DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries etc. . .

SkyWizard

Reactions
- What are your thoughts on buying used?
- Can they be obtained for less than amazon price?

Buying used? Be very wary, they are usually for sale for a reason, had many charges, poorly cared for, badly stored etc. Sometimes a seller has lost their drone and is selling the rest of their kit.
You are on safer ground if you buy a complete used Mavic with batteries.
Remember a battery failure in flight is usually terminal.
Me? I would not buy used batteries.

I agree with Jayfdee. There's usually a reason for it, and even though there are probably a lot of 2nd hand batteries in fine condition online, you can never tell it actually is until it's too late. Never blindly believe the seller claiming "no damage" or what else because that usually remains undefined. A battery that dropped 10 times off a dining room table with somehow no visible cracks may be considered "undamaged" to the seller, whereas it could be internally ruined.
For what the drone costs, I'd say play it safe and just buy a new battery. The absence of a constant worry on whether or not the battery is safe alone is worth the money.

Reactions: Seanjo
Edit initial comment. Thought you meant second drone.
Not worth buying second hand batteries unless it’s from someone you know and trust.

I have bought and sold hundreds of used batteries, and have had the good luck of not getting any defective ones. I usually buy them as part of a package, but the owners always tell me if they are not holding a charge, have been damaged, or if they are puffed. If there are any marks on them, or charge unevenly, I usually wont buy them. If you use Paypal to buy them and they turn out to be bad, you can always file a claim if the seller refuses to take responsibility.

You can reduce your risk by buying used batteries with a low cycle count that are still under the factory 6 month warranty. You can check by serial number. Just make sure they werent damaged in any way.

Used OEM DJI batteries are better than any new or used generic battery. I never buy generic batteries or props.

I just bought a third party battery from amazon and it's working great, saves you about 45 bucks (no tax on it) and it's free shipping. At least from amazon ca. They just recently upped the price from 89 CAD to 95 CAD but still much cheaper, I have only 2 flights on my new battery so it's not broken in yet but the flight time is the same as the branded DJI battery. I've had no flight issues or fitment issues, the batter colour is just slightly different by a shade, but I have no issues with that. I plan to test the hell out of it this weekend when the weather finally hits the teens up here. But like I said I had no issues in 4 degree temps with it.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078LR2NKQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett