DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Basic drop system for Mini 2

Malpaso

Reactions
I'm looking for a basic drop system for my Mini 2 for deploying Ham radio antennas. I want to be able to pull 100 feet or so of surveyor string up and over a tree. I don't need anything extensive, and want to keep under weight if at all possible.

I'm looking for a basic drop system for my Mini 2 for deploying Ham radio antennas. I want to be able to pull 100 feet or so of surveyor string up and over a tree. I don't need anything extensive, and want to keep under weight if at all possible.
Curious, how much does 100ft of surveyor string weigh? Does the 100ft of string imply a tree 50 feet or less in height?

I have been thinking about a purely mechanical drop setup of some kind.
I have seen several electromechanichal units on the Bay and elsewhere(example pictured below), but they seem very large for the Mini 2, and frankly they cost more than I want to spend for one. The example below looks like it would need gear extenders, unless one hand launches/lands. If they are needed, I suggest my ultralight DIY gear extenders to save weight.
For one like the unit pictured, I do not think it would be too difficult to make an electromechanical one, as long as the range required was not too great.

I would be interested to see how you solve this, keep us posted please.

Attachments

• Dropper1.jpg
    Dropper1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Dropper2.jpg
    Dropper2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 26
There has been some converstaion on one of the Ham radio email reflectors, and one idea a couple of us came up with is this. Instead of a drop mechanism, lightly attach the line to the drone (painters tape?) enough so that it doesn't come undone naturally, but not enough that it would come loose if it got tangled.

Fly the drone straight up over the tree (say 50'). Then fly straight out double the height of the tree (100') then back toward the tree. Once it is back to the tree the line should have sagged to the ground without impacting the rotors. It can then be taken by hand, and enough slack pulled to allow the drone to land, again without the line in the rotors. The line can then be attached to the antenna wire and pulled by hand.

It *should* work, in theory, but will need some careful testing in a controlled environment before attempting in the bush. I'm planning on experimenting this weekend in my back yard.

If the line is too heavy for drone you can use fishing line to drop over tree.
When i am trying to retrieve model planes, that have been grabbed out of the air by trees, i use a slingshot.
I have a small sinker attached to fishing line, shoot that over branch, pull heavier line up if needed and shake the branch.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag