DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Basic Photography ....Please

saltcodnewfie

Reactions
Hi,
I'm new to the Mavic drone. The whole flying aspect is fine. What I'm terrible at is photography ;-)
There is lots of info in the forums on alllllll kinds of settings.
Can someone please explain in simple terms what ISO, SHUTTER SPEED, and FPS mean to a camera and what affect the settings for each will have on the recorded video /pictures.
thanks in advance, this is a great forum.

ISO measures the sensitivity of the image sensor.
The same principles apply as in film photography – the lower the number the less sensitive your camera is to light and the finer the grain.
Higher numbers mean your sensor becomes more sensitive to light which allows you to use your camera in darker situations. The cost of doing so is more grain (although cameras are improving all the time and today many are able to use high ISO settings and still get very useable images).

In photography and digital photography the shutter speed is the unit of measurement which determines how long shutter remains open as the picture is taken. The slower the shutter speed, the longer the exposure time. The shutter speed and aperture together control the total amount of light reaching the sensor.
Since the Mavic does not have an aperture adjustment slip on ND Filters must be used to diminish the amount of light that is let into the cameras sensor.

Definition - What does Frames Per Second (FPS) mean?
Frames per second (FPS) is a unit that measures display device performance. It consists of the number of complete scans of the display screen
that occur each second. This is the number of times the image
on the screen is refreshed each second, or the rate at which an imaging device produces unique sequential images called frames.

ISO measures the sensitivity of the image sensor.
The same principles apply as in film photography – the lower the number the less sensitive your camera is to light and the finer the grain.
Higher numbers mean your sensor becomes more sensitive to light which allows you to use your camera in darker situations. The cost of doing so is more grain (although cameras are improving all the time and today many are able to use high ISO settings and still get very useable images).

In photography and digital photography the shutter speed is the unit of measurement which determines how long shutter remains open as the picture is taken. The slower the shutter speed, the longer the exposure time. The shutter speed and aperture together control the total amount of light reaching the sensor.
Since the Mavic does not have an aperture adjustment slip on ND Filters must be used to diminish the amount of light that is let into the cameras sensor.

Definition - What does Frames Per Second (FPS) mean?
Frames per second (FPS) is a unit that measures display device performance. It consists of the number of complete scans of the display screen
that occur each second. This is the number of times the image
on the screen is refreshed each second, or the rate at which an imaging device produces unique sequential images called frames.
That’s a nice cut and paste from Wikipedia or wherever you grabbed it re FPS but not highly relavent to the OP’s question. He is interested in the camera operation, display screen refresh rate is analogous to the camera shutter speed. FPS, in this context, is the number of discrete still images that make up the recorded footage. Simply put 24fos will give slight motion blur which provides for a similar feel to the footage as you ordinarily see in commercial movies. Higher FPS will give the depiction of smoother motion and higher detail, particularly while the canemers is panning or there is a lot of movement in the scene.

Reactions: Yooper2nc
It's good to know the basic in digital camera setting
If you would like to shoot better pics with your Mavic
There are a few setting that are helpful to get better pictures
Out of your mavic
and some Mavic Pro owners shoot some amazing pictures.!
I'm not There yet.... but were I came from 19 month ago I'd like to think I have improved
(picture wise not spelling)
.....cR

Last edited:
Reactions: Cdcolt and Porky
It's good to know the basic in digital camera setting
If you would like to shoot better pics with your Mavic
There are a few setting that are helpful to get better pictures
Out of your mavic
and some Mavic Pro owners shoot some amazing pictures.!
I'm not There yet.... but were I came from 19 month ago I'd like to think I have improved
(picture wise not spelling)
.....cR
fixthis3.jpg

Don’t really remember. Mp2 Pro. I think I had set the aperture at 4 or the next one down. The rest would have been auto. White balance at 5800 is what I generally set. Timing was the key on this one.

Reactions: charliesRig
There were several shots taken. That was the one I liked best. If I told you how far away from home point it was, the drone police would be annoyed.
Its a beautiful image regardless of how far away you were from the drone.....

That photo kicks ***, brilliant;) but now show the op what it was like before post so he can get a better understanding of what the camera can actually do.

A before & after would be good for the op so that he can see what’s achievable with photo editing.

I’m learning the post side myself but it’s daunting when you see photos like that as a beginner & think it was taken as standard, how the camera caught it.;)

I’m not criticising & love your photo but the op might also be interested what post can actually do too.;)

edit on the fly Not post edit but appature setting on Mavic in flight

Post edit

Last edited:
Reactions: Porky
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Venture3344555