DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Barbados... Taking a drone THROUGH Barbados.

GiT Airways

Reactions
Hi all.

I'm in the UK and in February, due to fly to Barbados to hop on a Cruise ship for 2 weeks.

Now, there have been horror stories, scare stories and times of no issue about Barbados, but I was wondering if I could take it through Barbados to the ship.

Tui have already given the nod, stating I can take the Drone onboard but I'm NOT to fly it from the ship (pretty obvious).

But Barbados see to have a real hard on against drones - as such, 3 emails in and still no reply from their Telecoms people. Emailed the Caribbean Council too, but also, no dice.

Anyone with any recent experiences?

Rick.

I work in South America and often go to Barbados or St Maartens with my Mavic. I put it in my carry on with the batteries drained.
I work in Guyana and have had to get a permit to fly. It took over 3 months to get. So maybe do some google research on permits in Barbados?

I work in South America and often go to Barbados or St Maartens with my Mavic. I put it in my carry on with the batteries drained.
I work in Guyana and have had to get a permit to fly. It took over 3 months to get. So maybe do some google research on permits in Barbados?

I have and they seem to want to make it difficult. BUT, their licence is to fly it in Barbados, I just want to bring it in and straight out. Going to be annoying I reckon this 1.

I was on holiday in the Caribbean this year, not on a cruise, staying on an island.The amount of people that came off the cruise ships with their drone & flew them in Sint Maarten was 80% more then previous years I’ve seen. I have been going to SXM for the last 17 years & stay in Philipsburg where the ships moor up so that’s how I’ve noticed the difference.

Not sure about Barbados but I’m sure someone will pipe in;) I can’t see it being a problem bringing it in then straight back out, but that’s just me talking.

Bet one of your stops is Sint Maarten;) you will love it

Hi all.

I'm in the UK and in February, due to fly to Barbados to hop on a Cruise ship for 2 weeks.

Now, there have been horror stories, scare stories and times of no issue about Barbados, but I was wondering if I could take it through Barbados to the ship.

Tui have already given the nod, stating I can take the Drone onboard but I'm NOT to fly it from the ship (pretty obvious).

But Barbados see to have a real hard on against drones - as such, 3 emails in and still no reply from their Telecoms people. Emailed the Caribbean Council too, but also, no dice.

Anyone with any recent experiences?

Rick.
Ive just done the cruise fly to barbados then straight to ship which is fine you never went into terminal building direct to ship but coming home could have problem at security very strong rules havnt lifted a ban on drones since 2016 can apply for permit was told decided against to much hastle

Now, taking the drone out would be exporting as opposed to importing. I've been talking to a guy at the Barbados Government and he said going to the ship and back home actually, won't be a problem - but to fly it there, needs the licence. $17 USD, peanuts. I'm sending the request this week :)

Now, taking the drone out would be exporting as opposed to importing. I've been talking to a guy at the Barbados Government and he said going to the ship and back home actually, won't be a problem - but to fly it there, needs the licence. $17 USD, peanuts. I'm sending the request this week :)

I'll be traveling to Barbados in April, and I sent an e-mail to Mr Devonish about 2 weeks ago, with no answers so far. Have you managed to obtain your license?

I'll be traveling to Barbados in April, and I sent an e-mail to Mr Devonish about 2 weeks ago, with no answers so far. Have you managed to obtain your license?

Sure have, in Barbados right now but too windy to fly it here. Leaving today too so will see how the airport return goes.

I posted $20 to the Barbados address from their website and they emailed me the license. All really simple.

You'll know in 24 hours if the leaving port was as smooth.

Sure have, in Barbados right now but too windy to fly it here. Leaving today too so will see how the airport return goes.

I posted $20 to the Barbados address from their website and they emailed me the license. All really simple.

You'll know in 24 hours if the leaving port was as smooth.

Cool thanks, last question: What did you write in Frequency Range and R.F. Power Rating of Transmitter in the TU033 form if you remember?

Thanks!

Cool thanks, last question: What did you write in Frequency Range and R.F. Power Rating of Transmitter in the TU033 form if you remember?

Thanks!

OK, Airport return... straight through. I showed the license to the Customs guys on the boat where you need to submit immigration papers - his reply was hilarious "What's that? I don't need that, but are you flying it today? I would love a go!?"

At the airport, I had the Mavic, Controller, 2 batteries in a fire proof case and spare props all in a single rucksack that was in my hand luggage bag. Barbados is a little behind and have nothing up stating all electronics to be scanned out of their bags. So I took the rucksack out and said to the security guy all in this bag is my drone. To which he replied "That's fine like that, I mainly need laptops and tablets, Sir".

It went through, as did the rest of my crap and that was that.

As for the details, where I cheated, was I also sent them the full spec sheet:- Mavic Pro – Specs, Videos, Downloads and FAQ

State you'll be using the controller - 2.4GHz-2.4835GHz and that if you need to revert to phone control, it is WiFi frequency...
  • Operating Frequency
  • 2.4-2.4835GHz; 5.150-5.250 GHz; 5.725-5.850 GHz

• Transmitter Power (EIRP)
  • FCC:<=26 dBm
    CE:<=20 dBm
    SRRC: <=20 dBm
    MIC: <=18 dBm

Print off the full spec sheet and state you have attached it to help the relevant department.

Job Jobbed :)

Are you staying in Barbados or cruising?

OK, Airport return... straight through. I showed the license to the Customs guys on the boat where you need to submit immigration papers - his reply was hilarious "What's that? I don't need that, but are you flying it today? I would love a go!?"

At the airport, I had the Mavic, Controller, 2 batteries in a fire proof case and spare props all in a single rucksack that was in my hand luggage bag. Barbados is a little behind and have nothing up stating all electronics to be scanned out of their bags. So I took the rucksack out and said to the security guy all in this bag is my drone. To which he replied "That's fine like that, I mainly need laptops and tablets, Sir".

It went through, as did the rest of my crap and that was that.

As for the details, where I cheated, was I also sent them the full spec sheet:- Mavic Pro – Specs, Videos, Downloads and FAQ

State you'll be using the controller - 2.4GHz-2.4835GHz and that if you need to revert to phone control, it is WiFi frequency...
  • Operating Frequency
  • 2.4-2.4835GHz; 5.150-5.250 GHz; 5.725-5.850 GHz

• Transmitter Power (EIRP)
  • FCC:<=26 dBm
    CE:<=20 dBm
    SRRC: <=20 dBm
    MIC: <=18 dBm

Print off the full spec sheet and state you have attached it to help the relevant department.

Job Jobbed :)

Are you staying in Barbados or cruising?

Thanks for the info! Really appreciated!

I'll be staying in Barbados for 8 days and plan to drive the entire island and intend to film my friends surfing. I'm a bit skeptical to send cash by mail, just in case someone takes the money and claims they never received it or denies the license (I'm Canadian, so no US cheques unfortunately). I was just hoping they'd pre-approve my e-mail before I send everything by mail, but I guess I should just do a leap of faith? haha. I just sent an e-mail to [email protected] as well this past Friday, hoping to receive a sign of life.

I'll be staying in Barbados for 8 days and plan to drive the entire island and intend to film my friends surfing. I'm a bit skeptical to send cash by mail, just in case someone takes the money and claims they never received it or denies the license (I'm Canadian, so no US cheques unfortunately). I was just hoping they'd pre-approve my e-mail before I send everything by mail, but I guess I should just do a leap of faith? haha. I just sent an e-mail to [email protected] as well this past Friday, hoping to receive a sign of life.

It's $20, it's nothing. Send it recorded delivery so you can track it and make sure you plonk your email on the sheet and they'll email you the license. They'll not pre-approve anything either as they look at each one on a 1-2-1 basis.

You do need to be ready for the wind too, it stopped me flying in Barbados.

Did you ever get a reply via email I'm flying in come July and trying to gather any new information needed to get my permit taken care of.. Thanks in advance

Did you ever get a reply via email I'm flying in come July and trying to gather any new information needed to get my permit taken care of.. Thanks in advance

No replies whatsoever, and I sent by mail the application with 17USD as described online during the first week of march. Still nothing. I guess I just lost that 17USD (registered mail would of cost me 25CDN on top of it with no guarantee of them processing my application....)

No replies whatsoever, and I sent by mail the application with 17USD as described online during the first week of march. Still nothing. I guess I just lost that 17USD (registered mail would of cost me 25CDN on top of it with no guarantee of them processing my application....)

I hope it gets processed for you I'm gonna mail mine off here in the coming week

I seen his number posted 246-535-2500 maybe can help you out some

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190318-114949_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20190318-114949_Email.jpg
    552.4 KB · Views: 38

cool you have a reply, i'll try to e-mail those 2 additional people then if I don't get anything by Friday this week at the latest. I'm flying into Barbados on April 8

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803