DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries swelling

youngster30uk

Reactions
I have MA flymore for about 6 months, the batteries probably have about 60 ish cycles on them each. They are always hot after use. I have noticed recently that after use, they are very slightly swollen. It is hard to see, and only on the bottom of the battery, but it goes away quickly as the battery cools. I live in Thailand, the average temperature is mid 30 degrees C.

Should I be concerned?

I have MA flymore for about 6 months, the batteries probably have about 60 ish cycles on them each. They are always hot after use. I have noticed recently that after use, they are very slightly swollen. It is hard to see, and only on the bottom of the battery, but it goes away quickly as the battery cools. I live in Thailand, the average temperature is mid 30 degrees C.

Should I be concerned?
the biggest killer of lipos is as you know extreme heat and or extreme cold,where you live you are at normal temp already at the higher end of the scale for lipos and when they are in use you are probably approaching the top end of the scale at around 40 c you need some sort of storage place with a lower temp that the ambient air temp say a cooler box with a cold pack in it to keep the batts at the lower end of the scale before and after flight ,put a towel over the ice pack and dont put the batts directly on top of it.check the individual cell voltages and provided they are within the permitted range then you should be ok if after the batts have cooled down and are still swollen, then i would not use them to fly as they can be ejected from the drone during use if they swell to much also store them at the recommended charge level when not in use

I just found 2 of my 5 batteries bloated. I can see the 2 major reasons for it.
1. I kept them charged 100 % as I use it for work but often can;t use the drone as planned. So they stay fully charged for several days
2.I often kept it in my car. Indonesia is around 30+ deg C and in the car it might easily be 50+ often.

So I probably spoiled the bats that way as the charging cycle was only 23.
Lesson learnt...................

Reactions: Shon
They only swell very very slightly. On the bottom.It is difficult to even see it really. It is in any way normal that they will have some slight swelling after use or should they just have zero swelling? They go back to normal as they cool.

They only swell very very slightly. On the bottom.It is difficult to even see it really. It is in any way normal that they will have some slight swelling after use or should they just have zero swelling? They go back to normal as they cool.
Well , I just noticed it. Battery power is normal. Bt I saw a thread here from Malaysia. His bloated battery damaged his Mavic Pro. The pressure broke the drone frame. Also the battery could detach during flight. I am still monitoring the swelling.

I have had 2 of my MA batteries fail just before and just after 6 months. One was replaced in warranty by DJI. Both of these failures almost cost me a lost drone. Mine were bought as a fly-more package.

It was speculated here in the past that the fly-more package may possibly be stored in a warehouse that is not adequately temperature controlled. Although I never noticed swelling, I wasn’t carefully looking for it.

Seeing this swelling could prevent a problem for you and others to not use that battery for a longer mission.

I guess I am buying new batteries. I thought (was hoping) that it was logical they would swell a little during use because of heat), but it seems otherwise :(

\

A little late to the message thread, but here is how all my batteries look:
2019-07-28 09.27.28.jpg
The question is, what is too much swelling? As long as the battery clips in tightly so you can't pull it out without pressing the black buttons, it should be OK, right?
2019-07-28 09.27.42.jpg

A little late to the message thread, but here is how all my batteries look:
View attachment 78719
The question is, what is too much swelling? As long as the battery clips in tightly so you can't pull it out without pressing the black buttons, it should be OK, right?
View attachment 78720

Did you ever hear the story about the three men interviewing to be stage coach drivers?

The first boasted that he could drive the stage coach so close to the edge of a cliff, that the wheel would touch the edge but never go over.

Not to be outdone, the second claimed that he could put the wheel half-way over the cliff and still maintain control.

The third stated that he stays as far away from the edge of a cliff as possible.

Who do you think got the job?

If you push the limits of your lipo battery, don’t be surprised by the results. Your drone may fail with zero warning and at the most inopportune time.

I would personally chose to replace any batteries that have noticeable swelling, but that’s just me...

My MA “fly more kit” batteries all had an extremely slight bulge on the bottom when out of the box, new. So slight that I didn’t really notice it until I bought an extra one a few months ago and it was completely flat, and it occurred to me they’d always been like that. I showed it to my wife and she says “yeah, maybe I can see that, maybe” but it’s probably a fraction of a millimeter (far less than the photos posted above). The batteries sit perfectly flat on a table. No problem snapping them in easily. I’ve seen the comments about warehouse storage, but that seems to be pure speculation, though there seem to have been some bad batches.

I defer to the experts on this, but it seemed to me to be slightly lax tolerances in the enclosure rather than an issue with the cells. I’ve never had a problem through about 150 flights and AirData’s data says the batteries are healthy (though I know this is not a good thing to rely on). I’m just not sure I’d spend a couple hundred bucks to replace what might be perfectly fine batteries. I only fly where I could most likely recover the drone if something went wrong (and have DJI care) so I feel pretty safe.

I also unrelentingly keep them between 40-60% if they’re not going to be flown in a few hours (I don’t think any of them have ever been at 100% for more than 12 hours and I throw them either in front of an AC or in a cooler to cool them down right after flight).

Reactions: JoeBWan and jimlips
My three batteries are also (sometimes) very slightly swollen when they're hot right after flight and they flatten after couple minutes. It's really small bulge, only visible against the edge of the battery label. They do this since their first use and now they all have around 60 cycles. As an precaution after flight I don't put them straight in the bag but leave them in the shady spot until they cool themselves a bit.

Reactions: jimlips and JoeBWan
Remember DJI only covers Batteries for 6 Months. So if you have Bloating / Swelling, expect this Reply from them;
(JULY 2018 Batteries from Fly More Kit Purchase).
"
Apple (DJI Support)
10月19日 CST01:29
Dear James,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We appreciate your time and effort in bringing this inquiry. We will be happy to help you.

Regarding your concern, upon checking on the information of your three batteries on our system, we found out that they are all out of the warranty period. Base on our After-Sales Policy, we only have a 6 months warranty for battery.

We strongly suggest purchasing and new batteries
on our online store or at any local seller near you.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Should you have any questions or other concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you for choosing DJI! Our goal is to provide you the best customer service you only deserve.
Best regards,
Apple
DJI Technical Customer Support
YouTube: DJI Tutorials

Should I be concerned?

You need to take swollen lipos out of your house. They are dangerous.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS