DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries

Octavio

Reactions
DJI Smart Batteries go into self-discharge mode, they do get warm during this procedure.
I took my swollen battery to Drone Care in the area for cell replacement.
They are awesome guys.
There we chatted about keeping healthy batteries, and in the Car on a hot sunny day and flying with a hot battery! That is extremely bad for a battery. They also recommended that if we charge a battery and don't use it on that day! We should not keep it in the bag because we don't know when it's going to get self-discharge and, in the bag, it gets hotter for a longer period of time.

Reactions: Fort Worth Boy
I read your posting and noticed your location and I clicked on it because I was unsure of where "Seremban, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia" was located. Google Maps brought up the following graphic. I clicked on the photo of the houses and a series of photos came up. What amazed me was that in almost all of the photos, no one was included. It was almost Ghostly since there were no people in the photos… How strange…

map.png

• Haha
Reactions: Octavio
DJI Smart Batteries go into self-discharge mode, they do get warm during this procedure.
They are awesome guys.
There we chatted about keeping healthy batteries, and in the Car on a hot sunny day and flying with a hot battery! That is extremely bad for a battery. They also recommended that if we charge a battery and don't use it on that day! We should not keep it in the bag because we don't know when it's going to get self-discharge and, in the bag, it gets hotter for a longer period of time.

I have many fond memories of Seremban and visited it many times (maybe 25 or 30 times?) on business ... having worked for Motorola Semiconductor my entire career. I obtained the funding for the ISMF facility, and established the joint veture facility with Philips there. I'm pretty sure that everything has changed ownership at least a couple of times since then, but I'm retired now and lost track of all of that long ago. The people there are probably the nicest folks I have met anywhere in the world. I envy you.

They are awesome guys.
Excellent on the heat created by the "auto discharge" feature. Surely never thought of that.

They also recommended that if we charge a battery and don't use it on that day! We should not keep it in the bag because we don't know when it's going to get self-discharge and, in the bag, it gets hotter for a longer period of time.
I view the self discharging feature as something that happens if I did not do my job. I bring down (by flying) all batteries to a 50% charge. Then when I get home I charge any batteries I have used up to 50%. I am a recreational flyer and if I don't fly for a long while, I know my batteries are at a good storage level.

I read your posting and noticed your location and I clicked on it because I was unsure of where "Seremban, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia" was located. Google Maps brought up the following graphic. I clicked on the photo of the houses and a series of photos came up. What amazed me was that in almost all of the photos, no one was included. It was almost Ghostly since there were no people in the photos… How strange…

View attachment 161709
Yes, you are quite right. Malaysia is very Hot and Humid. It's very uncomfortable to be outside. People here chose to go out early in the morning or late in the evening just before Sundown.

I have many fond memories of Seremban and visited it many times (maybe 25 or 30 times?) on business ... having worked for Motorola Semiconductor my entire career. I obtained the funding for the ISMF facility, and established the joint veture facility with Philips there. I'm pretty sure that everything has changed ownership at least a couple of times since then, but I'm retired now and lost track of all of that long ago. The people there are probably the nicest folks I have met anywhere in the world. I envy you.
Yes, quite true! The people are very nice and humble.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Excellent on the heat created by the "auto discharge" feature. Surely never thought of that.
Yes, it does generate quite a lot of heat. I think that it’s excessive heat. Thus, the reason is that if I feel the need to discharge a battery, I rather just leave the Drone with the power On, on the floor and try and do some Software Updates or go through my settings for a few minutes. It doesn't get as hot as self-discharge.

the reason is that if I feel the need to discharge a battery, I rather just leave the Drone with the power On, on the floor and try and do some Software Updates or go through my settings for a few minutes. It doesn't get as hot as self-discharge.

Provided the drone concerned has an internal cooling fan.

I do this with my M1P and Spark if I land with a little too much battery life left, just download the video while packing up, use up another 10% if needed.

I've never had an issue with leaving my drones and batteries in their backpack / charging station, enclosed etc.
The batteries get slightly warm to the touch discharging, but my original 6 batteries and 5 batteries respectively are still original or at least a few years old, and still perform like they did when new.

I'd definitely rather fly them to 50% if the flight(s) allow, and if I fly them down to the usual 20-25%, I will watch them when charging and take them off when the 3rd led starts flashing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji