the RC to point up and TOWARDS the drone when it is getting further away from me, still I'm dealing with the bad video reception issue.

Is anyone else having this problem? Overall, I'm disappointed if their claim is that the Mavic has a range of 4.7 miles but after only 0.5 mile, the signal starts to cut out.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Your description of antenna position is rather unclear.
Getting that right is most important but in an area with other buildings or tall trees you won't reliably get much further. You need to have effective clear line of sight to it,
There are some manual adjustments to the radio you can make rather than leave it on auto.
Usually auto is best option though.

I'm worried when you say you point the antenna up at your Mavic, that would be bad. Max radiated energy is off the side of the Antenna at 90degrees.

I have two devices for connection to the RC. One is iPhone 6 and the other is a dated (not so much but not so young...SM-T235) Samsung android tablet. With the first device everythibg is smooth even at 2 km distance. I do not use the second anymore, because the video is lost even at low distance. I suppose it is a problem of cpu performance. Others more expert than me can confirm or not...

When I first take off, I usually raise the Mavic Up 200ft or so. The two antenna sticks are pointed straight up on the RC. Then I'll typically move the Mavic forward and I'll turn the sticks so they are down and pointed towards the Mavic flying away. Is this not how it should be done? I thought this was how the manual had recommended doing it...

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7.... I always run it in airplane mode.

Reactions: TroutboyNZ
Hi Looopson. As a well-known member you are expert. I have being flying a lot, so I also have some experience, even if not so used to this forum. What about downgrading the quality of the video transmitted to your device? 720 instead of 1080? Also the frequency is something configurable...
Samsung Galaxy S7 had to be enough powerful with reference to cpu....

When I first take off, I usually raise the Mavic Up 200ft or so. The two antenna sticks are pointed straight up on the RC. Then I'll typically move the Mavic forward and I'll turn the sticks so they are down and pointed towards the Mavic flying away. Is this not how it should be done? I thought this was how the manual had recommended doing it...

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7.... I always run it in airplane mode.

To me this sounds exactly like the opposite of what you should be doing. When the Mavic is above you, turn the sticks down and as it moves away from you turn them up so that they form a right angle with the body of the controller.

Reactions: c36steve
I agree with Mike sounds like you are doing the opposite to what you should
IMG_8644.JPGIMG_8645.JPG
Picture 1 is correct, 2 is wrong

Always keep antenna at the recommend 45deg angle. Are you fully updated inc GO4? I was having poor quality video feed after 2500 feet just like you and I thought about trying the FCC mode but after the most recent GO4 update I've found I can fly much further with uninterrupted video feed. My only distance limitations are now my gonads

The flat part of the antennas, not the tip, should be facing the model. Think of it like a baseball glove to catch that signal. You wouldn't catch a ball with your fingertip, you'd catch it with your palm.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys