DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Balvaird Castle, Perthshire, Scotland - Mavic Mini

Cool subject! Great imaging.
Vid is a bit long for the subject, IMHO.
I’ll acknowledge that I find it difficult to shorten my vids when editing.

Reactions: MOFO64
Cool subject! Great imaging.
Vid is a bit long for the subject, IMHO.
I’ll acknowledge that I find it difficult to shorten my vids when editing.
It's fine to make a long edit for the purpose of testing a variety of cinematic moves, but there should be more variety in this one. I really like the opening shot. You could have continued over the castle continuing to increase elevation as you tilt gimbal down. Gimbal tilts often look best accompanied with elevation change (tilt-down/increase and vice versa). Use speed ramping when the travel is too long (over the field).

Your POI speed is quite slow and redundant. Vary your composition from one cut to the next. Get closer.

Rake backwards with gimbal down and as you pass over the subject, tilt the gimbal up and increase elevation to maintain the axis from the center point of rotation. Try another with gimbal straight down, start over the roof and increase elevation. Try your POI backing away from the subject for a good closing shot (one of my fav's). Increase your POI speed as you move farther away from the subject.

If there's no one around the castle, try some chest level passes through the open ruins and that little wall opening... not from 200 meters away, obviously.

I try to plan my cinematic moves before visiting the site. Once I arrive, I'm always a bit anxious and forget stuff. View your clips in post with an eye towards anticipating the moves and the timing and execution of gimbal tilts and other combination moves. The most magical clips utilize both joysticks and gimbal in perfect harmony. Develop a natural feel for moving around subjects and landforms.

Avoid yaw unless automated (POI). Smooth directional changes are very difficult to execute, requiring only the lightest touch on the left stick. When in doubt, fly straight. If you're moving off line, back up and start over. Slightly off-axis travel often looks better than perfect alignment.

Beautiful light quality at the time of day you were flying. Well done, great subject and hope to see more wonderful scenes of Scotland.

Reactions: MOFO64 and scro
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929