DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries slightly swollen after charge

Ice_2k

Reactions
Hey guys,

So I finally received my Air 2 yesterday and after charging the 1st battery up to 100% I noticed it had a very slight swollen belly. I compared it to the other two in my FMC and it very clearly was not sitting as straight on the table as the other two. I then charged the 2nd battery up to 100% and the same thing happened. I checked the two swollen batteries this morning and overnight they went back to normal. I'm now charging the 3rd battery to see if this exact pattern happens again. Is this normal behavior?

Last edited:
I cant see your picture, but mine have it ever so slightly, all 3 of them.
its not really noticeable to look at, but if I place them on a table they all rock ever so slightly which would indicate some very slight swelling.

There was no picture posted, I don't know what that twitter link was, I removed it. Probably a forum error from quick-posting.
Yes, that's exactly how mine are, only really noticeable when sat on a table.

Mine are all three slightly bowed out on the bottom, and arrived that way, even before their first charge. It is concerning, as that is what happened to the M2 batteries after 6 months of use, rendering them unsafe for flight. The MA2 automatic discharge to 96% just 24 hours after charging, to prevent swelling, is even more annoying. You have to use the USB battery adapter to discharge it to 95% before the charger will even top it it off to 100% before flight.

Reactions: Marcass Carcass
UPDATE: as expected, the 3rd battery behaved in the same way, slightly swollen after charged to 100%.

Also, see reply about this problem on the DJI forums

1590139280390.png

Reactions: gb160
What do you mean? If left to charge normally it won't reach 100%?
I need to reconfirm, but based upon my initial testing, batteries that were charged over 24 hours ago, are deliberately auto-discharged by DJI to 96% battery, which is not low enough to allow them to be topped off when place back on the charger, without first bleeding off another 1% of the charge to get them down to 95%. Losing 4% of every battery charge after 24 hours is a huge hit to flight time, especially when traveling without access to power. I get upset when my M2 batteries are 99% at launch, as I need every second of flight time! I often use one battery to warm up the drone, locate satellites, format the card, and fulfill any surprise prompts for compass calibration, and to authorize GEO unlocks, and then swap batteries for the actual flight to start out at 100%, as a warm battery swap is ready for flight within seconds.

I need to reconfirm, but based upon my initial testing, batteries that were charged over 24 hours ago, are deliberately auto-discharged by DJI to 96% battery, which is not low enough to allow them to be topped off when place back on the charger, without first bleeding off another 1% of the charge to get them down to 95%. Losing 4% of every battery charge after 24 hours is a huge hit to flight time, especially when traveling without access to power. I get upset when my M2 batteries are 99% at launch, as I need every second of flight time! I often use one battery to warm up the drone, locate satellites, format the card, and fulfill any surprise prompts for compass calibration, and to authorize GEO unlocks, and then swap batteries for the actual flight to start out at 100%, as a warm battery swap is ready for flight within seconds.
got it, thanks

got it, thanks
I just force topped all three of my MA2 batteries to 100% tonight, so I need to wait 24 hours to let at least one reach 96% to retest trying to top off at 96%. Fortunately, DJI did supply a USB charging adapter in the Combo kit to allow the MA2 battery to be bled off, by connecting it to an iPad or iPhone that it can charge. If it is only 1% that needs to be bled off, that should only take a few minutes.

Reactions: Ice_2k
Hey...Contact DJI IMMEDIATELY!!! They may have a battery warranty issue.
Lipo Batteries should NOT swell PERIOD!!!
Swelling is a warning sign that there is outgassing which only happens long term.

Swelling is a warning sign that there is outgassing which only happens long term.
DJI support have already replied, 'Slightly swelling of the battery is normal after charging'

• Wow
Reactions: Slade
I have 3 batteries for my Air 1 that are swollen. 2 are bad enough I don’t want to use them. All are 2 years old or less.

My take is if they are saying that then they have a massive problem. Buyer be ware!

• Haha
On YT Billy Kyle has a posting on this issue , so swollen that they don’t sit when clipped in.

I’ve been following this thread with great concern, my Mavic Air 2 arrived last night. Having ordered the fly combo, and only flown two flights I am using a battery holder from the Mavic 2 Pro. This bracket holds the battery in place incase battery were to swell and force its way out during flight. Mavic 2 had this battery swell issue last year, all my Mavic 2 Pro batteries swelled. Fortunately, Caught it in time and replaced them.

This bracket also secures a tracker, An insurance just in case I can’t locate the drone if it goes down. Use this bracket with each flight, With Evo 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Pro and now the Mavic Air 2. So far, Mavic Air 2 batteries are not showing signs of swelling. Hopefully, it stays that way.

DJI needs to address this issue, Hope it doesn’t take Mavic Air drones dropping from the sky due to swelling batteries to correct this issue.

Everyone please strap down the battery one way or another, play it safe eventually these batteries will pop out during flight.

Paul5FACA9A2-839C-423B-AA30-5471520A2463.jpeg21F9FB68-EBD3-4F15-997B-4E5ED8C998DA.jpeg

Last edited:
I cant see your picture, but mine have it ever so slightly, all 3 of them.
its not really noticeable to look at, but if I place them on a table they all rock ever so slightly which would indicate some very slight swelling.
That is the charge taken. They have their tummy full of juice.

DJIs reply to this that its normal for slight swelling is BS. BOBEC231 is absolutely right. I dont know if DJI is out sourcing there batteries but if so they need to find a better supplier. If DJI is producing there own batteries then the suck at it and its time start out sourcing. In any case DJI supplies the batteries, the charger and the Drone force lands when it determines the battery is low. Basically they force the care of the batteries on themselves and should warrentee the batteries for either a fixed number of charge cycles or time. Personally I found that the batteries on the MAVIC 2 when allowed to discharge on there own dont discharge low enough for a safe storage. DJI deff knows how to make a killer drone but they are big time lacking in the battery department.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji